Leander ISD Festival of Bands

Yeah, I remember a giant flood of Hendrickson parents leaving after they performed at BOA Austin. They were energetic and pumped up for Hendrickson, but just didn't care after that.

It’s a little different at BOA than what I’m referring to. There’s a gap at BOA between each band where people can come and go, and then everyone sits (mostly) quietly and respectfully during the actual performances. At LISD Festival of Bands, there was no gap between performances because the middle schools performed from the track between each HS marching show. While a high school was setting up, a middle school played a few songs that they had prepared especially for this exhibition. The problem was that you could barely hear a single note these kids were playing because so many spectators were leaving the stands. I always felt embarrassed for those poor kids and their families, and upset with the lack of common courtesy. Especially towards the end, when the stands were practically empty.

I guess this is a touchy subject so I should probably leave it alone for now. I’m sorry if I offended anyone but I won’t apologize for feeling so strongly that these kids deserve our respect and admiration, no matter what band they represent.

My solution:

Have all the bands out on the field and make them perform their shows at the exact same time. Last band standing wins!!!! THUNDERDOOOOOOMEEEEE!!!!!

I've been saying we need to have a band sight reading contest, divide the field in half and give the two bands symmetrical drill and music give them two days to learn it and whoever is better is the ULTIMATE BAND.

#Dog885

As a Hendrickson parent who was there along with many others from when the gates opened until they closed:

To keep our band cool during last year's Austin competition the directors decided to return to our band hall and watch the live stream until the evening. We have a great deal of volunteer involvement from our boosters. These volunteers are required to be with the band. Specialy last year with as many props as we had. Also, as a courtesy to the fans of the bands that compete after us, many of us tend to vacate choice seats to allow their fans and parents optimal viewing. (I generally park it as close to the 50 and as high up as I can go, then camp there until breaking of ranks. Usually next to the TxBands staff. But I'm selfish in that way.

From what I can tell neisd doesn’t really have this problem. Everyone is supportive of band AND football here. When a player is injured, the stadium is SILENT (unlike one Austin school we played this year and from what I hear many others in Austin). People stay for the whole game, and don’t leave the stands during halftime. The crowd is generally respectful to the band when they are performing, but the noise that is there is understandable with somewhere around 10000 people in the stands. It’s just an all around great environment that makes me proud to be a part of NEISD.

I see NEISD parents stay for the game and after the game if the band is doing their full show - and it does not appear to just be the band parents that stay - i have seen the football team line on the right goal line to watch the post game show 

it makes a huge difference in how the programs are viewed

#Dog885

As a Hendrickson parent who was there along with many others from when the gates opened until they closed:

To keep our band cool during last year's Austin competition the directors decided to return to our band hall and watch the live stream until the evening. We have a great deal of volunteer involvement from our boosters. These volunteers are required to be with the band. Specialy last year with as many props as we had. Also, as a courtesy to the fans of the bands that compete after us, many of us tend to vacate choice seats to allow their fans and parents optimal viewing. (I generally park it as close to the 50 and as high up as I can go, then camp there until breaking of ranks. Usually next to the TxBands staff. But I'm selfish in that way.

Thank you so much for that much needed clarification

From what I can tell neisd doesn’t really have this problem. Everyone is supportive of band AND football here. When a player is injured, the stadium is SILENT (unlike one Austin school we played this year and from what I hear many others in Austin). People stay for the whole game, and don’t leave the stands during halftime. The crowd is generally respectful to the band when they are performing, but the noise that is there is understandable with somewhere around 10000 people in the stands. It’s just an all around great environment that makes me proud to be a part of NEISD.

Sometimes it is truly embarrassing at games, both for my student section and others.

I also like the new format this year. Supposedly there will be a big finale at the end which will include all of the high school and middle school bands. Maybe that will help cut down on the mass exodus of the C**** P*** band parents during the middle of the exhibition.

Yes, if I'm not mistaken, I believe all of the bands are doing a full retreat and playing Land of a 1000 dances. It will be interesting to hear how they all perform spread out over 100 yards!

They did the coolest finale tonight at the LISD FOB. The bands all entered the backfield in a full retreat and then they placed all of the middle schoolers between the high schools on the field. And then the entire mass of bands all played Land of 1000 Dances together. Imagine if you will, Glen, Cedar Park, Leander, Vista Ridge. Rouse and Vandegrift along with all those middle schools playing the song together. It was awesome. :)

Edit: There’s a video up on daTube of the finale.