2019 BOA San Antonio

After watching Flower Mound and Hebron's UIL performances, I really think this is Reagan's contest to lose. (I kind of thought that last year, too, though, and look what happened.) I actually caught myself preferring Hebron's show over Flower Mound's at first, but once I got to the end of Flower Mound's show, I conceded that Flower Mound's was more effective and was cleaner visually. FM isn't taking on a visual program as difficult as some of their competitors, but it's very clean and very elegant, as usual. Hebron is sounding a lot better, which is great. I was a little disappointed at how little movement there is in the opener when all that super-impressive technical playing happens. The music is so kinetic there, but the visual is static. It sort of reminds me of how they parked and played during their ballad last year. I think the visual could be spruced up a little. Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching the closer for the first time at SA.

I feel like Hebron could be more of a challenge for Vandegrift in the top 3 than I previously thought. CTJ remains a giant wild card. I don't know what will happen with them. I'm expecting really significant improvements. TWHS and Leander are the two that I'm not totally convinced will push into the top 3 this year. TWHS has probably my favorite content of any Texas show this year, but after watching a recent video, I'm not sure it will be polished enough, or have enough "moments" to put it over the edge. Leander's great, but the show is a little too reminiscent of the Churchill's '03 production for me. I doubt many other observers will have a similar complaint, but still. That said, I'd be surprised if either group gets booted out of the top half this year. I know Vista Ridge made a splash last year, and they're great this year, but the show is significantly weaker, both in terms of content and performance. And all the other threats, like LD Bell, Keller, James Bowie, etc. -- they all have fine shows, but I don't think fine will be enough to crack the top half here. We'll see. Only a couple more weeks to go!

I was able to record The Woodlands today. They were fantastic! I loved every piece of their show. If anyone wants a link to their video, send me a PM! I had Marcus on my channel from this past weekend’s Regional but I had make it private because the Marcus band reached out to me about copyrights. Flower Mound and Hebron are on unlisted.

After watching Flower Mound and Hebron's UIL performances, I really think this is Reagan's contest to lose. (I kind of thought that last year, too, though, and look what happened.) I actually caught myself preferring Hebron's show over Flower Mound's at first, but once I got to the end of Flower Mound's show, I conceded that Flower Mound's was more effective and was cleaner visually. FM isn't taking on a visual program as difficult as some of their competitors, but it's very clean and very elegant, as usual. Hebron is sounding a lot better, which is great. I was a little disappointed at how little movement there is in the opener when all that super-impressive technical playing happens. The music is so kinetic there, but the visual is static. It sort of reminds me of how they parked and played during their ballad last year. I think the visual could be spruced up a little. Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching the closer for the first time at SA.

I feel like Hebron could be more of a challenge for Vandegrift in the top 3 than I previously thought. CTJ remains a giant wild card. I don't know what will happen with them. I'm expecting really significant improvements. TWHS and Leander are the two that I'm not totally convinced will push into the top 3 this year. TWHS has probably my favorite content of any Texas show this year, but after watching a recent video, I'm not sure it will be polished enough, or have enough "moments" to put it over the edge. Leander's great, but the show is a little too reminiscent of the Churchill's '03 production for me. I doubt many other observers will have a similar complaint, but still. That said, I'd be surprised if either group gets booted out of the top half this year. I know Vista Ridge made a splash last year, and they're great this year, but the show is significantly weaker, both in terms of content and performance. And all the other threats, like LD Bell, Keller, James Bowie, etc. -- they all have fine shows, but I don't think fine will be enough to crack the top half here. We'll see. Only a couple more weeks to go!

Rubisco, I just have to ask about Hebron’s visuals, because I agree that they seem to be moving less while playing this year, but when the woodwinds are doing their insane technical runs they were moving a lot more (and rhythmically more interestingly) than Flower Mound was during their’s from my viewpoint, so I’m wondering what about it made it seem static? Just the lack of actual marching or the visuals themselves?

Also again, thank you Rubisco for your continued wonderful insight this year!

Rubisco, I just have to ask about Hebron’s visuals, because I agree that they seem to be moving less while playing this year, but when the woodwinds are doing their insane technical runs they were moving a lot more (and rhythmically more interestingly) than Flower Mound was during their’s from my viewpoint, so I’m wondering what about it made it seem static? Just the lack of actual marching or the visuals themselves?

