Atlanta - The Other Halloween Regional

There's going to be a A LOT of focus on what's going on in San Antonio on Halloween weekend, as there definitely should be.  But let's not forget about what seems like an especially large group of bands heading to Atlanta this year.  

Clements

Cypress Falls

LD Bell

Westwood

Winston Churchill 

I think all 5 have a pretty decent shot at making finals based on what I've seen watching this regional online the past 2 years, as well as these bands shows this year.  Thoughts on each band:

Clements - Show is called "The Genesis Code".  Clements always seems to me RIGHT on the cusp of being one of the heavy hitters in Texas.  They seem relatively strong this year.  Some pretty big moments musically throughout, especially the first hit.  Great drill, and a great guard.  Show this year seems a little more focused as well.  They're performing pretty solidly right now, in 2 weeks I could see them being pretty polished.  

Cypress Falls - Haven't seen a video until recently and I don't think it's the full show.  However, seems like they're pretty solid overall.  They  sound great in their big moments.  Finalists in 2013, don't see why not again.  Especially after their pretty impressive showing in Conroe.  

LD Bell - No vid for me yet.  If anyone has one and wants to PM me............. ;).  Anyways, sounds like they're stronger than the past few years.  Excited to see the show.  Competed well in Arlington!

Westwood - I've not seen much of them either, but it seems like they really blossom later on.  They REALLY cleaned up for state last year, was really impressed.  Later in the season, don't see why they couldn't do pretty well.

Winston Churchill - So Dada?  Interesting, very peculiar show, and I mean that in a good way.  Very nice visual program, guard contributes quite a bit to that.  They sound very nice as well.  Finalist finishes at two tough regionals, don't see why not here as well.  

As far as their competition.  I'd say it's more than likely Tarpons.  Probably can say that with 100% certainty.  I saw a video............and GEEZ.  Definitely not any less impressive even though it's not a nationals year.  Show seems to be themed around some evil woman who keeps exotic animals (the guard) as pets.  And they're just not too happy about that.  There's a bunch of cages, a HUGE and FANTASTIC color guard (probably the most impressive part of their show), ridiculous amounts of technical passages, high velocity drill, pretty much what you'd expect from Tarpon.  They're also increasing in size, over 200 members now.  Wando, Harrison, and Dobbyns Bennett will probably be Bells biggest competition besides Tarpon.  After that, there's a large flury of bands that are potential finalists.  

Should be a great super regional!  

Friday Prelims:
3:45 Harrison H.S., GA
4:00 Dutchtown H.S., GA
4:15 McEachern H.S., GA
4:30 Hickory H.S., VA

4:45 Break

5:15 Fayette County H.S., GA
5:30 Clements H.S., TX
5:45 Paulding County H.S., GA
6:00 Ola H.S., GA
6:15 Mill Creek H.S., GA
6:30 Walton H.S., GA

6:45 Break

7:15 Forsyth Central H.S., GA
7:30 Westminster H.D., MD
7:45 Hillgrove H.S., GA
8:00 L.D. Bell H.S., TX
8:15 Olympia H.S., FL
8:30 Northwest Guilford H.S., NC
8:45 Wando H.S., SC

Saturday Prelims:
8:30 Providence H.S., NC
8:45 Kettering Fairmont H.S., OH
9:00 Fort Mill H.S., SC
9:15 Morton H.S., IL
9:30 Winston Churchill H.S., TX

9:45 Break

10:30 Westwood H.S., TX
10:45 West Johnston H.S., NC
11:00 Centerville H.S., OH
11:15 Panther Creek H.S., NC
11:30 Seymour H.S., TN
11:45 Cuthbertson H.S., NC
12:00 Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN
12:15 Mount Pleasant H.S., NC
12:30 Spanish Fort H.S., AL
12:45 East Coweta H.S., GA

1:00 Break

1:45 James Madison H.S., VA
2:00 Saint James School, AL
2:15 Grain Valley H.S., MO
2:30 Smithfield-Selma H.S., NC
2:45 Seminole H.S., FL
3:00 Cypress Falls H.S., TX
3:15 Father Ryan H.S., TN
3:30 Rock Hill H.S., SC
3:45 Hoover H.S., AL
4:00 Tarpon Springs H.S., FL

I'll be watching the bands in the Alamodome, but I'm pretty excited about this contest.  I agree that all five should have a chance at finals.  Churchill seems to be on the mend finally, and I'm hoping they'll be in the top half of finals.  Bell could medal, but I don't think they can beat Tarpon Springs.

Given all of the Texas bands involved in Atlanta and Grand Nats, will those contests make the predictions page?

I think this is a great decision by Bell and Churchill. While Tarpon is one of the best there is, Atlanta is a lot less deep than SA. Those two groups could have a much better end result to their season by traveling to Atlanta. Good way to gear the kids up for a nationals run (like Churchill), or to get back up on the top of their game.

• 2 weeks later...

[Copy pasting the Atlanta results posted in the SA thread and putting them in the Atlanta thread:]

Atlanta Results:

1)  Tarpon Springs - 94.55

2)  LD Bell - 90.90

3)  Harrison - 88.85

4) Dobyns Bennett - 86.60

5)  Fort Mill - 86.50

6)  Cypress Falls - 85.55

7)  Winston Churchill - 85.10

8)  Walton - 84.10

9)   Westwood - 84.00

10)  Wando - 82.25 (Dang, that's pretty surprising based on how much I loved them at GN last year)

11)  Clements - 81.90

12) Centerville - 80.55

Music - Tarpon Springs

Visual - Tarpon Springs

GE - Tarpon Springs

Finals Music rankings:

Tarpon 18.75
Churchill 18.55
Bell 18.50
Harrison 18.20
Dobyns-Bennett 17.85
Westwood 17.80
Walton 17.50
Cy-Falls 17.40
Clements 17.25
Fort Mill 17.05
Wando 17.05
Centerville 16.65

Narrowly missed stealing the music caption from the Eagle Bearer (Individual Judge only had Tarpon .1 ahead of Bell).  Drat....

Such a fun finals, really lovely bands. Bell's show was awesome, Immortal.  Churchill's was CREEPY, appropriate for Halloween.  All the Texas Bands did well. As a Westwood guy, very proud of the music placement, as that's our focus.

Tarpon's guard was off the charts...(didn't like the part where the head guy is on top of the cage whipping the girl tigers below.  That was the intro to the concept.) Incredible technique all around, and boy are they good!

Oh, and loved Wando.  Weird, they performed right after Westwood, and had a portion of Whitacre's October in their show as well.  They played it beautifully, but I did like Westwood's arrangement with October at the beginning and end of the entire show a bit better.  It's a lovely piece.  I'm not objective though. Frankly I was surprised that Westwood placed above them in the finals, they have a great band!