2019 5A State

Rouse is definitely going to be in the conversation for a medal, as well as Dripping Springs (who I thought should have won in 2017). Not to mention Lebanon Trail and Wakeland. With Cedar Park in the mix, I don't really see any band that is clearly 1st. That doesn't even include Houston-area schools. This sounds like a pretty heated finals competition!

I love Rouse!! They're a really good band and I always enjoy their shows. Hoping they do just as well as they did last season.

I'm Partial to LISD South so going to Pull for Rouse and Cedar Park.  However I agree it's going to be a very competitive year, several in the mix for medals and is going to be lots of fun to watch!

How do you feel about Glenn? I don't know much about them but I've heard them mentioned several times. I know they're not on Cedar Park or Rouse's level but who else are they competing with at Area finals really?

How do you feel about Glenn? I don't know much about them but I've heard them mentioned several times. I know they're not on Cedar Park or Rouse's level but who else are they competing with at Area finals really?

I say they advance but dont make state finals yet. They are still rather small and lack power imo, but will get there soon!

I say they advance but dont make state finals yet. They are still rather small and lack power imo, but will get there soon!

I can see them advancing but state finals is still a reach. They can possibly make it but they have to step up pretty big to beat some of the other established 5A programs. I see them finishing near 17th-20th.

I believe Friendswood is a lock. They would make finals with the showing they had this year. Ik they got 24th at conroe, and that was kinda a red flag, but when I saw them at San Antonio, I was impressed. Kinda a weird show that seemingly had no storyline outside of , but very strong performance levels, as they finished 37th (we all gotta admit sooner or later, that a top 40 performance in 2019 is essentially top 14 performance as recent as 2012). Expect them in the 7th-10th range, but safely in finals. Galena Park on the other hand, will likely be on the outside looking in, made a HUGE leap forward in 2019, with a much larger band and some incredible individual visual performance. Expect a top 20 finish from them. Another band we can expect some good stuff from is Willis. They exploded onto the scene with their wonderful 2017 show, and I can sum this band up in one sentence: Great performance levels, very tame show design. There shows since they made the switch from military to corps style have had a lack of impact and large ensemble moments. They kind of remind me of a 2013-2016 center grove: Very clean, but rely on more subtle musicality rather than loud in your face moments, which may benefit them in UIL. I could see them from hanging out in the low teens range to the mid 20s range. Nevertheless, this is a band you will be hearing from in a few years!

I believe Friendswood is a lock. They would make finals with the showing they had this year. Ik they got 24th at conroe, and that was kinda a red flag, but when I saw them at San Antonio, I was impressed. Kinda a weird show that seemingly had no storyline outside of , but very strong performance levels, as they finished 37th (we all gotta admit sooner or later, that a top 40 performance in 2019 is essentially top 14 performance as recent as 2012). Expect them in the 7th-10th range, but safely in finals. Galena Park on the other hand, will likely be on the outside looking in, made a HUGE leap forward in 2019, with a much larger band and some incredible individual visual performance. Expect a top 20 finish from them. Another band we can expect some good stuff from is Willis. They exploded onto the scene with their wonderful 2017 show, and I can sum this band up in one sentence: Great performance levels, very tame show design. There shows since they made the switch from military to corps style have had a lack of impact and large ensemble moments. They kind of remind me of a 2013-2016 center grove: Very clean, but rely on more subtle musicality rather than loud in your face moments, which may benefit them in UIL. I could see them from hanging out in the low teens range to the mid 20s range. Nevertheless, this is a band you will be hearing from in a few years!

Wanna give us your whole 1-20 predictions? Lmao I'm just playin.

On the note of Glenn: they have an incredible team of directors that opened that school. This being their second year with four grades, I would start to expect really really exciting things to come out of that program as they aren't to grow into their own and ramp up competitively. I mean just a look at their staff should show the big things coming out of GHS soon.

Lebanon Trail's first year with seniors will be next season. Lots of expectations from the students, like having a full size band and doing well at area and whatnot. Needless to say there's a lot riding on their 2019 season, but they have an experienced staff and some great playing ability imo.

Lebanon Trail's first year with seniors will be next season. Lots of expectations from the students, like having a full size band and doing well at area and whatnot. Needless to say there's a lot riding on their 2019 season, but they have an experienced staff and some great playing ability imo.

I cannot see them missing out on state, let alone state finals. Adding seniors to what they had this year will end very very well.

I cannot see them missing out on state, let alone state finals. Adding seniors to what they had this year will end very very well.