2017 BOA Atlanta

Well, I for one love all the discussion on this thread. Keep it coming! We've just got a few days left and this won't be an "Upcoming Contest" anymore and the thread will fade away...

I really enjoyed the newest vid of CR and remove my earlier comments about the messy-ness. I can't wait to see the TX bands do their THANG in Atlanta and I wish every single band participating the very best. Safe travels and knock 'em out, y'all! :) (PS. Go, Haltom!!!)

Exactly...let's remember that many of the people here are probably kids who are pumping up and excited about their own bands.

AND RIGHTFULLY SO!!

I want every kid in every band to have the passion to say "yeah...our program is great!!".

All those years ago, no one could convince me that my band wasn't the best....of course, we weren't...but that didn't matter at the time.

To the kids on this board...I don't care if you have 20 people in your band of 300. What you do is special and every parent on here is incredibly proud of the work that you have put in.

That's what makes marching band special....we pull for each other.

Yes so true

Exactly...let's remember that many of the people here are probably kids who are pumping up and excited about their own bands. 

AND RIGHTFULLY SO!! 

I want every kid in every band to have the passion to say "yeah...our program is great!!". 

All those years ago, no one could convince me that my band wasn't the best....of course, we weren't...but that didn't matter at the time.

To the kids on this board...I don't care if you have 20 people in your band of 300.  What you do is special and every parent on here is incredibly proud of the work that you have put in.

YES!  What he said!!!

AND RIGHTFULLY SO!! 

To the kids on this board...I don't care if you have 20 people in your band of 300.  What you do is special and every parent on here is incredibly proud of the work that you have put in.

All of this. :D My HS band was 125 strong and I still have the fondest memories of the shows we performed - and definitely remember feeling we were THE BEST. :) 

Go, go, go! Cheers everyone!!!

That's cool! Trinity has had a solid program for years but was always overshadowed by their district counterparts at L.D. Bell. I would love to see them have a good showing here that might help to boost their program in future years.

After watching Wando finally, I have to admit that I'm pretty impressed by their show and could see them in competition this year again.

My predictions for the first few:

1. Tarpon Springs

2. Cedar Ridge

3. Wando

4. Haltom

5. Fort Mill

6. Park Vista

I dont know very many other groups from here except a few of the bands that have historically been strong, like Kennesaw Mountain and Byrnes.

That's cool! Trinity has had a solid program for years but was always overshadowed by their district counterparts at L.D. Bell. I would love to see them have a good showing here that might help to boost their program in future years.

After watching Wando finally, I have to admit that I'm pretty impressed by their show and could see them in competition this year again.

My predictions for the first few:

1. Tarpon Springs

2. Cedar Ridge

3. Wando

4. Haltom

5. Fort Mill

6. Park Vista

I dont know very many other groups from here except a few of the bands that have historically been strong, like Kennesaw Mountain and Byrnes.

I will say I love cedars show and fort mill and haltom and wando .All great programs and would love to see it play out in this way or similar

WILKINSON’S Predictions:

1. Tarpon Springs H.S., FL

2. Wando H.S., SC

3. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

4. Haltom H.S., TX

5. Fort Mill H.S., SC

6. Park Vista H.S., FL

7. Kennesaw Mountain H.S., GA

8. James F. Byrnes H.S., SC

9. Walton H.S., GA

10. Green Hope H.S., NC

Next 5 Out: (In no particular order)

Lafayette

Euless Trinity

Mill Creek

Coweta

Hillgrove

Outstanding Music Performance: Haltom H.S., TX

Outstanding Visual Perfromance: Tarpon Springs H.S., FL

Outstanding General Effect: Tarpon Springs H.S., FL

Final Predictions

Top Five:

1st Place

Captions: General Effect(Lock), Visual (Possible), Music(Possible)

Tarpon Springs H.S., FL - Thier show is a little weird, but that has never stopped them before. They tend to lean on General Effect, which didn’t fail them last year. I believe that they will take the title, but I would rather see a surprise victory happen! They have the ability to snag every caption, but if they lose one, it will be the music caption.

2nd Place

Captions: Music (very possible)

Cedar Ridge H.S., TX - This group will fight for 2nd with Wando, but I have them coming out on top. After reviewing videos and seeing them live last week, they are the only group besides Tarpon that has a show that is fast and exciting. They execute it well and might even snag the music caption, this year Wando seems to lack General Effect that is why I gave CR 2nd. They are a little messy visually but not enough to cripple their entire delivery.

3rd Place

Captions: Music(possible), Visual(very possible)

Wando H.S., SC - I moved them up from my last prediction, they are too good not to medal but like I said above they have a good show, but it lacks excitement. They sound good, but the lack of general effect will put them below Tarpon and Cedar Ridge. If they win a caption, it will be music or what they won last year, visual. However, they could take 2nd with a great run!

4th Place

Captions: Music (Somewhat Possible)

Haltom H.S., TX - I am not bold enough to put them below 5th, they have a good show and they deliver it well. However, They just seem to lack something and I can’t figure out what. Their fanfare at the beginning with Britain's “...Guide to the Orchestra” doesn't quite hit the spot. Their show sounds more built for a state year rather than BOA, and because of that, it looks very low energy. I love their closing set, but when the brass comes forward to give one last hit, they don’t have a strong enough impact moment. The best part of their show is the ballad section, which the flutes add a soft but beautiful touch (I love flutes on the field!!!). Haltom is in the same category of bands like vista ridge, wakeland, and keller central. These are great programs and with a year or two could eventually start being a serious threat.

5th Place

Captions: None

Fort Mill H.S., SC - Big band with a big sound, they won the Winston Salem regional over Dobyns-Bennett who was the clear favorite to win. If they are any higher it will be fourth place; I don’t see them taking home a medal. The competition is tough at the top.

Next FIve:

Park Vista H.S., FL

Walton H.S., GA

Lafayette H.S., LA

James F. Byrnes H.S., SC

Green Hope H.S., NC

Bottom Two:

Hillgrove H.S., GA

Kennesaw Mountain H.S., GA

2015 Atlanta thread - 9 replies, 1,576 views
2016 Atlanta thread - 2 replies, 947 views

This year's thread: 296 replies, 12,755 views.

I can't help but wonder how a non-Texas contest with only 3 TX bands going managed to garner such huge interest.  It's even got more views and replies than the Grand Nats thread this year.

2015 Atlanta thread - 9 replies, 1,576 views

2016 Atlanta thread - 2 replies, 947 views

This year's thread: 296 replies, 12,755 views.

I can't help but wonder how a non-Texas contest with only 3 TX bands going managed to garner such huge interest. It's even got more views and replies than the Grand Nats thread this year.

All aboard the hype train!!