Also again, thank you Rubisco for your continued wonderful insight this year!

I think it was towards the end of the opener. The brass was on side two, the woodwinds were on side one. I think both sides did a lot of really impressive musical technique while standing still. I only watched the video once, so I might be recalling it wrong. Maybe they were actually moving and I just didn't notice! :lol: And yes, I would agree that, generally, Hebron's show is more difficult than Flower Mound's.

Something that always impresses me with Hebron's shows is the clarity of the music. I can tell exactly what's going on in the music at all times, or just about at all times. The sound they produce is just so crisp and clear and sonorous, even when they're playing the most difficult musical phrases, phrases that would be played sloppily by just about any other group.

I REALLY wish Reagan was taking this show to Nats this year, they are out of this world. Vamdergrift is looking really strong as well, I think they might have a shot to take it over Reagan or FloMo. I can see Hebron having a very similar year to 2015 where they place around 4th-5th at San Antonio but make a huge push at Nationals, and honestly I would say the same about CTJ. Any of those bands could medal but it does seem like the regional champions have the best shot right now. Reagan and FloMo especially are going to be really hard to beat though as far as first place goes.

I think it was towards the end of the opener. The brass was on side two, the woodwinds were on side one. I think both sides did a lot of really impressive musical technique while standing still. I only watched the video once, so I might be recalling it wrong. Maybe they were actually moving and I just didn't notice! :lol: And yes, I would agree that, generally, Hebron's show is more difficult than Flower Mound's.

Oh :P silly me I was thinking of a different part. I know exactly what you’re talking about!! XD maybe they’re saving choreography for Nats? Who knows.

I REALLY wish Reagan was taking this show to Nats this year, they are out of this world. Vamdergrift is looking really strong as well, I think they might have a shot to take it over Reagan or FloMo. I can see Hebron having a very similar year to 2015 where they place around 4th-5th at San Antonio but make a huge push at Nationals, and honestly I would say the same about CTJ. Any of those bands could medal but it does seem like the regional champions have the best shot right now. Reagan and FloMo especially are going to be really hard to beat though as far as first place goes.

Agreed agreed agreed.

Good morning everyone! I was looking at the schedule for BOA next Saturday and read that a "Class Exhibition (If Needed)" is scheduled for 7:15 pm. I don't know much about BOA and was wondering if anyone could explain to me what that means especially the "if needed" part.

Good morning everyone! I was looking at the schedule for BOA next Saturday and read that a "Class Exhibition (If Needed)" is scheduled for 7:15 pm. I don't know much about BOA and was wondering if anyone could explain to me what that means especially the "if needed" part.

If a band wins their class but does not advance to the finals portion of the contest they will perform in exhibition, if the band Wins their class and Does advance to finals there will be no exhibition. The "If needed" portion applies to the first part of my comment. If needed means that if we need to have a band in exhibition there will be. If the band makes finals they won't need to have an exhibition.

Every class champion is given an exhibition performance; however not if they advance to finals.

This got me curious as to how often that exhibition has been not "needed"...IE, how often has an A or AA band made it into SA finals.

If my research is correct, for this super regional - just once, Aledo in 2010. Vandy got close a couple times (even as a Class A band!) during their meteoric rise to where they are now, but didn't break through until they were Class AAA. Air Academy got VERY close in 2011 (I remember really wanting them to sneak into finals). 

Marion Catholic is obviously the best known "small class" band nationally, but even they have struggled to keep up with the big groups as of late. 

Judging off the recently released new HornRank rankings, the following bands will be at San Antonio:

#1 Ronald Reagan

#3 Flower Mound

#6 Vandegrift

#7 Hebron

#8 Leander

#10 Claudia Taylor Johnson

#11 Vista Ridge

#13 Marcus

#15 The Woodlands

#17 LD Bell

#18 Cedar Ridge

#21 James Bowie

#22 Westwood

#23 Keller

#25 Coppell

#29 Rouse

#31 Westlake

Next 10 Cedar Park

Next 10 Lake Travis

Next 10 Wakeland

This massive list does not even include other previous finalists like Round Rock, Hendrickson, etc. What a bloodbath!