2022 BOA North Texas (Oct. 15)

7 hours ago, Time Warp said:

My band pet peeve is when someone makes a post praising a program and then someone butts in with a “Don’T SlEEp oN” because it doesn’t explicitly mention another program.

Honestly didn't even realize I "quoted" the OP instead of just replying as a new post. That's what I get for posting before I've had my (second) coffee. Sometimes it’s not that deep. 😊 

1 hour ago, yayband914 said:

Honestly didn't even realize I "quoted" the OP instead of just replying as a new post. That's what I get for posting before I've had my (second) coffee. Sometimes it’s not that deep. 😊 

What's even worse than that is predicting a winner before any band has actually done anything. If that isn't bias in a program I don't know what is.

15 hours ago, BandDad4 said:

What's even worse than that is predicting a winner before any band has actually done anything. If that isn't bias in a program I don't know what is.

I was asking about any other medal contenders for my predictions, i need those points baby. Of course anything can happen on the day of event but its fun to try to guess what’s going to happen before hand. I don’t think its “bad” to try to predict these things, its what we do

15 hours ago, BandDad4 said:

Not sure how long you've been involved in this activity. There are a lot of people who actively seek out bands through games, streams, open practices, contests, have deep friends groups who share videos (not publicly), and have groups of people who's opinions they know and trust. Some have done it for many, many years.

Do we know how judges are going to judge an organization in any given contest? No, but we can make rather informed decisions about where an organization is at this point in the season. Most of us aren't hostrauser (horkrank commenter with more national band data than is honestly sane). This is not being biased. Is there some bias involved, yes. The bias is towards observation over a given period of time of the organization and their current abilities matched with those of the school, boosters, feeder system, district support, etc... 

Predictions are great. They help make people more involved in the activity. A lot of people in this forum are boosters, parents, students, and volunteers. They can be biased and proud of the work that their organization is doing. Those of us who are fans of the activity root for this. Setting goals and targets through forum statements is healthy. It can also be fun to watch how those making these statements change their minds as the season rolls along.  

35 minutes ago, Marchingbandperson said:

I was asking about any other medal contenders for my predictions, i need those points baby. Of course anything can happen on the day of event but its fun to try to guess what’s going to happen before hand. I don’t think its “bad” to try to predict these things, its what we do

I somehow missed 3 events last weekend so my ranking tanked 😭. But I will climb back up by perfectly predicting every contest for the rest of the season. 

To me, this competiton is WAY more difficult to predict than BOA Dallas because so many of the bands here are on the same level! If I had to make predictions, here's what I'm thinking...

1-3: Wakeland, Prosper, Westlake

4-5: Southlake Carroll, Waxahchie

6-10: Westwood, Keller Central, Wylie East, Colleyville Heritage, Owasso

Finals Bubble: Forney, Burleson Centennial, Rock Hill, Berkner, Rockwall, Sachse

Looking at the contests this past weekend (Wylie, HEB, Mesquite, etc.,) I think Wakeland could win this one. The most difficult part of placing these schools is how little footage there's been this year in my opinion. Obviously after BOA Dallas, these tiers will change since some of these groups will compete at both.

EDIT: I completely left out Wylie East, so they move into the 6-10 range and push Burleson Centennial into the Finals Bubble. This contest is incredibly stacked...

EDIT 2: I ALSO completely left out Forney. They will join the finals bubble and unfortunately push The Colony out. I love The Colony, but just looking at how INCREDIBLY STACKED this competition is, it's hard to see them push through such a tough grouping.

17 hours ago, peshbandkid said:

To me, this competiton is WAY more difficult to predict than BOA Dallas because so many of the bands here are on the same level! If I had to make predictions, here's what I'm thinking...

