Leander ISD Festival of Bands

How was Glenn looking?

Much bigger band this year. And Beautiful guard dresses. But overall I had much higher expectations for Glenn this fall considering their directors originally came from Bowie. And Weiss, who is even younger than Glenn, is much more advanced in their playing and marching. I’m not exactly sure what’s holding Glenn back, but they have a long way to go to catch up. I’m rooting for them, though.

This is probably the best LISD Festival of Bands I’ve ever been to. Format and venue change really made a difference! Great for the middle schoolers to to be able to watch all the HS performances instead of having to play in between. Even added the nice touch of interviewing the band members and showing it on the Jumbotron after the performances like they do at state.

For whatever reason, I also think the crowd was much more engaged and into it than in years past with pretty big standing O’s after each band.

I just kind of wish that we’d find a different day to do this instead of the Monday after BOA ATX. Band members are probably still sleepy and no one has had any time to really practice, implement any comments from BOA judges, or add any length to what we saw on Saturday. But then again, I am not the scheduler so I’m sure there’s maybe a good reason to have it now.

It was great to see all the shows for a 3rd time in the span of a couple of days to continue to develop impressions.

-Rouse has really made huge improvements just over last year in their power and ensemble sound. If they can clean, clean, clean the visual, they will be on track for some never before seen heights later this season.

-Rooting for Glenn, as well!

-Vista Ridge reinforced what I saw on Saturday. The show is fantastic and such a level up for them. I watched their marching closely and really see why they picked up the visual caption on Saturday. Individual fundamentals are incredibly strong and each performer just appears to be moving with an intensity and purpose that is coming across all the way up to the top row of the stands.

-Cedar Park’s show is even harder than I realized on Saturday. There’s lots of playing with tempo (accelerandos and such) that are quite difficult that just need some time to refine. I also appreciate that there is a lot of complicated stuff that the woodwinds are playing must of the time on the move and doing it very very well! Also, very much like how the performance top is such a good blend of their usual uniform and the circus-y theme.

-I can’t wait to see the finished product from Leander! They were just starting to get the groovy Marquez Danzon cranked up before they stopped. Again, I’m so thrilled with how much demand on the move they are doing!

-Vandegrift is my favorite at this point. VOLUME! Those gorgeous, full, rich chords are amazing! The drill is fairly clean already and I enjoy how many times they are spread from end zone to end zone and keeping it all together beautifully. Such a gorgeous moment during the ballad with the dance team and the plethora of rich purple flags! They likely will be in the mix for the gold medal at UIL state, I think.

I really do think it is a possibility that we could see Leander, Vandy, and Vista all in the top half of state finals and/or BOA SA.

Again, can’t wait to see the finished product from everyone in the weeks to come - I think there are some difficult and exciting closers in store!

Much bigger band this year. And Beautiful guard dresses. But overall I had much higher expectations for Glenn this fall considering their directors originally came from Bowie. And Weiss, who is even younger than Glenn, is much more advanced in their playing and marching. I’m not exactly sure what’s holding Glenn back, but they have a long way to go to catch up. I’m rooting for them, though.

From what I have heard they had very little practice in the last couple of days and they got drill really late so they are rushing to try and put in on the field. But I agree that they are much bigger and look better than last year.

From what I have heard they had very little practice in the last couple of days and they got drill really late so they are rushing to try and put in on the field. But I agree that they are much bigger and look better than last year.

Absolutely.  And I loved how they looked on the field.  I'm pulling for them to make huge strides in the next year or two.  I know the potential is there!!!!