2024 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 14-16)

31 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

While every year state may have a negative impact on BOASA attendance, I’m thinking it may have the opposite effect on GN attendance. I’m wondering if Cedar Park will sit out of the super to attend GN?

I think that would almost be a certainty.  It's more than just the tremendous added expense of going to Indianapolis, but with State occurring every single year-- during the school week-- and then all the school time it would take to attend the competition in Indiana, taking still MORE time off from school to do a third competition in San Antonio, moves into the realm of being a non-starter.  Even if it's only that Friday, that's almost always at the end of a 6-weeks grading period, which is a pretty big deal.

I could be wrong but I can NOT envision a world where Cedar Park skips state!  Leander did BOA SA, UIL and GN in 2016 so I can definitely see CP pulling off something similar. They might skip BOA SA, but I don’t see them skipping State. They’re the champions y’all!  😍💚😍

EDiT:  I see now that you were talking about them skipping the SA Super and not UIL!  Unfortunately this is going to become a real trend with UIL happening annually for everyone now. 

Edited by LeanderMomma
I misunderstood the assignment

20 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I could be wrong but I can NOT envision a world where Cedar Park skips state!  Leander did BOA SA, UIL and GN in 2016 so I can definitely see CP pulling off something similar. They might skip BOA SA, but I don’t see them skipping State. They’re the champions y’all!  😍💚😍

Oh no, I was commenting on the idea of CP skipping BOA-SA to go to Indianapolis.  Which I think would be a certainty.

I agree that there's zero chance CP would skip State.  CP values State above everything else.

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh no, I was commenting on the CP skipping BOA-SA to go to Indianapolis.  I agree that there's zero chance CP would skip State.  CP values State above everything else.

Ohhhh I definitely missed that part!  Yes I agree about seeing them potentially skipping the SA SR!  Sorry for misunderstanding!

And I suppose if I haven't already, I'll go ahead and out myself as a CP band parent, and regular pit pack volunteer (the parents who help move equipment and props around).  It's been such a joy supporting these kids, watching their incredible hard work pay off, and being able to be down on the field at the Alamodome where the magic happened. 😀

I'm also a former band nerd myself, I played French Horn/Mello for Anderson High in Austin, many years ago.  But boy has it all evolved since I was a kid.

Seems like a lot of folks would be excited to see CP go to the 2024 Grand Nationals, but I can honestly say it's not really being discussed amongst the band boosters yet, and no specific fundraising has begun.  I'm not one of those band parent "insiders" who are privy to the band directors' innermost thoughts, but right now I'd have to say I'd be pretty surprised if CP went to Indianapolis next year.  Doesn't mean it won't happen, I have no crystal ball and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express.  I just think the band parents would probably have heard something more specific about it by now, if the plan were to do that a year from now, especially considering the additional fundraising that would be required.

And I'll be honest-- as a parent that will have TWO kids in the Cedar Park marching band next year, the idea of the sheer expense of that trip, terrifies me! 🤣

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And I'll be honest-- as a parent that will have TWO kids in the Cedar Park marching band next year, the idea of the sheer expense of that trip, terrifies me! 🤣

Oh wow, but how incredible would that be!

Yes, CP is just a rumor for now. But it won’t hurt my feelings if y’all go. I’ll even help fundraise!  🤪

10 hours ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Curious who else is headed that way, either rumored or based on rotation? 
I feel like Reagan, Vista Ridge, Marcus, Flower Mound, LD Bell, Tarpon Springs, Wakeland, Leander, Vandegrift, Keller Central, Dobbyns Bennet, Wando, and Broken Arrow are due for a return.

Schools like Coppell, Timber Creek, Forney, Bridgeland, Cy Fair, Seven Lakes, Lonestar, Waxahachie, Westlake, Westwood, and Rouse all should consider going!

Flower Mound and Marcus are on rotation, they'll be back in 2025 

From what I've heard Bridgeland is all but confirmed, and Rouse and Leander are thinking of going.

Vista Ridge I highly doubt will go considering they went in 2021 and had the Rose Parade in 2022, and Reagan has an odd rotation but I doubt they go next fall.

