2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

9 hours ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

I did and agree that they are doing much better. But they are still missing many scoring opportunities in the first half. There are a couple of instances where they are playing to the backfield and when they turn toward the front, their volume is the same or near the same with no impact. The first half is still flat, which it doesn't have to be. There is much potential not being realized.

I know what moment you're talking about and I definitely agree with you, but it seemed a lot better tonight at the football game. Visuals seemed better too even with a couple holes.

11 hours ago, Sideswiperr said:

Just curious, I’d love to see how many people think cy-fair would be a bubble had they been able to attend, it would’ve been nice to be able to see them perform here.

I think they would make it considering how well they did at Katy. It’s a shame they’re not going

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

I'd definitely say Westwood should start being in the talk for finals! We will have a better predictor after St. Louis but I really hope they can slip into finals here! 

def possibility. i should prob move Cedar Ridge to bubble, tho their show may translate better in BOA. they were the one i was thinking of earlier when i said one of my locks might just barely make finals, so them missing state wasn't like super duper surprising for me, just regular surprising lol. but again could see em do better here. kinda hoping they do, to end their season strong.

Happy BOA San Antonio Week!

Hard to believe how fast this season has flown by. But the big moment is almost upon us, especially with 6A State being in the same week. Here's who I think will make finals as of now:

All of last year's returning finalists: Woodlands, Reagan, Vandegrift, Vista, CTJ, Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Cedar Park, and Marcus.

Which leaves 5 spots open:

Rouse is a lock.

Westwood, Wakeland, and Bridgeland have a very high chance for finals as well.

And then there's that last spot. So many groups could take it, but there's in my opinion 6 bands that have the best chance for getting that last spot: Westlake, Timber Creek, LD Bell, Lake Travis, Bowie and Leander.

Westlake, Timber Creek, LD Bell and Lake Travis have an edge in that they each have one or multiple BOA regional finalist placements as well as qualifying for state. However, will finals week fatigue get the better of them by BOA San Antonio?

Bowie and Leander were first and second out of finals in 2022. Despite not qualifying for state, Bowie also has 2 BOA regional finals placements, more rehearsal time to clean and perfect their craft for BOA San Antonio, and has a great performance time for prelims. Leander doesn't have state until the week after BOA, which could also mean vital rehearsal time that could push them back into finals.

Early season success doesn't always hold through until the end, so it'll be interesting to see who gets those 5 spots. It all comes down to the performances themselves and if the judges are buying into what the bands are selling. Good luck everyone!

Welp, the 6A state are 5A area now being done, here are my final predictions for this comp! Definitely gonna be a big battle for those last couple of spots, hoping to see first-times in finals: 

1st. Vandergrift (visual) 

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

4th. Ronald Regan 

5th. Vista Ridge 

6th. Rouse 

7th. Cedar Park 

8th. Bridgeland 

9th. Wakeland 

10th. Cedar Ridge 

11th. Round Rock

12th. CTJ 

13th. Westwood 

14th. L.D. Bell 

1st. Krum (sweep) 

2nd. Pecos 

3rd. Manor New Tech 

AA 

1st. Argyle (sweep) 

2nd. Roma 

3rd. Grapevine 

AAA

1st. Rouse (music/GE) 

2nd. Cedar Park 

3rd. Wakeland (visual) 

AAAA

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

1, I believe in the Cedar Ridge comeback and do believe that they will make finals here. I'd say my bubble bands for finals that I don't have in my top 14 are Leander, James Bowie, Keller Central, Timber Creek, and Westlake. Unfortunately won't be able to watch any of this, hoping our football game is over before they day finals retreat which should happen, but best of luck to all these bands competing this weekend! 

22 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

1, I believe in the Cedar Ridge comeback and do believe that they will make finals here. I'd say my bubble bands for finals that I don't have in my top 14 are Leander, James Bowie, Keller Central, Timber Creek, and Westlake. Unfortunately won't be able to watch any of this, hoping our football game is over before they day finals retreat which should happen, but best of luck to all these bands competing this weekend! 

I too, believe in the Cedar Ridge comeback

27 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Welp, the 6A state are 5A area now being done, here are my final predictions for this comp! Definitely gonna be a big battle for those last couple of spots, hoping to see first-times in finals: 

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

4th. Ronald Regan 

5th. Vista Ridge 

6th. Rouse 

7th. Cedar Park 

8th. Bridgeland 

9th. Wakeland 

10th. Cedar Ridge 

11th. Round Rock

12th. CTJ 

13th. Westwood 

14th. L.D. Bell 

1st. Krum (sweep) 

2nd. Pecos 

3rd. Manor New Tech 

AA 

1st. Argyle (sweep) 

2nd. Roma 

3rd. Grapevine 

AAA

1st. Rouse (music/GE) 

2nd. Cedar Park 

3rd. Wakeland (visual) 

AAAA

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

Seems like a reasonable prediction. I might swap LD Bell and Cedar Ridge. It's hard to believe a state medaling 2022 band won't do well here but it's a weird year for them. 

43 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

4th. Ronald Regan 

5th. Vista Ridge 

6th. Rouse 

7th. Cedar Park 

8th. Bridgeland 

9th. Wakeland 

10th. Cedar Ridge 

11th. Round Rock

12th. CTJ 

13th. Westwood 

14th. L.D. Bell 

1st. Krum (sweep) 

2nd. Pecos 

3rd. Manor New Tech 

AA 

1st. Argyle (sweep) 

2nd. Roma 

3rd. Grapevine 

AAA

1st. Rouse (music/GE) 

2nd. Cedar Park 

3rd. Wakeland (visual) 

AAAA

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

If Vandy wins, they'll probably win GE as well. It's unusual for a band to win effect and lose a contest, although it does happen on rare occasions, like last year. In 2006 and 2011, the band that won GE ended up 3rd. It was extremely surprising both times! In 2011, you could kind of tell it was coming, because GE was announced before 3rd place instead of before 2nd place, which was bizarre at the time.

