2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

Amazing performance from Brownsburg!!! While the music may not be the most challenging, they play it at such a high level! Great soloist all around, and the drill is so appealing to the eye, and helps bring out the theme a lot. Love the different variations of the pipes throughout the show, especially the big one at the very end, very cool set! Guard was fantastic throughout, just great show all around, great job Brownsburg! 

24 minutes ago, BandoRando said:

Well, not to add fuel to the fire, but Richard’s son is in Fishers band. 

But I guess we should “give it a rest” and ignore what is arguably the biggest conflict of interest in the marching arts. 

for what it’s worth, WGI has an excellent conflict of interest policy. BOA does not. Why can we do the same? 

WGI does not have a good conflict of interest policy. There are multiple educators that judge both within the SCPA and WGI circuit and many others that have taught members within those programs. People such as Scott Johnson, Mike McIntosh, and Tom Rarick to name a few are heavily affiliated with members within the programs they judge. 

2 hours ago, nightlife said:

I cannot be the only one who is so fed up with Carmel. They were the band who I was least “generally effect”ed by in ALL of semis. I’m so over it. They performed just fine, but if that’s not the most boring show in finals… by FAR
Texas is pushing the activity musically and GE wise, and if they had more time to explore visual they absolutely would be pushing there too. 
rant over.. for now. See ya next season! 

mmmm...salty....better get some water.

Texas is not pushing the activity GE-wise. We, as a state are behind in visual and overall GE with most shows for current tastes of those who judge. Musically Texas is pushing the envelope but people seem to prefer loud and standing to moving and playing. 

Just got home from work and playing catch up. So refreshing to see the Top 3 in semis so so tight! Way to go Team Texas!!

Last few BOA seasons I have been craving for some 2001 Finals level drama*… it’s good for the activity 🙏🏻

*For the newcomers: Top 4 separated by less than 1 point Captions split. Champion wins without any caption wins 

1 hour ago, BOABuff said:

To add a little context,  BA beat Hebron in Prelims and was .6 away from Hebron in semis. It is perfectly reasonable that they came back and won. They had an amazing show and to continue this false narrative that somehow hebron was robbed is disingenuous and tired.  Just stop with the sour grapes already. 

The time slot of a band has an influence on the band's scores. In this case, the judges did not want to score Hebron too high, no matter how good their performance was, because they didn't want to inflate scores. So yes, Hebron was robbed of a second or first-place finish in 2015.