2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

If I can offer my (unprofessional) opinion, this forum has seen its ups and downs over the years of amount of activity. Every year we'll say it's the "best year so far" for marching band, or "the best this contest has been" and that's likely true because bands keep raising the bar and more and more bands are in contention for success each year. But I think the years where there is a lot of activity on the boards tend to just depend on the mix of posters that year. This year I think has been good because there seems to be a good combination of students, alumni and parents who have driven conversation, and therefore spurred even more anticipation for awesome shows and contests. It also probably helps that a lot of "oldies" have been more involved on the board this year, and the Daniels have been more active with podcasts and reviews.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, it's good to see those 2 old men participating so much this season. I'm just a kid, myself. :D

I lurked for several years before deciding last Spring to make an official account and start chatting. I wish I had done it sooner, when my band kid was still in HS. I'm not sure what stopped me! I'm definitely not a shy person. I guess I thought the site was more for band experts and students. But I'm glad to see so many parents contributing. It certainly makes for a more well rounded discussion.

Did you ever notice the stat at the bottom of the page that shows the most posters ever on a single day? It's some random date in May! What the heck could have been happening that particular May day to cause such a stir? Any of you old coots remember that day and can shed some light on it for me?

Thanks for responding Mr LHSax. Were you a Leander student or does the L stand for something else?

Did you ever notice the stat at the bottom of the page that shows the most posters ever on a single day? It's some random date in May! What the heck could have been happening that particular May day to cause such a stir? Any of you old coots remember that day and can shed some light on it for me?

That's weird.  From what's on my page, the most people online was 370.  This happened on October 29th, 2016 which would have been the day of 6A Area Contests across the State.

That's weird. From what's on my page, the most people online was 370. This happened on October 29th, 2016 which would have been the day of 6A Area Contests across the State.

Well now that I think about, that stat may have been on the MFA forums.

Edit: yep...MFA. It says "Most users ever online was 612 at 08:38 PM on 05-25-2015."

Wonder why...

I'd be curious as to what your professional opinion is as to why that is. Is it because Avon is coming down? Or the bands are just more ramped up this year? A mixture of both perhaps? Or is interest in general just increasing exponentially from year to year!

I'd definitely say a mix. Also because the gold medal is up for grabs while last year it was pretty obvious no one was touching Flower Mound. Honestly I think this is much more exciting, I don't want San Antonio to be like St. Louis or Atlanta where its just seeing by how much the champion wins. Not to mention just getting into finals is crazier than ever. It's been said before but some REALLY good band s are not going to be in finals.

I lurked for over a year before making an account, too. I think I thought that people wouldnt want to hear the opinions of someone with such little personal experience who doesn't even live in Texas, but then I finally decided that I didnt care if y'all wanted to hear it or not. Haha

As for the random date in May, coukd that have been when the list of participating GNats bands was released? I don't remember when that happens.

anyone else think there needs to be a semi finals here?

I'm going to go with no simply because it would sort of "diminish" the format of Grand Nationals.  BOA has a good thing going with its three tiers of marching contests (Regional, Super Regional, Grand Nationals).  Plus, having Semis only for Grand Nationals can be used as a bargaining tool with programs trying to convince their districts to let them travel to Indianapolis.  If San Antonio went with Semi-Finals, I would imagine many districts would just tell the program to go to San Antonio and save money.  

I'll be super honest and tell you all that I thought the idea of 14 finalists for a Super Regional was a little over the top.  However, I've grown accustomed to this format being a nice alternative to having a Semi-Finals for a Super Regional.

I too was a lurker for a couple of years. I made an account for 2 reasons - I felt there was too much San Antonio/Austin/Dallas centric commenting, so there needed to be someone from another relatively under-served region commenting, and during my lurking days I found this board to have actual conversations and discussions, and wasn't full of trolls. People were and are happy to share their experiences and expertise, and the community isn't hostile. I find that refreshing - you can have real conversations and discussions! Such a novel idea anymore...

