UIL 6A 2023 State Finals

LeanderMomma

1 hour ago, Iplaydadrum said:

Coppell does both a percussion show and their show music during the competition season. I'm pretty sure that their percussion show is way harder than their show music and they likely spend more time on their percussion show. If both were hard it'd be pretty hard to get either one clean by the end of the season. 

Even then, I feel like 13th in state is still really low for one of the best percussion programs. Again, I can’t really tell that much of a difference between the different drum lines, but I’d figure they’d at least be top 7 at state

45 minutes ago, BoAisBetter said:

No offense to any Vandy fans here, but I genuinely hope Marcus wipes the floor with Vandegrift at SA SR.

“Dance team,” no props, and frankly easy music…

Genuinely no idea why they’ve struck gold these last 2 years at UIL. 

No offense but the music they are playing is not easy and it quite frankly seems like you're trying to discredit those kiddos hard earned success which is a no go

11 minutes ago, boppellband said:

Even then, I feel like 13th in state is still really low for one of the best percussion programs. Again, I can’t really tell that much of a difference between the different drum lines, but I’d figure they’d at least be top 7 at state

I would need to see the recaps for finals if that's what you're referring to, but achievement and content go hand and hand. That's why if a drumline played 8's they wouldn't score very high for achievement even though it's clean. I have not seen their show music in person or on video, so I don't know how difficult their music is compared to their standstill show, but I have heard a decent chunk of the top 14's percussion and it's fierce out there. I don't doubt the judging as I agree with the placements that Brooks and Romanowski decided as I probably would have said the same thing, at least for the groups that I've been able to sample. Just to clarify Coppell's percussion is probably pretty clean on the field, it's likely just their show music isn't as hard compared to the rest of the top 14. 

17 minutes ago, packwick said:

imma say the fact that they prob had the cleanest show visually based on watching area vids?? cleanest intervals/spacing, good control of timing, cleanest transitions, clear logical and musical transitions, best control of the form in motion, most balanced forms, dynamic, varied, cleanest and most advanced guard, plenty of difficulty in the drill, layered, rich vertical and horizontal orchestration, great projection of style, feet looking clean from upstairs.

as to your guuuard question you need to look at the variety, range, and depth of the vocabulary. depth of talent too. does your guard have over 30 members literally running and spinning rifles at the same time before cleanly punctuating that phrase with a clean 30+ member rifle toss? are they blending the movement with the equipment or do they just park and do a basic short phrase? how long and dense are the spinning phrases? how much ambidexterity? are they working from all parts of the equipment? are they varying the height of the tosses, the release and catch points as well? are they doing body work under the toss? it's super easy to do the same basic toss over and over and ooover again. not impressive. how developed are the dynamic efforts of space, time, weight, and flow? is the guard's movement uniform and clean? is the equipment going up and down at the same time when you're looking at it from upstairs? is it pure chaos lol? those kinds of things.

def you're not alone on these forums on the vis side of things!! im constantly baffled by ppl's takes on vis performance here LOL. many directors don't understand it either!!

Thanks for the detailed answer. I'll try to start watching guard more and the winds less to gain an appreciation for that side.

1 hour ago, BoAisBetter said:

No offense to any Vandy fans here, but I genuinely hope Marcus wipes the floor with Vandegrift at SA SR.

You may want to back off of the salt. I know it hurts when you favorite band doesn't win but you cannot honestly believe the Vandy book is easy. If it was your favorite band probably would have played it.  

6 hours ago, aaron067 said:

Vandegrift's music was one of the hardest books on the field this year.  Period. 

Their dance team exhibits the same level of skill in dance that the best guards exhibit in equipment work.  It's different, not lesser than.

Props have exactly no place on any rubric in any competitive circuit.  If a group chooses to use props and they're integrated into the design in an interactive manner, then that can contribute to design/ge points.  Otherwise, they don't add or detract.  Especially at UIL.

My only rhetorical question here, just as absurd to ask as the contention being thrown out, they have all these objections to Vandy, if they’re not the winner in your eyes, where would you rank them? They have all these failings apparently, should they even be in finals at all?😂

16 minutes ago, bancl said:

Here is something I would love to know:

Who are the designers for each of the 14 Finalists?  Program Coordinator, Drill Writer, Arranger?  

I think Pearland is with Cartwright. I don’t know the rest.

I think Keller might be arranged by Chambers? I don’t know whether they still work with her or not.

14 hours ago, BoAisBetter said:

unsure why you're under the impression that having props or not somehow makes a show better or more difficult -- total non-sequiter. quite frankly w/ the general design direction high school band has been trending in, it's refreshing to see a program be so successful without spending tens of thousands on fabricating props.