2019 5A State

For the uneducated like me :-) can you elaborate on the allowances that BOA gives? I know there are differences. It not sure what they are. Our program is looking to make the jump to BOA next year.

UIL does not allow prerecorded music/effects to play during run time in field, BOA had no restriction. This does not include effects played before the 8 minute timer begins. UIL does not allow area boom mics to mic the entire band making it sound bigger/fuller/whatever else effect you can go for (and there's millions of options), BOA has no restriction. Soloists are still fair game to be mic'd. That's a whole different discussion that I think should be banned but we can discuss that in a different topic.

I'm not even in the loop for that area but that is just heartbreaking for those students..will be interesting to hear how that happened. I really question the logic of an automatic 2 rating. Why not just the penalty? Would they have still received a 1 with just the penalty deducted?

They for sure would have gotten a 1 rating. But those are the rules. For how good the program was, 20 seconds more than the other bands is unfair, so I can see why an automatic 2 would happen. But they do deserve another chance, although highly unlikely.

I'm not even in the loop for that area but that is just heartbreaking for those students..will be interesting to hear how that happened. I really question the logic of an automatic 2 rating. Why not just the penalty? Would they have still received a 1 with just the penalty deducted?

At Region, judges just give a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, without any shadow grading using a 1-100 or 1-1000 system. The only penalty available is to knock a band down a whole rating.

That’s what I’m thinking. I was at the competition and it seemed like there wasn’t any technical issues, or issues getting on the field. Maybe the show is just too long, but I’d imagine the directors would have addressed that.

I watched a Facebook live stream last night and noticed that Roma did not participate in the "Pass and Review" portion of Pigskin, do you happen to know why? 

I watched a Facebook live stream last night and noticed that Roma did not participate in the "Pass and Review" portion of Pigskin, do you happen to know why?

They probably decided it was best to go home early. The directors knew in advance that they didn’t advance and probably didn’t want the kids to hear the word “Roma, division... 2”. I don’t blame them for not wanting to go.

Per what I can find on the region contest rules

(D) Each band will be announced with 45 seconds remaining on the 5-minute clock. The beginning of their announcement will indicate that the performance time will begin in 45 seconds.

(E) The actual timing and adjudication for the show will begin at the end of the five minutes.

I'll have to pay more attention next time to see what actually happens.

Official Predictions in no order: 

Cedar Park 

Dripping Springs 

Wakeland 

Rouse 

Highland Park 

Poteet 

Friendswood 

Forney 

Aledo 

Lone Star 

Groups that could sneak in: Colleyville Heritage, Southwest, The colony

Group that will surprise people: Lopez HS (Top 15 this year) 

Group first time at state/will impress people: Midlothian HS (Top 15 this year) 

Wylie East already beat Lone Star this year

I didn’t notice anything wrong up until I saw the clock at the end. No clue what happened.

It’s interesting because sharyland went over the time by 3 or 4 seconds as well, but they ended up with a 1 rating

This information is incorrect. Sharyland's last chord ended with approximately 5-8s left on the clock. To claim that they went overtime with no proof is spreading false rumors about a band that I'm sure has put many hours into their show. 

Anybody know how it happened? Did they start their run late?

It didn't seem like anything went wrong, but who knows, a lot can be happening behind the scenes that they might not have been able to control. Let's hope that their appeal to UIL to get a second chance is successful, because those kiddos deserve much more than a division 2 at pigskin.

This information is incorrect. Sharyland's last chord ended with approximately 5-8s left on the clock. To claim that they went overtime with no proof is spreading false rumors about a band that I'm sure has put many hours into their show.

I believe I saw them go over time, although I probably misread the clock. Haha, my eyes are not what they used to be back in the day. 100% deserved of a 1 rating. No intent of spreading any false or derogatory information. My apologies.