I also think that only Grand Nationals should have a semi-finals. Having a full 2 days of prelims and the expanded finals for a Super Regional is a good compromise. Of course Texas has such a large number of strong programs it is extraordinarily difficult to make finals at San Antonio (and the regionals aren't exactly easy either). While maybe the winner will change, we do tend to talk about the same bands toward the top, so in that sense it isn't so different from St. Louis or Indianapolis Supers.

I'll be super honest and tell you all that I thought the idea of 14 finalists for a Super Regional was a little over the top. However, I've grown accustomed to this format being a nice alternative to having a Semi-Finals for a Super Regional.

Wow. At this point I can not fathom there being less than 14 finalists at a Super Regional. Imagine if only 10 bands made finals in SA! I just can't.

I feel sad that a lot of worthy bands can’t make grand nats because of travel cost. I sort of wish that they’d move BOAs headquarters to Texas because that’s where most of the best marching bands are located, and that’s not including Oklahoma bands who could also drive easily to Texas. But that’s leave the same problem up north, where a lot of great programs are too, like Avon, Carmel, Castle, Homestead in Indiana. Again that’s not including surrounding states. But to be honest, a majority of the best programs are in Texas, which is why Avon is flying down for the super regional. I think eventually for competitive reasons they should move grand nats to San Antonio because it’s basically becoming a bigger competition than grand nats.

Now that we have seen something from all of the bands in contention, I am ready to post my mid-season predictions. I have grouped them in tiers as well as some commentary.

Contenders:

1. Flower Mound- This show has really great potential to peak between SA and GNats. Right now it seems there is a bit much going on with all the colors and things happening, but I don't think any other band can match their ability to clean a show and when they do that, all of the things going on should have a great effect.

2. Claudia Taylor Johnson- I haven't seen their show at all yet but it sounds exciting and interesting and fun! They should do really well here.

3. Avon- I can't see Avon missing out on a medal here. Their visual package is always stunning and will surely be again this year.

4. Hebron- Musically, they are already showing that they are capable of winning. Everyone loves their ballad and they perform the heck out of it! My only worry is that when they have a complete show, they may not have the GE that came from ending with their stunning ballad to keep up with these other contenders. I'm interested to see what they do with the rest of their show.

5. The Woodlands- They may not have medaled at Conroe, but their show design seems capable of boosting them past those that were ahead of them come November. One of the most interesting shows to watch this year in my opinion.

Finals locks:

6. Ronald Reagan- I like this show much better than last years already. It has some great GE moments and a really cool premise that resonates well with the audience. Fantastic guard/dance work as well.

7. Marcus- I love the body movements portion! So unique. Their show design is strange and fun. I think it will be very successful by the time they get to GNats.

8. Vandegrift- Beautiful musical performance from this band. I feel like I'm sitting at Carnegie Hall listening to a world famous Symphonic Band when they play. I can't say that their show design is as impactful as many of the others, but I would be shocked if they didn't make the top 10.

9. Leander- I wasn't sold on this show until I saw their additions at Conroe. I love the big white flags being lifted to reveal more people. Also Apres Moi is one of my favorites, so that's a bonus. I think this show has the ability to be DRAMATIC in a really cool way.

10. Round Rock- Their show has a really great premise. Like Flower Mound, it is kinda chaotic right now with so much going on, but I think it will clean up nicely and any necessary changes to the drill will be made.

11. James Bowie- I must admit, I was surprised when they placed 4th at Conroe, but after watching their show, I think it was very deserved. Their show has a great concept capable of having a neat effect and I also really like how different their uniforms are this year.

12. Cedar Park- I'm not really sure where to put them. This is the show that I know the least about as of right now. Given past performances, I can't see them missing finals, but don't know if they will be able to beat most of the bands ahead of them.

Finals Contenders:

13. Cedar Ridge- From what I've heard, their show is really engaging and well designed. I hope they do really well at Atlanta!

14. L.D. Bell- I really like the look of their show. With the uniforms and the flags all corresponding to each other (and not clashing with the green on the field) it makes their show seem really clean and professional. Also they have a huge sound that can lead to some powerful moments.

15. Hendrickson- I can't believe I'm predicting them not to make finals, but there just aren't enough spots. Their show was really well designed from a cool premise. I have to admit that when watching it however, I was hoping for a dramatic tear-down of the wall.

