BOA Houston 2019

Different set of judges

New part of the show

Are you saying that Westwood didn’t deserve 2nd place in prelims?

Not at all! I think they should have been second in finals as well. I just think comparing scores across competitions is not smart. I was more demonstrating the variety of scores from two different competitions with one group to show that it is in fact incredibly hard to decipher what any group would’ve theoretically done at any competition they did not attend.

Wow!  Tompkins first out of finals, and pretty close to making it in, too!

Going back to the conversation we had about 2 weeks ago regarding the bubble here- it is interesting to think about this:

Austin Regional

Westwood: 10th

Cy Woods: 13th

Houston Regional

Westwood: 3rd

Cy Woods: 16th

I know that there are several factors involved there, but that just shows you how big that bubble really is.

Maybe the jump from Westwood in a week. A 77 last week to an 85 here seems a bit...much?

No. Check what happened last year - Winston Churchill went from a 73.60 to a 80.30, Vandegrift went from a 82.30 to 88.00, Bowie went from 80.05 to 85.45. So sizable jumps in 1 week can and do happen.

BOA Houston (Katy) Prelims, Top 10

1.(88.200)-Ronald Reagan H.S., TX 

2.(84.725)-Westwood H.S., TX 

3.(84.550)-The Woodlands H.S., TX 

4.(83.600)-Westlake H.S., TX 

5.(82.950)-Clear Brook H.S., TX 

6.(82.500)-Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX 

7.(82.150)-Pearland H.S., TX

8.(81.175)-Oak Ridge H.S., TX

9.(80.375)-Brazoswood H.S., TX

10.(80.300)-James E. Taylor H.S., TX

V.s. Finals scores

1.(89.700)-Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

2.(86.800)-The Woodlands H.S., TX

3.(85.025)-Westwood H.S., TX

4.(83.900)-Westlake H.S., TX

5.(82.750)-Clear Brook H.S., TX

6.(82.400)-Pearland H.S., TX

7.(81.250)-Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX

8.(79.400)-Oak Ridge H.S., TX

9.(78.900)-Brazoswood H.S., TX

10.(78.300)-James E. Taylor H.S., TX

To address the issue of scores, I do think the scores here were a bit high. But, I've thought that the scores at many early contests the past few years have been inflated, so it's sort of becoming the new normal. I wouldn't read into them too much. Also, I wouldn't compare them across regionals. Generally, the relative placement positions of the top bands stay roughly the same regardless of how much higher the groups are scored the following weeks. For example, despite the fact that Vandegrift's score shot up last year between Austin and Houston, they were still beaten at San Antonio by all the same groups that beat them early in the season (plus Vista Ridge).

Maybe someone messed up big time in prelims? By that, I mean a judge! Or several.

Or they had a better run in finals? As we know, the prelims results don't lock in the finals results, and bands that maybe didn't give their best performance in prelims knock it out in finals (and vice versa). It is also possible that TWHS used some of the practice time they lost due to rain this week to have a rehearsal after their prelims run.

Or they had a better run in finals? As we know, the prelims results don't lock in the finals results, and bands that maybe didn't give their best performance in prelims knock it out in finals (and vice versa). It is also possible that TWHS used some of the practice time they lost due to rain this week to have a rehearsal after their prelims run.

Our two shows had one thing in common-relatability. We all really enjoyed it and and look forward to seeing it again in San Antonio

yes i agree and pearland is very happy and this is the highest we have ever been this early in history so excited for what’s to come for my band and all the others

Congrats on a great run last night! Super hype show

BOA Houston (Katy) Prelims, Top 10

1.(88.200)-Ronald Reagan H.S., TX 
2.(84.725)-Westwood H.S., TX 
3.(84.550)-The Woodlands H.S., TX 
4.(83.600)-Westlake H.S., TX 
5.(82.950)-Clear Brook H.S., TX 
6.(82.500)-Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX 
7.(82.150)-Pearland H.S., TX
8.(81.175)-Oak Ridge H.S., TX
9.(80.375)-Brazoswood H.S., TX
10.(80.300)-James E. Taylor H.S., TX

V.s. Finals scores

1.(89.700)-Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
2.(86.800)-The Woodlands H.S., TX
3.(85.025)-Westwood H.S., TX
4.(83.900)-Westlake H.S., TX
5.(82.750)-Clear Brook H.S., TX
6.(82.400)-Pearland H.S., TX
7.(81.250)-Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
8.(79.400)-Oak Ridge H.S., TX
9.(78.900)-Brazoswood H.S., TX
10.(78.300)-James E. Taylor H.S., TX

I'll put the positive spin on this - TWHS already started the slog of overtaking Reagan by cutting 0.75 points off their lead between prelims and finals. And this was with Reagan increasing their score by 1.5 points. Still 2.9 points to make up, and a month to do it.

Y’all this contest was so good! So glad to experience my 1st BOA Houston live. Houston bands are amazing and doing amazing things!

Reagan is amazing, y’all! They are giving you everything you could ever want in a marching band. Volume, intensity, technicality. The woodwinds sound warm and full. Bass clarinet feature that had my jaw on the floor. Marching-wise, the velocity and purpose of the performers while playing some incredibly tough music was incredible. Guard features on point and portraying the story so well. Bravo!!

So thrilled for Westwood and Westlake to represent ATX so well.

Clear Brook - what a story! Love when the Sirens take over!!

Pearland - one of the most warm and dark ensemble sounds of the day. Really had some glorious moments in the drill that had me gasping at the difficulty.

Also, earlier in the day- Klein Oak has one of the best train shows I’ve ever seen and Tompkins was surprise of the day for me! Was not expecting that level of character and passion and intensity. I was blown away.

Also I demand a recount on Seven Lakes haha! Seriously, I thought this year’s show was light years ahead of DYEvergent and I loved that one, too. Keep going, y’all!! 3rd in ensemble music means you are very much on the correct path!

Can’t wait for San Antonio and hope that this rollercoaster of the unexpected keeps going!

Surprised that Seven Lakes didn't make it into finals, they were one of my favorites. Their show was incredible and weird in a good way. Pretty weird that they scored so low in the visual aspect as their run seemed pretty good. Hopefully they'll push through and come back even stronger at their next competition.

I can also imagine this was a pretty bad loss for Cy-fair as well considering last year they beat half of the finalists and have been a pretty solid contestant to make finals. I haven't seen their show this year but they were beaten by both Tompkins and Seven Lakes.

I can also imagine this was a pretty bad loss for Cy-fair as well considering last year they beat half of the finalists and have been a pretty solid contestant to make finals. I haven't seen their show this year but they were beaten by both Tompkins and Seven Lakes.

I believe they’re struggling with director changes