2024 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 14-16)

8 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

I know is still gigga early, but when do boa schedules normally come out, or, when should we expect around to have the 2024 lineup?

Also one last desperate attempt lol, I’m still looking for either of Lovejoy’s performances from BOA Prosper 😕

Never exactly sure when they release, but I vivdly remember a few years ago they ran a “Twelve Days of BOA” campaign around the holidays where each day they revealed a little more about the BOA schedule. Maybe it will coincide with the holidays once again!

On 11/13/2023 at 10:47 PM, Tubalord11 said:

What I really want is more 5A schools to go. I know that funding in general from 6A to 5A schools may be pretty significantly different, I'd love to be filled in, and while I understand it's mainly 6A schools that go because they probably have a higher chance of finals/most of the ones that go tend to do well all season long, I'd love for groups like Aledo, Burleson Centennial, Richland, the Frisco schools, etc. to go. it would make AAA a lot more competitive, and I think they would do very well. I know F-Wood is I'm pretty sure planning on going in 24, sounds like CP may be, but Idk I just would really love that, heck even bands like Celina and Anna. I know it's a really expensive trip but I'd love for it to happen. 

As much as I’d love for my school (Burleson Centennial) to go to grand nats, that’ll never happen lol. It would still be cool to have more AAA (5A) reps though

What I really want is more 5A schools to go. I know that funding in general from 6A to 5A schools may be pretty significantly different, I'd love to be filled in, and while I understand it's mainly 6A schools that go because they probably have a higher chance of finals/most of the ones that go tend to do well all season long, I'd love for groups like Aledo, Burleson Centennial, Richland, the Frisco schools, etc. to go. it would make AAA a lot more competitive, and I think they would do very well. I know F-Wood is I'm pretty sure planning on going in 24, sounds like CP may be, but Idk I just would really love that, heck even bands like Celina and Anna. I know it's a really expensive trip but I'd love for it to happen. 

Forney is planning it, it’s not likely to be next year from what I’ve been made aware of, but… it’s sometime in a few years. 

On 11/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, ChristopherRoden said:

read on the other thread a rumor that Broken Arrow is dropping Cartwright…

This appears to be true and would be a massive shift in the marching band world considering how essential Cartwright has been to Broken Arrow's rise over the past few decades. That said, if what I've heard about the culture and instruction at Broken Arrow under him are true then I'm not surprised that they've decided to move on from him, especially in this day and age where that "old-school" teaching mindset really isn't acceptable anymore.

15 hours ago, 11BandMan11 said:

On another note - It's always interesting how there are a ton of other EXTREMELY successful "old school" band directors who did not and still do not resort to or utilize some of the methods that we all know are not just wrong for kids, but if we're really honest with ourselves, not just borderline, downright abusive.

There's a very big difference between holding students accountable / having high expectations and communicating that appropriately to CHILDREN at the high school age, and verbally accosting / screaming / threatening / etc. CHILDREN for the sake of 'the art'. Accountability is good, high expectations are good, when POSITIVELY reinforced by staff and students alike. 

Absolutely agree. When I used the phrase "old school" I mainly refer to those directors that have a tendency to get verbally aggressive, threatening, and downright nasty towards their students without any of the positive reinforcement, all for the sake of trying to create a successful band program. I know there are plenty of older band directors out there that have not resorted to this type of culture under their direction and I applaud them for helping to set the standards that high school marching band is at today. As someone who marched for a director that was very much similar to Cartwright in their teaching practices, I absolutely do not think that is necessary or acceptable to run a successful band program and I'm glad that nowadays we are seeing less and less of that mindset in the marching band world.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:39 PM, cheeto2401 said:

year from now predictions

1st - Vandegrift (that's only if they go, if they dont, move everyone below up 1 spot)

2nd - Carmel

3rd - Avon

4th - Hebron 

5th - The Woodlands

6th - William Mason

7th - Round Rock

8th - Keller

9th - Marcus

10th - CTJ

11th - Dripping Springs

12th - Bentonville

(in case vandy doesnt go, then 12th would be Fishers)

guys change this for next year to be whenever all of these bands meet eachother in like 60 years

with anna moving to 5A it is a possibility. Celina has loads of money to shell out, so I'm sure by 2030 we can see them there especially with the rapid growth of their school district and city.

8 hours ago, tylerolivera said:

with anna moving to 5A it is a possibility. Celina has loads of money to shell out, so I'm sure by 2030 we can see them there especially with the rapid growth of their school district and city.

Money in the program /=/ nats trip.

A lot of bands prefer to commonly take non-competition trips to Disney or Universal (occasionally New York) or really anywhere to fill in for a band trip. Sometimes they perform in parades there or other similar exhibitions. 

I would be very happy to see the talents of Ana or Celina at nationals, but I'm just being realistic with existing trends.

Also, money in the school and district /=/ money in the program.

• 3 weeks later...