BOA Austin 2018

After seeing the majority of these bands I think Leander is in front. I still like Vandy to medal. The first 2-3 minutes of Vandy’s early show is great musically and visually but after that I loose interest.. not to say my opinion may change with the progression of the show,but for now it looks like too many people standing still - of course sounding awesome

I agree in full. Vandegrift's show design is perfect for UIL but lacks visual dynamism which seemingly would hurt them in BOA. Then again, I said the same thing last year and the judges didn't agree with me at all. 

I think Leander has the edge in all the visual captions and probably by a decent amount, they're about even on Music GE, and Vandegrift has the edge on Music Performance.

Editing to add: I think LISD-South could pull off their first BOA medal sweep this weekend. And maybe even get four groups in the top half.

I agree in full. Vandegrift's show design is perfect for UIL but lacks visual dynamism which seemingly would hurt them in BOA. Then again, I said the same thing last year and the judges didn't agree with me at all.

I think Leander has the edge in all the visual captions and probably by a decent amount, they're about even on Music GE, and Vandegrift has the edge on Music Performance.

Editing to add: I think LISD-South could pull off their first BOA medal sweep this weekend. And maybe even get four groups in the top half.

I agree. What does your SA finals list look like? Could have 6-7 Austin bands.. SA 2018 looks to eclipse the epic 2017 Super Regional!

The weather forecast is looking a bit better. According to KXAN, high of 85 (not perfect, but ok), 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms during the day, evening rain chances are way less. Precipitation forecast is not much accumulation, so any rain should be brief and not too intense.

The Anti-Rain Dance is working!

Anyone know of any class changes to watch out for? I know vandy and Vista being 4A in 16 threw some of us for a loop.

By my count, none. BOA just raised the limit between classes AAA and AAAA to I believe 1750. For a four year school, that’s 2333 students. That was enough to keep Leander safely in its class while barely being enough to keep Vista Ridge and Vandegrift out.

But considering that younger grades generally have more students than older grades, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Vista Ridge in AAA this year.

https://youtu.be/gAIQDETmeqQ

Vista’s show from last Friday, pretty impressed with them at this point, part 3 understandably dirty at some point for only having it that week. Excited to see where the place!

Nice!! And such a lovely ballad.

I see Vista had the same lightning show in the background that Leander had last Friday night.

I saw them at the first football game of the season, but it was still very early on. They are definitely bigger and the dance team has probably doubled in size. They sounded great that night, so I'm sure they will do well this weekend.

Do you think they have a shot at making finals?

Do you think they have a shot at making finals?

Let's see...taking a hard look at the competition...realistically Weiss would have to beat out at least 4 of the following bands for one of those spots.  

1.  Vista Ridge H.S., TX

2.  Cedar Park H.S., TX

3.  Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

4.  James Bowie H.S., TX

5.  Rouse H.S., TX

6.  Leander H.S., TX

7.  Hendrickson H.S., TX

8.  Vandegrift H.S., TX

9.  Winston Churchill H.S., TX

10. Round Rock H.S., TX

11. Lake Travis H.S., TX

12. Westwood H.S., TX

13. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

They MIGHT be able to beat out Rouse, Churchill, Lake Travis or Westwood but probably not all 4 in the same day.  

But ask me again next year when they have another year under their belts and a FULL band on the field, and the answer might be dramatically different!

Let's see...taking a hard look at the competition...realistically Weiss would have to beat out at least 4 of the following bands for one of those spots.

1. Vista Ridge H.S., TX

2. Cedar Park H.S., TX

3. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

4. James Bowie H.S., TX

5. Rouse H.S., TX

6. Leander H.S., TX

7. Hendrickson H.S., TX

8. Vandegrift H.S., TX

9. Winston Churchill H.S., TX

10. Round Rock H.S., TX

11. Lake Travis H.S., TX

12. Westwood H.S., TX

13. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

They MIGHT be able to beat out Rouse, Churchill, Lake Travis or Westwood but probably not all 4 in the same day.

But ask me again next year when they have another year under their belts and a FULL band on the field, and the answer might be dramatically different!