1-3: Wakeland, Prosper, Westlake

4-5: Southlake Carroll, Waxahchie

6-10: Westwood, Keller Central, Burleson Centennial, Colleyville Heritage, Owasso

Finals Bubble: Rock Hill, Berkner, Rockwall, Sachse, The Colony

Looking at the contests this past weekend (Wylie, HEB, Mesquite, etc.,) I think Wakeland could win this one. The most difficult part of placing these schools is how little footage there's been this year in my opinion. Obviously after BOA Dallas, these tiers will change since some of these groups will compete at both.

*Looks at BOA Conroe results* I can’t see Wylie East missing finals here. 

7 minutes ago, peshbandkid said:

I didn't even notice that I missed them 🤦‍♂️. Back to editing!

The participant list on the first page hasn’t been updated to include them so it’s understandable that they’d be missed! @LeanderMomma is slackin’! 😜 

Other than that though, your finalist predictions are pretty close to mine, though I do have Choctaw and Azle either in finals or just knocking on the door. 

Point being, this is a pretty stacked show that’s hard to predict! 

I will say, if Wakeland is as park-and-bark and “loud all the time” as some have said on here and on HornRank, they may not do as well here as we think (meaning, most likely still top half, but not a medalist contender). BOA tends to reward variety. Excited to see how they fare this weekend at Dallas I!

3 hours ago, CardinalNation said:

Anyone have any predictions for some of the non-finalist bands? I'm a Melissa parent and was curious where "experts" might think they'll end up against bigger competition. 

Melissa is one of the biggest questions in my opinion.  They are a fantastic band with lots of UIL success but I have no idea what to expect from them in BOA competition.  I'm sure they will be great though!

18 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Melissa is one of the biggest questions in my opinion.  They are a fantastic band with lots of UIL success but I have no idea what to expect from them in BOA competition.  I'm sure they will be great though!

I marched with Melissa from 2015-2018. I think this is Melissa's first contest in BOA. I believe they will win their class, but don't think they will make finals in this due to the competition. I am hoping they make it though! Good luck to ya'll and hope ya'll do well at Regional as well!

4 hours ago, CardinalNation said:

Anyone have any predictions for some of the non-finalist bands? I'm a Melissa parent and was curious where "experts" might think they'll end up against bigger competition. 

On 12/15/2021 at 3:15 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2022 Bands of America North Texas Regional will be held on Saturday, October 15 at Children’s Health Stadium in Prosper, TX. 

OFFICIAL PRELIMS SCHEDULE AS OF 09/14/2022

7:45 - North Garland H.S., TX
8:00 - Richardson H.S., TX
8:15 - Wakeland H.S., TX
8:30 - Mineola H.S., TX
8:45 - Sachse H.S., TX
9:00 - Melissa H.S., TX

BREAK

9:45 - Wylie East H.S., TX
10:00 - Rock Hill H.S., TX
10:15 - Prosper H.S., TX
10:30 - Choctaw H.S., OK
10:45 - Rockwall H.S., TX
11:00 - Berkner H.S., TX
11:15 - J.J. Pearce H.S., TX

BREAK

12:15 - Westlake H.S., TX
12:30 - Keller Central H.S., TX
12:45 - Neosho H.S., MO
1:00 - Burleson Centennial H.S., TX
1:15 - Colleyville Heritage H.S., TX
1:30 - Forney H.S., TX
1:45 - W.E. Boswell H.S., TX

BREAK

2:30 - Grapevine H.S., TX
2:45 - Owasso H.S., OK
3:00 - Azle H.S., TX
3:15 - Southlake Carroll H.S., TX
3:30 - Westwood H.S., TX
3:45 - Waxahachie H.S., TX
4:00 - The Colony H.S., TX

4:15 - EXH: University of Texas at Arlington Maverick Marching Band

here is the schedule. Sorry for ghosting on this one @yayband914!

On 10/5/2022 at 11:36 AM, yayband914 said:

I will say, if Wakeland is as park-and-bark and “loud all the time” as some have said on here and on HornRank, they may not do as well here as we think (meaning, most likely still top half, but not a medalist contender). BOA tends to reward variety. Excited to see how they fare this weekend at Dallas I!

I think they did pretty well at Dallas BOA