2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

The interesting thing about this year is that I don't think we'll see a first time (Texas-based) BOA SA finalist for the first time in a long time (not including Avon).

I don't have the patience to go back too far, but off some initial research...

2016 - Hendrickson, Cypress Falls

2015 - Wakeland

2014 - Vista Ridge

2013 - Cedar Ridge, Coppell

2012 - Maybe no one new? Could be wrong

...etc - many new bands emerged during the years prior.

I just don't see a way for a new finalist to squeeze into this finalist group. But a lot of the above bands were probably hard to predict, so you never know!

Here is a question.....  Has there ever been a Texas band going to Grand Nationals NOT make finals in San Antonio?  

Last year both Bowie and Whitesboro attended Grand Nationals without making finals in San Antonio. Of course neither of them actually competed at San Antonio, but still technically the answer to your question is yes.

I don't know about winning, but making finals and doing well in finals, certainly. BOA Conroe is INSANELY stacked this year, and will probably be just as intense as BOA DFW. We've got Leander, Vandegrift, the Woodlands, Bowie, and Reagan who I personally think will be filling out the top spots.

Wow, you totally nailed that one right out of the gate!

This thread already has more replies than the 2016 San Antonio thread and the contest is still 3 weeks away.

I'd be curious as to what your professional opinion is as to why that is.  Is it because Avon is coming down?  Or the bands are just more ramped up this year?  A mixture of both perhaps?  Or is interest in general just increasing exponentially from year to year!  

If I can offer my (unprofessional) opinion, this forum has seen its ups and downs over the years of amount of activity. Every year we'll say it's the "best year so far" for marching band, or "the best this contest has been" and that's likely true because bands keep raising the bar and more and more bands are in contention for success each year. But I think the years where there is a lot of activity on the boards tend to just depend on the mix of posters that year. This year I think has been good because there seems to be a good combination of students, alumni and parents who have driven conversation, and therefore spurred even more anticipation for awesome shows and contests. It also probably helps that a lot of "oldies" have been more involved on the board this year, and the Daniels have been more active with podcasts and reviews. 

Just my thoughts.

If I can offer my (unprofessional) opinion, this forum has seen its ups and downs over the years of amount of activity. Every year we'll say it's the "best year so far" for marching band, or "the best this contest has been" and that's likely true because bands keep raising the bar and more and more bands are in contention for success each year. But I think the years where there is a lot of activity on the boards tend to just depend on the mix of posters that year. This year I think has been good because there seems to be a good combination of students, alumni and parents who have driven conversation, and therefore spurred even more anticipation for awesome shows and contests. It also probably helps that a lot of "oldies" have been more involved on the board this year, and the Daniels have been more active with podcasts and reviews. 

Just my thoughts.

Hahaha!  Oldies???????????  If I had my cane with me, I'd whoop your butt!!!!! 

Correct, sir.  We've had some great conversation the past few months on this board from tons of people passionate about the activity!!  I'm beyond thrilled to see that happening.  Personally, I've made a conscious effort to be more active on here this year thanks to recent inspirations****

****Listen to The Danpodcast or feel the wrath of The Burning Queso