BOA Austin 2018

Unpopular opinion, but I think Leander is in the best position to win this regional. I personally don’t think any other band I’ve seen so far is coming close visually in terms of performance and effect. Combined with a strong and already sparkly music book that should keep them closer than they have been historically in performance and high in effect, it seems the formula is there.

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion at all!  In fact, I LOVE IT!   :lol:

Seriously though, I'm obviously biased, but I agree with you.  I think Leander has something special this year.  

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion at all!  In fact, I LOVE IT!   :lol:

Seriously though, I'm obviously biased, but I agree with you.  I think Leander has something special this year.  

We're all biased! But, I was raised to ask myself the question "If it wasn't your band, what would you think?". I try hard to base my opinions on that, but my bias is always there a little bit. I find this helpful when judging a band I just don't care for. It's the only way I can make a valid assessment. There are a couple of the top bands I just don't like and one in particular that just fields shows that will score well. Easy drill, not much marching, and rarely march and play at the same time. But, when I remove my bias from the equation, I can judge them on how well they do what they do and can understand why that works so well for them and why they place where they do.

We're all biased! But, I was raised to ask myself the question "If it wasn't your band, what would you think?". I try hard to base my opinions on that, but my bias is always there a little bit. I find this helpful when judging a band I just don't care for. It's the only way I can make a valid assessment. There are a couple of the top bands I just don't like and one in particular that just fields shows that will score well. Easy drill, not much marching, and rarely march and play at the same time. But, when I remove my bias from the equation, I can judge them on how well they do what they do and can understand why that works so well for them and why they place where they do.

I try to do the same, though not perfectly.  It is easier to have less bias now that my child has been out of the program a couple of seasons.  I have more appreciation overall for all of the bands now, but obviously I'm always going to root for Leander.  I imagine all of us feel that way about our band program, even if we are removed from it now.  I also have more appreciation for the other bands because I meet the parents in the stands.  And their enthusiasm for whatever their kid is doing on the field at that moment is infectious.  I find myself rooting for all of the bands now, large or small.  And appreciating each of their successes more.  Sometimes I do get aggravated when I feel a band was not rewarded properly, or when I feel like one was given a medal that I feel they didn't deserve.  But that's human and I'm not a judge.  I'm just a HardCoreBandMom.   ;)

...and my heart will always be with Leander.  

1) Vandegrift

2) Cedar Park

3) CTJ

4) Leander

5) Round Rock

6) Churchill

7) Bowie

8) Hendrickson

9) Westwood

10) Vista Ridge/Westwood/maybe even Pflugerville if they have a season like they did in 10/11/12/13

I would agree with your top four but think Leander and CTJ could swap..but CTJ show is a bit more interesting so I would put it ahead of Leander.

5. Cedar Ridge

6. Round Rock

7. Bowie

Whether I think CTJ would finish 5th or not if I was to make a prediction (which I'm not), the 4 programs listed ahead in that prediction are certainly capable of causing that order of finish, so I can see the thought behind it. Would it be a surprise? Yes. Shocking? No. It Is Texas after all (and early season to boot).

1. Leander 

2. Vandegrift 

3. CTJ

4. Cedar Park

5. Cedar Ridge

6. Round Rock

7. Bowie 

8. Hendrickson

9. Westwood

10. Churchill

----

11. Vista Ridge

12. New Braunfels

+/- about 3 places for each are possible the way I see it. 

Kinda just from what's been said and what I saw last year/ gut feeling. 

1. Vandegrift

2. Leander

3. CTJ

(Honestly, these three could be in any order and I wouldn't be surprised haha)

4. Cedar Park

5. Round Rock

6. Cedar Ridge

7. Hendrickson

8. Bowie

9. Churchill

10. Westwood/Vista Ridge

I could be totally and completely wrong but it's fun to try and predict! The crazy thing about marching band is how unpredictable some of these first contests can be. I mean heck, Cedar Ridge went from not making finals at State and San Antonio in 2016 to beating some of the bands that had made it the year before, and Hendrickson got 7th last year but ended up jumping up like crazy in San Antonio finals! It's all just so fun to see.

