UIL 6A 2023 State Finals

LeanderMomma

4 minutes ago, LHSax said:

It's so weird seeing the prop argument from this perspective considering Marcus (the band that "should wipe the floor") in its heyday (late 2000's, early 2010's) was notoriously known for their extravagant props, which often sparked debate on here along the lines of "Marcus is only winning because of their huge prop budget" (this was not the case). Seeing the opposite argument of "Vandy shouldn't win" due to lack of props is bizarre to say the least. 

Indeed.

Why do props and flags and riffles matter?  All of this wreaks of sour grapes. 

2 hours ago, bancl said:

Here is something I would love to know:

Who are the designers for each of the 14 Finalists?  Program Coordinator, Drill Writer, Arranger?  

The Woodlands- Coordinator / Drill Writer:  Jon Vanderkolff; Arranger Wayne  Downey. Think it has been this exact team since 2006’s Hide & Seek!

Vista Ridge: Coordinator / Drill - Vanderkolff; Arr. Ryan George

Vandegrift: Coordinator(?)/Drill- Jeff Sacktig. not sure on rest 

2 hours ago, bancl said:

Who are the designers for each of the 14 Finalists?  Program Coordinator, Drill Writer, Arranger?  

I can give you arrangers

Vandegrift - JD Shaw? I think

Marcus - Michael Klesch

Hebron - Dave Glyde/Michael Martin

Flower Mound - Wayne Downey

Vista Ridge - Ryan George

The Woodlands - Wayne Downey

Ronald Reagan - Aaron Guidry 

Coppell - Ryan George

Pearland - Jim Wunderlich

Bridgeland - Jim Wunderlich

Cy-Fair - Bryan Harmsen

Waxahachie - Evan Vandoren

Round Rock - Vince Oliver

Keller - Carol Britten Chambers (90% sure)

3 hours ago, bancl said:

Coppells head director is Kim Shuttlesworth, their fine arts director for the district is Gerry Miller, Matthew Rummel writes their drill and directs their color guard program, and their music is arranged by Ryan George, afaik.

Reagan has not used props for sometime now and rather have focused on drill, guard, unique movements and elements that are easy to miss, as well as an interesting twist on music to design their shows.  I have been a fan of theirs for several years because of their understated and elegant style that I think is easy to overlook despite their innovation.  I am a fan of the little things and I appreciate their style.  Props or no props, all of those 14 bands performed amazingly well and any of the top 7 could have medaled. 

Looking at the amount of state finalists from each area(1st number) and how many qualified for state (2nd number) and how bands on the bubble for state finals 15th-21st (3rd number).

A - 0/4/0

B - 3/7/1

C - 3/6/1

D - 2/5/3

E - 0/4/0

F - 1/5/0

G - 0/3/0

H - 2/4/2

I - 2/5/0

Area B and C are the strongest performing areas but D and H had all of their band place in the top 1/2. There are probably several bands in those areas that are good enough for state but are in areas that are too competitive. I would like to see state go to a 50 band system and award extra spots based off of last year’s state performance for the area. think this could be done, and help provide new schools and more competition.

just an idea.

4 hours ago, LHSax said:

It's so weird seeing the prop argument from this perspective considering Marcus (the band that "should wipe the floor") in its heyday (late 2000's, early 2010's) was notoriously known for their extravagant props, which often sparked debate on here along the lines of "Marcus is only winning because of their huge prop budget" (this was not the case). Seeing the opposite argument of "Vandy shouldn't win" due to lack of props is bizarre to say the least. 

I recall Marcus around 2007 or so with the wild show with seahorses and whatever running all over the entire field. I loved it for entertainment value as a non-musician parent of a kid from another band.

Let me get a little bit more specific to avoid the troll label:

Vandegrift had one especially challenging woodwind part at the beginning of their show. Hebron actually had a similar one, but it lasted longer AND they were moving...

The big thing I think Vandy did was execute INCREDIBLY well. I just think that shows up way too much in the scores and content just doesn't count for much. I mean, power to 'em -- they've figured out how to win State pretty handily.

However, if you watched all 4 shows yesterday and you honestly thought Vandy's was anything close to the LISD books...
I dunno, I guess I'm honestly asking. Do you really think that? Is sportsmanship really so much more important than excellence?

I think UIL needs to take a really good look in the mirror. Running an easier show cleaner than someone else ran an obviously far more difficult show doesn't seem like it's pushing the sport.

Significant swathes of the crowd gasped when Hebron landed in 3rd. They had a REALLY clean Finals run, although visually...*shrug*, I dunno, I need to watch again to make a visual evaluation.

It's just incredibly frustrating; I surmise Vandy couldn't pull off the LISD shows -- especially Hebron's. But it's pretty obvious the LISD 3 could definitely pull off Vandy's show.

/rant. I'll go away now.

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

I can give you arrangers

Vandegrift - JD Shaw? I think

Marcus - Michael Klesch

Hebron - Dave Glyde/Michael Martin

Flower Mound - Wayne Downey

Vista Ridge - Ryan George

The Woodlands - Wayne Downey

Ronald Reagan - Aaron Guidry 

Coppell - Ryan George

Pearland - Jim Wunderlich

Bridgeland - Jim Wunderlich

Cy-Fair - Bryan Harmsen

Waxahachie - Evan Vandoren

Round Rock - Vince Oliver

Keller - Carol Britten Chambers (90% sure)

Vandegrift’s music book is written by Andrew Markworth 

1 hour ago, BandFan23 said:

Looking at the amount of state finalists from each area(1st number) and how many qualified for state (2nd number) and how bands on the bubble for state finals 15th-21st (3rd number).

