2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

1 hour ago, Asaiah said:

Yeah, for all the bands going to Nats on 3-year and 4-year rotations, it's almost impossible time it right. Marcus was going every 4 years, so they only went to GN three times during their 10 year dynasty, and sadly never won a medal. But LD Bell and The Woodlands were going to GN every year or nearly every year in order to get their titles. And Vandegrift was the exception that proved the rule: it takes consistent attendance to win the Eagle.

TW went in 2006 (where they were class champs but placed 4th in finals, after drawing 1st performance slot). They went again in 2007 and have alternated years since then as to not conflict with UIL State. Wonder how UIL State being every year now will affect TX representation at Grand Nats.

16 minutes ago, Bladezz said:

It most definitely had a lot to do with Hebron going first and Broken Arrow going last. They implemented the current finals slot rule the following season due to how that played out.

That was my freshman year at Hebron and I still remember the shock on all of our faces when our directors told us we would be going first. I will forever imagine “what would’ve happened” if the current finals slotting rule was already in place for that competition.

To add a little context,  BA beat Hebron in Prelims and was .6 away from Hebron in semis. It is perfectly reasonable that they came back and won. They had an amazing show and to continue this false narrative that somehow hebron was robbed is disingenuous and tired.  Just stop with the sour grapes already. 

6 minutes ago, BandoRando said:

FYI, Richard Saucedo was in the Judge’s Suite most of the weekend. Sitting right behind the same judges who were judging 3 of his bands that made finals: Carmel, Fishers, and Brownsburg.

Yes, that’s incredibly weird and wildly unprofessional. Conflict of interest??

And no—no other designer or band director would be allowed in that suite.  They’d probably get a penalty for even trying. 

The fact he’s involved in BOA judging in any way is just wild. He needs to either stop designing/consulting for BOA groups, or resign from BOA as a chief judge.

Goodluck to all groups tonight!!

Are you kidding?! That explains a lot…

If Wes Cartwright, the Ventos, or Harloff even said a word to a judge that would cause hellfire ?! 
But I guess since it’s Carmel… 

4 minutes ago, BandoRando said:

FYI, Richard Saucedo was in the Judge’s Suite most of the weekend. Sitting right behind the same judges who were judging 3 of his bands that made finals: Carmel, Fishers, and Brownsburg.

And no—no other designer or band director would be allowed in that suite.  They’d probably get a penalty for even trying. 

The fact he’s involved in BOA judging in any way is just wild. He needs to either stop designing/consulting for BOA groups, or resign from BOA as a chief judge.

It's definitely a small world in the judging community and with them being active in so many facets of the music world, there are many opportunities for situations that may appear suspect.

1 minute ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

It's definitely a small world in the judging community and with them being active in so many facets of the music world, there are many opportunities for situations that may appear suspect.

Still though, do one or the other. I have a hard time believing that there is no one who doesn’t design for finalists that isn’t qualified to be head judge. 

13 minutes ago, BandoRando said:

Not to mention how he is also head Judge at BOA

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Shoutouts to CTJ, Dripping Springs and James Bowie on an amazing season! Was hoping we could see all 8 txbands in finals, but this is by far the most competitive GN's ever, but ya'll all had an amazing season and should be proud of yourselves for getting this far. Thank you all for the hard work and dedication you put into your amazing shows for us to enjoy! 

This was a tough season for sure! I still see 2021 and 2017 as more competitive GN years from the last decade, but this season had an uber competitive bubble. I am curious to see what the score gaps are between Bentonville, Brownsburg, CTJ, and Dripping. It couldn't be more than a point between 12th and 13th places.

Just now, crunchycookie3 said:

Maybe it is a product of teaching or the Indiana sound, but having no moments that are difficult to listen to should be the bare minimum for a finalist group.

Call me spoiled with the Texas sound but I had to turn down the volume and at times step away from the computer during that show

4 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I’m trying to make my peace with Fishers over Dripping Springs here…. I mean absolutely no disrespect to those kids who are conveying a cute theme quite well, but I felt there was an absolute different level of performance achievement from Dripping Springs. I’m very bummed for those children. Fugue State had no moments that were difficult to listen to, and the same cannot be said about Fishers’ holiday show. Maybe it is a product of teaching or the Indiana sound, but having no moments that are difficult to listen to should be the bare minimum for a finalist group.

If the Saucedo thing is true, this is very disheartening and diminishes the prestige of the title “Grand Nationals Finalist”

The chief judge doesn’t have anything to do with the adjudication happening on the field that all the other judges are doing. He’s an overseer of it all, and that’s all. No need for any kind of conspiracy here when there is none.

Just now, Vidal28 said:

The chief judge doesn’t have anything to do with the adjudication happening on the field that all the other judges are doing. He’s an overseer of it all, and that’s all. No need for any kind of conspiracy here when there is none.

^^^

Lets enjoy all these amazing band performances we are going and getting to witness tonight!! No reason to start an argument over something we can't control, the results will be what they are 

38 minutes ago, BandoRando said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he a former director for Carmel? I do believe that judges should not judge any competition that any affiliations are performing at. Even if they're not aware of it there is still possibility for potential bias. 

3 minutes ago, BandoRando said:

Well, not to add fuel to the fire, but Richard’s son is in Fishers band. 

But I guess we should “give it a rest” and ignore what is arguably the biggest conflict of interest in the marching arts. 

for what it’s worth, WGI has an excellent conflict of interest policy. BOA does not. Why can we do the same? 

....because this isn't the biggest conflict of interest in the marching arts. chief judge does no adjudicating and doesn't affect the score. 

Way to go Bentonville!!! I was in tears by the end of their performance, might honestly be my favorite show of the year! As someone who grew up listening to "Here Comes The Sun", hearing them perform it like they did was a special feeling! Music was ON POINT!!! Guard was so good, great usage of the capes throughout the show, helps add a lot of visual texture, and that percussion was tight, you could hear them all hyped up after their feature. Love that show sooooo much, and another huge congratulations on 3 amazing performances, and for making history in the state of Arkansas, amazing job Bentonville!!