16. Keller- Musically, keller can compete with some of the best. Their design this year is a very interesting and innovative idea and it might make their drill more competitive. If they can execute well, I think they can make finals, but we will just have to wait and see what their closer is like.

17. Churchill- This show has a really cool premise, but I feel that the design kinda fell flat. There are times when they have huge hits that make me think they are a top 10 band, but the rest just seems a bit boring to me. If they can make it seem like more of a story then I might get on board.

18. Cy Fair- This band looks to me like an emerging annual finals contender. They aren't quite there against the stacked field this year but are making the improvements to get there soon.

19. Keller Central- The title of this show (The complex nature of simplicity) is very appropriate. The design, while extremely simple and seemingly of no theme is really cool and I love the way the band seems to glide from one corner of the field to the opposite.

Other Long Shots:

20. Vista Ridge

21. Dripping Springs

22. Coppell

23. Timber Creek

24. Wakeland

25. Pearland

26. Clear Brook

And there are so many more great bands.. Wow! Let me know what you think! (And sorry for any typos- my phone tends to autocorrect without me noticing, yet misses when I misspell something)

I do not envy the prelims panel here, especially the music judges. Judging over 60 bands, many of which are quite strong musically, gets pretty stultifying after a while. It’ll be a fight just to be remembered. (Cue the SFA parents: “Be Remembered!!!”)

Sure, you’ve got your obvious title contenders near the top, like Flower Mound, CTJ, Avon, Hebron, Reagan, and Vandegrift. But those last few spots in finals are where it gets really interesting. This year more than ever there will likely be a “national finalist” quality group that won’t make finals. (Of course, as nationals becomes more and more competitive, “national finalist” quality is an ever-changing thing.) It’s pretty sad, actually. To think that groups as strong as, say, Keller or Cedar Ridge possibly won’t make finals. I think the very fact that there are often such huge rearrangements in prelims and finals placements is proof enough of the high quality of the groups. Heck, even the early season rearrangements have been quite striking, even when the improvements from the bands have not been. It really hits home how much a band’s placement depends on the panel it gets. Obviously, that has always been the case, but it seems truer in this era where every other band is driving with an 8-cylinder.

Now that I know that my family from the North (Wisconsin) isn't traveling here for Thanksgiving, I have a few spare 
vacation days to spare this year.  Was thinking I need a break and might venture down to SA to see the bands :).

Any suggestions for hotels within walking distance that are reasonable in price?    I have stayed at the Drury Inn
a few years ago, the one on St. Mary's and Commerce (I think), but the walk is a bit of a hike.   

Now that I know that my family from the North (Wisconsin) isn't traveling here for Thanksgiving, I have a few spare 

vacation days to spare this year.  Was thinking I need a break and might venture down to SA to see the bands :).

Any suggestions for hotels within walking distance that are reasonable in price?    I have stayed at the Drury Inn

a few years ago, the one on St. Mary's and Commerce (I think), but the walk is a bit of a hike.   

You should definitely do it!!  I'm sure enjoying myself as a graduated parent, and I'll be there as well.  I'm fortunate to have two of my kiddos living in San Marcos (one is a Freshman in the dorm and the other in grad school with her own apartment).  I'll probably just go stay with my daughter in her apartment in San Marcos and travel back and forth from there Friday and Saturday.  Not too far really!  There should be plenty of hotels close by to the Alamodome though.  Heck, treat yourself to one along the riverwalk!  :)

You should definitely do it!! I'm sure enjoying myself as a graduated parent, and I'll be there as well. I'm fortunate to have two of my kiddos living in San Marcos (one is a Freshman in the dorm and the other in grad school with her own apartment). I'll probably just go stay with my daughter in her apartment in San Marcos and travel back and forth from there Friday and Saturday. Not too far really! There should be plenty of hotels close by to the Alamodome though. Heck, treat yourself to one along the riverwalk! :)

I am going to see if my son at college station can join us too (he would be the PESH graduate). I have to get approval from from work but hopefully its not an issue. Then I have to figure out if I can take my son out of school (HS Freshman) for a day!