A - 0/4/0

B - 3/7/1

C - 3/6/1

D - 2/5/3

E - 0/4/0

F - 1/5/0

G - 0/3/0

H - 2/4/2

I - 2/5/0

Area B and C are the strongest performing areas but D and H had all of their band place in the top 1/2. There are probably several bands in those areas that are good enough for state but are in areas that are too competitive. I would like to see state go to a 50 band system and award extra spots based off of last year’s state performance for the area. think this could be done, and help provide new schools and more competition.

just an idea.

Area E has pearland as a state finalist

I have been on this forum for 10+ years and that has to be one of the nastiest write ups to date. Had to stop reading, so embarrassing 

Any band kid reading these posts — imperative to realize that there is so much to be proud of about your season beyond a numeric placement. The grit, dedication and guts it takes to field these modern shows is unfathomable

I marched when it was just Marcus and Bell crushing everyone in Texas. Now I question if some of those legendary shows would even medal at competitions today! Irrespective of placement this talent and intensity of competition in the Top 14 is pushing the activity to heights I could never have predicted 10 years ago.

This activity shifts because kids rise to the occasion and choose to commit themselves excellence. That is how new standards evolve and transpire - and it happens no matter the hardware or recognition. GTFOH. 

1 hour ago, BoAisBetter said:

Let me get a little bit more specific to avoid the troll label:

Vandegrift had one especially challenging woodwind part at the beginning of their show. Hebron actually had a similar one, but it lasted longer AND they were moving...

The big thing I think Vandy did was execute INCREDIBLY well. I just think that shows up way too much in the scores and content just doesn't count for much. I mean, power to 'em -- they've figured out how to win State pretty handily.

However, if you watched all 4 shows yesterday and you honestly thought Vandy's was anything close to the LISD books...
I dunno, I guess I'm honestly asking. Do you really think that? Is sportsmanship really so much more important than excellence?

I think UIL needs to take a really good look in the mirror. Running an easier show cleaner than someone else ran an obviously far more difficult show doesn't seem like it's pushing the sport.

Significant swathes of the crowd gasped when Hebron landed in 3rd. They had a REALLY clean Finals run, although visually...*shrug*, I dunno, I need to watch again to make a visual evaluation.

It's just incredibly frustrating; I surmise Vandy couldn't pull off the LISD shows -- especially Hebron's. But it's pretty obvious the LISD 3 could definitely pull off Vandy's show.

/rant. I'll go away now.

Two points I'll make

1 - If you question Vandy's ability to perform any music, you really are just showing your ignorance. Love them or hate them, they are an incredibly accomplished program with fantastic musicians. 

2 - Please stop referring to Lewisville ISD as LISD as if they are the ONLY relevant LISD in the state. There is another LISD involved here with even more numerous highly accomplished marching band programs than Lewisville ISD has, each of whom could play any piece of music you throw at them and do it with excellence.

Yeah, we're talking about, arguably, the top two school districts for marching band in the country.

37 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

2 - Please stop referring to Lewisville ISD as LISD as if they are the ONLY relevant LISD in the state. There is another LISD involved here with even more numerous highly accomplished marching band programs than Lewisville ISD has, each of whom could play any piece of music you throw at them and do it with excellence.

Thanks for saying that. I saw LISD in earlier posts and was confused because I immediately thought Leander ISD since I live in central Texas.

4 hours ago, bsk said:

I recall Marcus around 2007 or so with the wild show with seahorses and whatever running all over the entire field. I loved it for entertainment value as a non-musician parent of a kid from another band.

I remember this!  I was a kid watching my sister perform at state when I saw Marcus perform.  I thought it was so fun!  That's still the only time I've ever been lucky enough to see a contest in the alamodome.

4 hours ago, bsk said:

Close. It was their 2006 show, “Coral Reef: Voices From Beneath the Sea”.

Here’s a link to the performance on YouTube in case anyone wanted to watch it:  

9 hours ago, oddlynormal said:

As an older dog in this world it is hilarious to see people flame a band for not having props.  

Back in my day we whined about the opposite.  Boy things have changed.  I think marching band has evolved to a point that it has pushed boundaries we once would have called blasphemy.  I am glad UIL has moved to this new system.  Every single band in finals played well...most bands out of finals played well.  What we have done allowing UIL to transform to include the evolution of the activity has made marching band EVERY BIT as valuable, if not more so, than a lot of DCI activities.  I would say marching band is starting to push DCI a bit.  The lived experience is getting pretty dang close!  Not to say a high school band can perform at the level of a top tier corps, if given the same rehearsal structure, I think quite a few of these bands easily very well could.  

Y'all complaining about the level at which a band performs is comical.  Every single band had a tough as nails book visually and musically.  Everyone has a right to an opinion, but unless you are getting your rear end kicked in the ring with these groups you are whining.  Stop that.  Appreciate the art and the hard work that goes into this activity.  Tearing down another group isn't cool.  

I say that Marching band comps are as a whole more fun and varied than most Drum corps events and I’ve gotten flamed by it before,

I mean when I say I’ll take Hebron 2021 as a spectator experience against any drum corps show I’ve seen the past several years and I mean that, it’s been hard to beat!! You could say the same thing about shows like Reagan 2019, several others that were the “lightning in a bottle” peak shows for respective programs.
Glad I’m not the only one with the same take!🙃