UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

1 hour ago, natertater21000 said:

The detailed recaps from Area H give a much more close picture than the overall ordinals show. Woodwinds for example being 163,164,165 is insanely tight. Gonna be an awesome state contest!3C404F00-27C9-47BD-B1AF-0EAC311AC2B0.thumb.jpeg.0c16602fffb0c663c8c5b2e45d181ea1.jpeg

I’ve been saying….I love Rouse to death but Cedar Park is not going to surrender their title easily.

On 10/30/2023 at 8:27 PM, Tubalord11 said:

In my personal opinion and from what I've heard, it doesn't sound like Burleson Centennial had their best runs at area, which happens to the best of the best, and I think they will do much better at state. I think well respected band would have won that boa comp, it wasn't really competitive other than against Clovis, who is having somewhat of an off year, and I don't think anyone else would have won that US bands comp, they were for sure the favorite. I can definitely see them making finals, but they do have to go on fairly early in the competition, which could hurt them, but it's less of giving credit, I know they are a great band, and more of just what I think is personally going to happen, but I'd love for them to make finals!

Or….Richland was just better.

I think a bunch of you are overlooking Richland and how good they are. They’re a predictions on here leaving them out of the finals and listening them as being on the bubble. At the same time Aledo is listed in there. Go look at the Area F scores. Aledo and Richland were neck and neck with each other. If it wasn’t for one particular judge, Richland could have won Area. So, go ahead and keep overlooking them. 

1 hour ago, BandDad4Life said:

I think a bunch of you are overlooking Richland and how good they are. They’re a predictions on here leaving them out of the finals and listening them as being on the bubble. At the same time Aledo is listed in there. Go look at the Area F scores. Aledo and Richland were neck and neck with each other. If it wasn’t for one particular judge, Richland could have won Area. So, go ahead and keep overlooking them. 

I have them in the bubble, they could easily swap with any of the ones I’m iffy about (besides Lone Star, I love Lone Star too much).

9 hours ago, lost said:

I’ve been saying….I love Rouse to death but Cedar Park is not going to surrender their title easily.

Now is the time of yeah when Cedar Park turns it up. They usually work in some heavy dynamics changes and usually have 1 large unseen visual for state/BOA week. Should be a fun contest and I am happy to see LISD field such a strong class of bands yet again. 

General predictions:

I’m not so sure if Cedar Park is gonna dominate the competition like they always do. Rouse has been on top of them since the beginning of the season, and Wakeland is the strongest they’ve ever been. My money is on Rouse getting 1st, with Wakeland in a close 2nd, and Cedar Park in 3rd. Also, Aledo is gonna be a major factor this year. Their show is absolutely insane, and their band is massive. Their performing capabilities are strong, and they have a powerful field presence akin to that of a 6A band. I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up as the gatekeeper for top 5 with Leander just above them in 4th, and maybe Hendrickson hot on their tail in 6th. Chances are, Burleson Centennial, Richland, and Forney are gonna be real competitive within that 7th to 9th range, and as for 10th to 12th, I have no idea. There are a lot of great bands with potential this year, and honestly, anyone could slip their way into those last three places. Lone Star is getting back up on their feet, McKinney North is pretty strong this year, too. Heck, even Birdville’s show is impressive. Don’t think I forgot about Friendswood. There’s a lot more room for surprises now that Highland Park and Dripping Springs are out of the equation.

1 minute ago, bsk said:

I'm interested to see how Liberty Hill does and what people think. I don't know anything about them except that at Area they kept it from being a Leander ISD sweep by beating out Glenn for the 4th and final state slot.

Yeah, they had an incredible season last year, beating Glenn at area (no CP, Rouse or Leander at area last year since it wasn't a 5A state year), and they are really building off the successes they had last season, super excited to see how they do here!