What I really want is more 5A schools to go. I know that funding in general from 6A to 5A schools may be pretty significantly different, I'd love to be filled in, and while I understand it's mainly 6A schools that go because they probably have a higher chance of finals/most of the ones that go tend to do well all season long, I'd love for groups like Aledo, Burleson Centennial, Richland, the Frisco schools, etc. to go. it would make AAA a lot more competitive, and I think they would do very well. I know F-Wood is I'm pretty sure planning on going in 24, sounds like CP may be, but Idk I just would really love that, heck even bands like Celina and Anna. I know it's a really expensive trip but I'd love for it to happen. 

I’m curious how grand nats cost are funded for bands.  I am sure there are multiple ways, just curious if anyone here would be open to sharing how your band handles this added expense?

Are they  part of the yearly fees, and they are just more on a grand mats year?

Are they paid for by fund raising through the band or the boosters?

Are they an addition fee not covered by normal band fees or fund raising?

22 hours ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Curious who else is headed that way, either rumored or based on rotation? 
I feel like Reagan, Vista Ridge, Marcus, Flower Mound, LD Bell, Tarpon Springs, Wakeland, Leander, Vandegrift, Keller Central, Dobbyns Bennet, Wando, and Broken Arrow are due for a return.

Schools like Coppell, Timber Creek, Forney, Bridgeland, Cy Fair, Seven Lakes, Lonestar, Waxahachie, Westlake, Westwood, and Rouse all should consider going!

🤭

1 hour ago, stix said:

I’m curious how grand nats cost are funded for bands.  I am sure there are multiple ways, just curious if anyone here would be open to sharing how your band handles this added expense?

Most likely there is an extra cost on the band fee, and/or monthly payments that go towards the trip. Obviously extra fundraising does help towards this, but transporting 200-350 kids plus directors, chaperones, equipment, etc. is no easy task.

10 hours ago, pancake said:

i feel like the biggest school in texas that has never gone to nats is coppell. like they have had rumors of going for almost like 5 years now but have not made the trip. they are long overdue and i really feel like they need to make the trip up to indy.

They were supposed to go in 2020, but then covid had other plans.

2 hours ago, stix said:

I was heavily involved with planning/fundraising for a central TX band last year that went to Nationals last year.  The Grand Nats fees were in addition to the regular band fees for our band.  The GN fees were paid directly to the travel agency that planned our logistics (air, hotel, food) for each student.  The fundraising we did would be sent to the travel agency in a lump sum and then divided equally among the kids' accounts.  (ex. $20,000 divided among 200 kids = $100 off everyone's balance).

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

And I suppose if I haven't already, I'll go ahead and out myself as a CP band parent, and regular pit pack volunteer (the parents who help move equipment and props around).  It's been such a joy supporting these kids, watching their incredible hard work pay off, and being able to be down on the field at the Alamodome where the magic happened. 😀

I'm also a former band nerd myself, I played French Horn/Mello for Anderson High in Austin, many years ago.  But boy has it all evolved since I was a kid.

Seems like a lot of folks would be excited to see CP go to the 2024 Grand Nationals, but I can honestly say it's not really being discussed amongst the band boosters yet, and no specific fundraising has begun.  I'm not one of those band parent "insiders" who are privy to the band directors' innermost thoughts, but right now I'd have to say I'd be pretty surprised if CP went to Indianapolis next year.  Doesn't mean it won't happen, I have no crystal ball and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express.  I just think the band parents would probably have heard something more specific about it by now, if the plan were to do that a year from now, especially considering the additional fundraising that would be required.

There is plenty of time to fundraise for next year so don't worry.  I also feel your pain about sending two kids to Grand Nats.  I did that last year.  

I thought I saw this on another thread, but it's probably appropriate to discuss it here.  I pulled these dates for UIL State from a thread that @LeanderMomma posted on, but if these tentative dates end up being correct, that's going to be a very tough turnaround for the top 6A bands to play State Finals on Tuesday afternoon 11/12 and then get to Indy in time for prelims as early as the morning of 11/14.

November 4, 5, 6, 2024: 1A/3A/5A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)
November 11, 12, 13, 2024: 2A/4A/6A Contests (dates tentative and site tbd)

It would obviously be easier for the 5A bands to make it to Indy and, although it hasn't been announced yet, I'm assuming BOA-SA will slot in during the weekend in between State competitions, like this year, so it would be 11/8-11/9.