My expectations for this event actually haven't changed much post-UIL, surprisingly enough! 😄

We shall see!

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

4th. Ronald Regan 

5th. Vista Ridge 

6th. Rouse 

7th. Cedar Park 

8th. Bridgeland 

9th. Wakeland 

10th. Cedar Ridge 

11th. Round Rock

12th. CTJ 

13th. Westwood 

14th. L.D. Bell 

1st. Krum (sweep) 

2nd. Pecos 

3rd. Manor New Tech 

AA 

1st. Argyle (sweep) 

2nd. Roma 

3rd. Grapevine 

AAA

1st. Rouse (music/GE) 

2nd. Cedar Park 

3rd. Wakeland (visual) 

AAAA

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

I like the predictions, but I wouldn't sleep on Pecos! I could see them taking first over Krum, but that's what I think

Even if you expand into the superfecta of Grand Nats Champion, Super Regional Champion, UIL State Champion, and TMEA Honor Band, both schools are STILL in the running to accomplish this feat within five years. An astonishing amount of achievement in such a short time. It’d be crazy if both manage to pull this off in the next two weeks.

8 hours ago, Dave609 said:

I like the predictions, but I wouldn't sleep on Pecos! I could see them taking first over Krum, but that's what I think

100% a possibility! I’m a big fan of Krum, was blown away by their show last year at boa dfw, such big sounds for such a smaller band, but they always put out great shows, so I’m a little biased 

31 minutes ago, GeekBoy54 said:

Post UIL State predictions:

Finalists-

Vandegrift

The Woodlands

Marcus

Vista Ridge

Rouse

Ronald Reagan

Wakeland

Cedar Ridge

Bridgeland

Round Rock

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Westwood

Cedar Park

(1 more...I think it's going to be either LD Bell, Leander, or James Bowie.) 

ill take this list and say that three of these bands will not make finals ---   the shocks of UIL will continue!

10 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

4th. Ronald Regan 

5th. Vista Ridge 

6th. Rouse 

7th. Cedar Park 

8th. Bridgeland 

9th. Wakeland 

10th. Cedar Ridge 

11th. Round Rock

12th. CTJ 

13th. Westwood 

14th. L.D. Bell 

1st. Krum (sweep) 

2nd. Pecos 

3rd. Manor New Tech 

AA 

1st. Argyle (sweep) 

2nd. Roma 

3rd. Grapevine 

AAA

1st. Rouse (music/GE) 

2nd. Cedar Park 

3rd. Wakeland (visual) 

AAAA

2nd. Marcus (music) 

3rd. The Woodlands (GE) 

Is UIL and BoA scoring that different that Reagan will be able to move that far? My wife and I were at finals last night and were both dumbfounded that Reagan was 7th. Both of us felt that there was no way there were six shows better than them. It might have been the high that I was on after seeing our show, but I personally loved Reagan's show and thought it was the best all around. Even being a total homer I was ok with Reagan being first and Vista being second :)

It's crazy, just as soon as I start thinking I have this thing figured out they remind me I know nothing.

Though I am personally quite fond of the Wakeland show, it would seem that their show is typically less well received in prelims than in finals (3rd in Prosper Prelims, 2nd in Area Prelims.) It may be more on the bubble than many would currently think, though I am unsure. Cedar Ridge has a show--while excellently performed--that lacks a certain "it" factor for me. They may be closer to the edge of finals than previously thought. After such a great UIL Prelims run with disappointing results, I'm really hoping Bell pulls into finals here. It would be so nice to see Leander back in finals here though! And I'm sure Bowie is looking to make some noise before Nats. Lake Travis is another one to not overlook!

43 minutes ago, GeekBoy54 said:

Post UIL State predictions:

Finalists-

Vandegrift

The Woodlands

Marcus

Vista Ridge

Rouse

Ronald Reagan

Wakeland

Cedar Ridge

Bridgeland

Round Rock

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Westwood

Cedar Park

(1 more...I think it's going to be either LD Bell, Leander, or James Bowie.) 

I believe Timber Creek still has a good shot at finals here. Though their state placement wasn’t great, I think their BOA placements and scores all season are something to look out for. Still definitely a contender here.

2 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

Is UIL and BoA scoring that different that Reagan will be able to move that far? My wife and I were at finals last night and were both dumbfounded that Reagan was 7th. Both of us felt that there was no way there were six shows better than them. It might have been the high that I was on after seeing our show, but I personally loved Reagan's show and thought it was the best all around. Even being a total homer I was ok with Reagan being first and Vista being second :)

It's crazy, just as soon as I start thinking I have this thing figured out they remind me I know nothing.

It’s certainly possible. Vandy didn’t medal at SASR last year but later won UIL 6A, although I think that drastic of a difference is somewhat less common. Movement in placement amongst the top 10-14 is pretty likely.

The other thing is that performance variation from performance to performance, even just a few days ago can greatly contribute to differences in placement. With the the top programs all operating at a high level, minor variations in performance can have large ramifications for scoring/placement whereas at a less competitive contest, a top band could have a pretty bad run and still “get away with it”

4 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

Short answer is yes, the scoring is that much different. As a start, music performance at UIL is 4/7 judges (~57%), at BOA it is 20% with Music Ensemble and Music Individual averaged for that 20%. Then you have GE judges (2 for Music and 1 for Visual) that are each 20% of the score, which UIL doesn't really account for, although the design judge has some overlap.

So just some of the differences which can impact the placements between UIL and BOA.