2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

On 11/1/2023 at 12:20 PM, itsstephenyo said:

Quick answer, yes, very much so. I know this is kinda ancient history, but I'll always remember the 2004 season in which Stephen F. Austin placed like 20 something at SMBC and then got 4th at Grand Nationals, winning music. Just shows that they score very, very differently. 

They also changed the UIL rubric after 2020 (for 6A only), 2021 was the first time they used the new rubric.

Going from 3 general music judges and 2 general visual judges 

To Ensemble Judge, Brass judge, Woodwind Judge, Perc Judge, Inv Visual Judge, Ensemble Visual Judge Judge, and Content and Design Judge.

This makes the Judging more similar to BOA, although there are differences, for example in 2021 CTJ getting 3rd at BOA SA and then 8th at UIL, or Cedar Ridge in 2022 going from 9th at BOA SA to 3rd at UIL

But Overall it seems much more like BOA, judging and bands at the top tend to stay at the top switching between contests, but then again its only been 2 years so we shall see

20 minutes ago, lost said:

Nervous for Cedar Park. That 1st performance time is not easy for any band. 

I think Cedar Park is going to give a great performance and comfortably make finals regardless of their prelims performance slot. Plus an early performance time means they’ll be well rested come Saturday vs a band that performs at say, 9PM and still have a 2 hour drive back to the band hall.

3 hours ago, DankBOA said:

They also changed the UIL rubric after 2020 (for 6A only), 2021 was the first time they used the new rubric.

Going from 3 general music judges and 2 general visual judges 

To Ensemble Judge, Brass judge, Woodwind Judge, Perc Judge, Inv Visual Judge, Ensemble Visual Judge Judge, and Content and Design Judge.

This makes the Judging more similar to BOA, although there are differences, for example in 2021 CTJ getting 3rd at BOA SA and then 8th at UIL, or Cedar Ridge in 2022 going from 9th at BOA SA to 3rd at UIL

But Overall it seems much more like BOA, judging and bands at the top tend to stay at the top switching between contests, but then again its only been 2 years so we shall see

So prior to 2021, were the 3 music judges each have their own area... that is one judged brass, another woodwind and the third percussion? Or do they all judge music like they still do in area?

2 hours ago, Zil said:

So prior to 2021, were the 3 music judges each have their own area... that is one judged brass, another woodwind and the third percussion? Or do they all judge music like they still do in area?

Exactly like area, the area rubric is the old state rubric. General Music Judges

I’m 99% positive I know the answer to this but I couldn’t find the answer today on the BOA website so here it goes. If my kids’ band performs on Friday will I also need to purchase prelim tickets for Saturday to see the finals announcement?  I’m assuming I will need to purchase a second prelim session ticket. In addition to the finals ticket. 

Man, poor Cedar Park. Even for a band as amazing as them, going first really hurts their chances at a competition like this.

It doesn’t look like Hebron is attending BOA SA this year, which is pretty disappointing because I’ve been routing for them pretty much all season. They should compete in BOA Grand Nationals one year. With how much they’ve been climbing up in the ranks, they have a strong chance of winning.

I have high hopes for Wakeland this year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they make finals. Heck, they might even get 1st in AAA.

Speaking of AAA, Aledo has a lot of potential this year, too. With a few bands that would normally be a lock for finals not attending, that leaves a few more of the lower placements up for grabs. I also think Aledo is a possible candidate for Outstanding Music Performance in their class.

L.D. Bell stands a fair chance of inching their way into finals as well, which would be nice to see because I’m pretty sure Bell hasn’t made finals at San Antonio since 2019.

9 hours ago, DankBOA said:

some of those bigger shifts b/w BOA and UIL might honestly just have been judges disagreeing w/ each other too. happens a lot.

looots more overlap in the language of the sheets than in past. biggest diff now is UIL giving each choir its own judge and putting most of those judges upstairs. BOA's indiv music judge is at field level and does all three for 10% of the score.

also, points of consideration like "frequency/demand of movement while playing", "content with respect to challenge", and "simultaneous responsibilities" literally appear on every single sheet in UIL, for example in content/design all 3 of them appear making up about a 3rd of the "what" half of the sheet, whereas in BOA POCs like that are only explicitly mentioned in the performance captions and are absent in effect.

