BOA Houston 2019

what a departure for the woodlands! really digging this show, honestly. will be interesting to see if they can get back on top of westwood tonight

It is a little polarizing I think. Not what people expect from The Woodlands. I like that they are trying something different.

Thought it was better tonite?

I think a little, yes. They had electronics issues this afternoon that impacted at least the preshow. I think the band was a little better. but the guard was a little worse (I noticed more drops tonight - or maybe that was because I was watching the stream rather than live). There are many things to clean, and they still have to finish the drill on the closer (I doubt that the mark time section is supposed to be that). This show can be one to look out for later in the year.

I managed to catch the last half of Westlake through The Woodlands!

Loving the Pride of Cincinnati props from Westlake. Beautiful stuff.

Okay, now I remember Westwood. The Christmas show. This is a complete package. They sound good, they look good, the drill and music are effective. Is it the most original thing in the world? No. The opener is extremely reminiscent of Bowie's 2011 show, The Promise of Winter. And beyond the Pines of Rome, we've all heard this Christmas music before. But, they do everything well, and this is about as good as Christmas shows get. I'm loving the sled. I thought that was really cute.

This is not your grandparents' Woodlands show. The show is boldly hokey, with the white, old-fashioned sailor uniforms and the cheesy little romantic bits between the guard girls and the sailors. You're not going to find another show quite like it this year. As a **** man, I appreciate all things kitschy, so I welcome this show, but others might not feel the same, including people on the adjudication panels this year. Certainly, I appreciate the risk-taking, both the conceptual risk-taking and the physical and musical demands of the show. To put it simply, it is HARD. There is so much going on at once, and the music is so rhythmically buoyant, so jazzy, that it's easy to see why the performance is not so polished yet. For me, the biggest issue (besides the chronically dirty files) is the frantic brittleness of the music performance. Maybe it's because there's so much back and forth between the full ensemble and the small ensembles that it just doesn't always sound like a full ensemble effort. Visually, I love how the band and the guard move. I think it's extremely well choreographed. The props, as they stand, are extremely sad. They don't add anything right now, besides the big reveal in the beginning. They remind me of Westfield's 2002 prop wall. You just kind of ask yourself, "Do they really even need them?" Maybe with the full props, the visual program will look a bit more complete. Anyway, I do very much like this show, and, despite the issues, I'd have them ahead of Westwood, but they've got a bit of an uphill battle ahead of them if they want to make a splash at San Antonio. The question is, will this season be more like 2016 or 2017? If they're really lucky, it'll be more like 2006.

I remember when The Woodlands completely blindsided everyone at San Antonio in 2016. And they even took GE from Leonardo’s Dream in prelims. I’m very excited to see how this show is in a month.

TWHS used to do that all the time back in the day. They'd get beaten early season by like 5 points, and then somehow beat all the groups that beat them at the end of the season, sometimes by several points. Recently, they haven't done that as much, so I have my doubts that it will happen this year, honestly. But we'll see!

certainly wouldnt have anyone below westlake above 80 imo, but it honestly doesnt really matter. 

Then we will just have to disagree. Clear Brook and Pearland had enough oomph in my view to break 80 - Clear Brook with good GE due to the story they told with solid music, and Pearland a more balanced presentation. I didn't see SFA in finals so can't comment.