2018 BOA San Antonio?

Even with the panel differences, I'm surprised to see The Woodlands outside of the top 7. I would have guessed that the performance qualities alone would have put them in, but if the judges are cold to the show, they're cold to it.

Admittedly I’m biased- but have the same surprise. I’m curious to see the scoring when it comes out- but it is what it is.. doesn’t matter where we end up tonight- we feel like the kids have done an amazing job this year and are proud of them.

Looking at the finalists and what panel of judges they were in (I included the A and AA class champions):

Exhibition Class A: Robinson - 1
Marcus 2
L.D. Bell 1
Westlake 1
Keller 1
Robert E. Hendrickson 1
Cedar Ridge 1
The Woodlands 2

Claudia Taylor Johnson 2
Leander 1 (Class AAA champion)
Hebron 1
Vista Ridge 2
Vandegrift 2
Ronald Reagan 1 (Class AAAA champion)
Flower Mound 2
Exhibition Class AA: Rouse 1

I can honestly say that I am not surprised this contest is extremely competitive, the final 14 just proved to be insanely impressive. 

Some notes: 

Marcus: Seeing a finals without them would be weird, it will be along time before that happens.

L.D. Bell: Wow great to see them back in finals, similar to Marcus but they are on their way back!

Westlake: Real Big Surprise! but I said it earlier, they deserved that third-place finish at area, good for them!

Keller: They have become a regular, loved their 2016 show "Ascend", we will see where they land tonight. 

Hendrickson: Like I said very well rounded group and peak late in the season which always helps them land in finals.

Cedar Ridge: Music is insane on this group, I know they are not a fan favorite but they play to the judges, which is why they make it. 

The Woodlands: in my opinion one of the best shows in finals both beautiful and exciting! 

CTJ: wow they can move while sounding like they are sitting! Their show has tons of GE, which always helps at this contest. 

Leander: They have made it back where they belong, last place in finals did not suit them well. Great work! 

Hebron: UHHH what this show is by far their most challenging yet! they should have gone to nationals! 

Vista Ridge: Why are you so Amazing? they went from underdog to a triple threat, be watching this one next year.

Vandegrift: They knocked me out of my seat when they hit those whole notes! they keep getting better, one critique: they need a guard that matches the group. 

Reagan: My favorite this year, they are a band that's always under the radar but just might take home the gold this year! 

Flowermond: Strong and have the ability to win, Leonardo's Dream was their best show but they have kept up enough to land them in another medal. 

Yes it does.  You need to be somewhere between the 35's if not the 40's.  For my taste, higher seats are better, but not all the way at the top.

Yes it does.  You need to be somewhere between the 35's if not the 40's.  For my taste, higher seats are better, but not all the way at the top.

I Agree, it is marching band! the drill is always beautiful from above! :)

I think just as the 2 panel system led to some surprises in finalist I think the final results will hold some surprises now that all 14 are judged by the same panel. That will probably be what determines the use of the system next year. But honestly with 84 bands what could they do? Maybe we see semifinals next year?