My Current Contenders for Finals (alphabetical order). Predictions are based on past results as well as my familiarity with the program. I have 19 different programs on here LOL

• Bridgeland 
  • Cedar Park
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • James Bowie
  • Keller Central
  • Lake Travis
  • LD Bell
  • Leander
  • Marcus
  • Ronald Reagan 
  • Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • Timber Creek
  • Vandegrift 
  • Vista Ridge
  • Wakeland
  • Westwood
  • The Woodlands 

My completely biased predictions, and I have not seen every show so the bottom half will for sure be wrong.

1- Marcus (M) (GE?) Personally their show has been the most enjoyable show to watch, but they have some rough visual spots and some trouble with timing. 

2- Vandy (V) (GE?) I find their show to be lacking something, but I can’t put my hands on it. However, that is mainly an issue I have with their show design, the marchers execute this show wonderfully. I feel like Marcus and Vandy will each get a caption, and their respective GE scores will determine who gets the gold. 

3- TWHS Also a contender for the GE caption, and have some strong visuals. I could for sure see them place higher than 3rd, and I’m pretty confident they’ll at least medal. 

4- Vista I feel like Reagan and Vista will place very close together, I think Vista as of state has the edge, but improvements made during the week could change things.

5- Reagan ^

6- Rouse Definitely a top half finalist, I could see them taking 4th or 5th, but most of their strong musical moments are when they are standing still, and lack some clarity musically on the move

7- Cedar park 

8- Wakeland 

9- Bridgeland First time seeing them at state, I was very impressed 

10- Cedar Ridge 

11- CTJ

12- LD Bell 

13,14- ?

If I didn’t list any likely finalist bands it’s because I haven’t seen their show, so this list is going to be very wrong. I also put a much larger weighting on music than BOA does.

6 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

My Current Contenders for Finals (alphabetical order). Predictions are based on past results as well as my familiarity with the program. I have 20 different programs on here LOL

• Bridgeland 
  • Cedar Park
  • Cedar Ridge
  • Claudia Taylor Johnson
  • James Bowie
  • Keller Central
  • Lake Travis
  • LD Bell
  • Leander
  • Marcus
  • Ronald Reagan 
  • Round Rock
  • Rouse
  • Timber Creek
  • Vandegrift 
  • Vista Ridge
  • Wakeland
  • Westwood
  • The Woodlands 
  • Wylie

Wylie isn't going this year, just Wylie East 

7 hours ago, JosephTuba said:

1- Marcus (M) (GE?) Personally their show has been the most enjoyable show to watch, but they have some rough visual spots and some trouble with timing. 

2- Vandy (V) (GE?) I find their show to be lacking something, but I can’t put my hands on it. However, that is mainly an issue I have with their show design, the marchers execute this show wonderfully. I feel like Marcus and Vandy will each get a caption, and their respective GE scores will determine who gets the gold. 

3- TWHS Also a contender for the GE caption, and have some strong visuals. I could for sure see them place higher than 3rd, and I’m pretty confident they’ll at least medal. 

4- Vista I feel like Reagan and Vista will place very close together, I think Vista as of state has the edge, but improvements made during the week could change things.

5- Reagan ^

6- Rouse Definitely a top half finalist, I could see them taking 4th or 5th, but most of their strong musical moments are when they are standing still, and lack some clarity musically on the move

7- Cedar park 

8- Wakeland 

9- Bridgeland First time seeing them at state, I was very impressed 

10- Cedar Ridge 

11- CTJ

12- LD Bell 

13,14- ?

I agree with this list mostly!
I'd personally have Vandy and Cedar Ridge lower; Rouse and CTJ higher, but everything else mostly the same.

Wondering if Bridgeland or Wakeland could squeak into the top half! 

I'm really gunning for Leander and another Houston school to take the 13th and 14th spots (maybe cy woods?) 

So excited for this competition to start! So many bubble bands that can push their way into finals!! 

Cedar Park kicking off the day is very fitting for a competition of this caliber and I know they’ll play phenomenally! 

Are there people that are attending that will post thoughts here after a band performs? Watching through y’all’s eyes lol

16 hours ago, CDLune VA said:

Man, poor Cedar Park. Even for a band as amazing as them, going first really hurts their chances at a competition like this.

It wil hurt their chances of being top half and it essentially eliminates their chances of winning the class. But, my guess is that they have a stadium rented out for the rest of today and are going to use the competition time to rehearse for finals. 

18 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

It wil hurt their chances of being top half and it essentially eliminates their chances of winning the class. But, my guess is that they have a stadium rented out for the rest of today and are going to use the competition time to rehearse for finals. 

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I think they will be fairly placed. BOA scoring is way more accurate than UIL scoring.