1. Vandegrift

2. Leander

3. CTJ

(Honestly, these three could be in any order and I wouldn't be surprised haha)

4. Cedar Park

5. Round Rock

6. Cedar Ridge

7. Hendrickson

8. Bowie

9. Churchill

10. Westwood/Vista Ridge

I could be totally and completely wrong but it's fun to try and predict! The crazy thing about marching band is how unpredictable some of these first contests can be. I mean heck, Cedar Ridge went from not making finals at State and San Antonio in 2016 to beating some of the bands that had made it the year before, and Hendrickson got 7th last year but ended up jumping up like crazy in San Antonio finals! It's all just so fun to see.

1. CTJ

2. Vandy

3. Leander

4. Round Rock

5. Cedar Park

6. Hendrickson

7. Cedar Ridge

8. Bowie

9. Vista Ridge

10. Churchill

just my thoughts - the top 2-3 could be very fluid, and it will be a joy to see how it plays out

I'm still holding onto my bet that Vandy will have a similar season to CTJ 2017. They will effectively go undefeated, except I think they have the ability to pull it off in UIL too. CTJ could peak late season with how difficult their show is, but they'll have a lot of cleaning to do which I think will give them a slow (but still very VERY impressive) start of the season. Leander and Round Rock will have a strong start as always, Bowie will surprise people, and Hendrickson will keep climbing the ranks. I heard Cedar Park had a rough start, but I'm sure they've fully recovered (I'm avoiding pre-season videos) with only minor setbacks. Cedar Ridge will be strong like always and will keep their finals spot easily. Vista Ridge are gonna also be very strong, but I think they'll have a slow start.

The 10th spot is a tossup between Westwood and Churchill. Both bands are out for blood this season and will both be fighting their hardest for the last spot. Westwood has been in the bubble for the past few years and I can't tell you how many times it was mentioned by the directors and students when I was working with them, they want this and they want it bad. They also have the show for it and assuming they've kept up the hard work since I had to leave for college, there's no counting them out. Churchill is always very strong however, and they've had seasons where they perform lower than their standards and then come back the next year on fire, so their last season's results should be taken with a grain of salt when making early-season predictions for this year. I'm giving the edge to Westwood admittedly largely out of bias, but at the same time I see them making this their year, as well as their lucky performance time (4th to last). Expect a spectacular performance from both Westwood and Churchill and let it be a testament to the depth of this competition's competitiveness. Any of these 11 bands would be serious contenders, if not locks, for medals at most other non-Texas regionals.

All that being said, here are my predictions

1) Vandegrift (Music, Visual)

2) C.T. Johnson (GE)

3) Leander

4) Round Rock

5) James Bowie

6) Hendrickson

7) Cedar Park

8) Cedar Ridge

9) Vista Ridge

10) Westwood

-------------------

11) Churchill

Other bands I'm excited to see:

New Braunfels

Rouse

Belton

Pflugerville

Weiss

1. Leander 

2. Vandegrift 

3. CTJ

4. Cedar Park

5. Cedar Ridge

6. Round Rock

7. Bowie 

8. Hendrickson

9. Westwood

10. Churchill

----

11. Vista Ridge

12. New Braunfels

+/- about 3 places for each are possible the way I see it. 

Kinda just from what's been said and what I saw last year/ gut feeling. 

I don't want to roast any RR members, but I think people overlook how badly CR beat them last year at San Antonio. Not saying you did (In fact I love your predictions!), just speaking in general.

I think the general consensus is that RR has consistently been a great band, but they haven't really improved in the ways the bands around them have. It's been a VERY high level of consistent success, and that's something to be very proud of, but they haven't really grown in the last few years while others around them have. I think if they want to truly stay competitive in places like the SA's and GN's they need to change their approach, and the new staff they have might be just the thing they needed. Hope the best for that program  ;).  

I think the general consensus is that RR has consistently been a great band, but they haven't really improved in the ways the bands around them have. It's been a VERY high level of consistent success, and that's something to be very proud of, but they haven't really grown in the last few years while others around them have. I think if they want to truly stay competitive in places like the SA's and GN's they need to change their approach, and the new staff they have might be just the thing they needed. Hope the best for that program  ;).  

I wonder how you know so much about the inner workings of the Round Rock band haha.