Leander ISD Festival of Bands

It is  shame they did not invite the Longhorn Band to perform this year. With so many alumni of UT in the area, if the Band played at the end of the Show, most of them would be duty bound to stay for the playing of THE EYES OF TEXAS. That would be one way to keep many from leaving. 

Good point Mr. Gorman!  That would definitely work.  Sadly enough, Leander has invited the UT Longhorn Band to come and perform several times over the past decade, and even had a few commitments from them, but they don't show up.  I'm not sure why.  

But seriously, regardless of which band it is (because I am 100% sure we are ALL guilty of this to some extent), please be courteous if you attend one of the Festival of Bands and stay for the entire performance!  No offense to any of the other LISD band families at all.  My gripe isn't only that it's rude to stomp (LOUDLY) out of the stadium once your child's band has performed, but that it is also so very disrespectful to the poor little middle school bands performing between each HS band that is desperately trying to be heard over the massive exodus from the bleachers.  I get it if you are a parent who must assist your child's band with their exit from the field, of if you have to get those younger munchkins home and in bed, but just be sure and sit somewhere near the exits so that you can make a graceful and quiet escape rather than sounding like a herd of wild buffalo on the run.  It's the same reason I stay for most, if not all, of the football games.  I feel horrible when I see the huge exit of band parents from the bleachers the moment the half time show is over.  Just stay and support those kids unless you have a very good reason not to.  And believe me, with how pitiful our football team is, it can be hard to stay!  But it won't kill you.  

Okay...rant over.  Like I said....these gray skies are putting me in a major funk!!

But seriously, regardless of which band it is (because I am 100% sure we are ALL guilty of this to some extent), please be courteous if you attend one of the Festival of Bands and stay for the entire performance! No offense to any of the other LISD band families at all. My gripe isn't only that it's rude to stomp (LOUDLY) out of the stadium once your child's band has performed, but that it is also so very disrespectful to the poor little middle school bands performing between each HS band that is desperately trying to be heard over the massive exodus from the bleachers. I get it if you are a parent who must assist your child's band with their exit from the field, of if you have to get those younger munchkins home and in bed, but just be sure and sit somewhere near the exits so that you can make a graceful and quiet escape rather than sounding like a herd of wild buffalo on the run. It's the same reason I stay for most, if not all, of the football games. I feel horrible when I see the huge exit of band parents from the bleachers the moment the half time show is over. Just stay and support those kids unless you have a very good reason not to. And believe me, with how pitiful our football team is, it can be hard to stay! But it won't kill you.

Okay...rant over. Like I said....these gray skies are putting me in a major funk!!

All fair points. Except the football point. Many Football parents do not care to stay and watch the bands perform at HT or even when they perform after the game. They do not ask their kids sitting with them to show respect to the bands while they play. They talk loudly over the band performing and some even stand up in front of you in the middle of a performance. I’ve been to many away games and sat in the home section to watch the bands perform and it is the same, no matter the school. I’ve even heard a couple of parents/kids make fun of props. So I feel absolutely no compunction to stay and watch them play football. I admit that I attend football for band and I leave when the band is done.

All fair points. Except the football point. Many Football parents do not care to stay and watch the bands perform at HT or even when they perform after the game. They do not ask their kids sitting with them to show respect to the bands while they play. They talk loudly over the band performing and some even stand up in front of you in the middle of a performance. I’ve been to many away games and sat in the home section to watch the bands perform and it is the same, no matter the school. I’ve even heard a couple of parents/kids make fun of props. So I feel absolutely no compunction to stay and watch them play football. I admit that I attend football for band and I leave when the band is done.

I guess it's partly because our poor football team is so....ummmmm....hmmmmmm.  Well you know.  Anyway, I just feel bad for those kids to look up into the stands after half time and see an empty stadium.  Their spirits must already be so low!  But if you have an amazing football team as well as an amazing band, I guess you might feel differently.  Or, like you said, your band has been treated unkindly by their fellow schoolmates.  I see where that might make me feel less than supportive of the football team!

Leander HS kids are all around very supportive of the band.  I know there are some real jerks at Leander HS, same as any other school, who degrade and demean the band members, but for the most part we have a lot of support from the school.  They are proud of their band and it shows.  

Funny you mention that. I've always noticed more of the Va******** crew bailing after their performance. Always pisces me off.

Yeah, I remember a giant flood of Hendrickson parents leaving after they performed at BOA Austin. They were energetic and pumped up for Hendrickson, but just didn't care after that.

I'm just noting how they only supported them. It just felt a bit discouraging that so many people left right before we played, also I think people are saying similar things above.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I never cared much about the size of the audience when I performed. Knowing my mom was watching me and that I was performing with my friends was all I needed. Besides I'd rather have 10 people watching who would actually want to watch than 100 people who were being forced out of courtesy to watch.

At the KISD marching expo, all of the middle schools and high schools go on the field and play Paint it Black together. From my experience, I never see large amounts of people leaving after their school performs so hopefully this is also a solution for you guys!

Yes I really believe it will be! And the middle schoolers will really feel like more of a part of it all!

I'm just noting how they only supported them. It just felt a bit discouraging that so many people left right before we played, also I think people are saying similar things above.

You guys are making my point for me. It’s hurtful and disrespectful to the band kids when big groups of spectators leave before everyone has performed. Especially if you are in one of the last bands to go on and the stands are half empty.

I apologize for singling out CP and Vandy parents in my earlier comment. It most certainly applies to parents in every school.