UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

4 minutes ago, packwick said:

tw's music ordinals are kinda iffy. what happened? bad run? didn't watch anything but based on area vids id have them higher.

Personally thought they had a great run! I will admit, I think they lacked a decent amount of Dynamics and there weren’t any moments on the stream at least that got me all excited, so I’m guessing so. Im still surprised they were that low but we should hopefully see some improvement tomorrow, probably just individually stuff we couldn’t here 

12 minutes ago, packwick said:

tw's music ordinals are kinda iffy. what happened? bad run? didn't watch anything but based on area vids id have them higher.

They were definitely stronger visually than they were musically. (I'm surprised they weren't outright first in ensemble visual. 1st in execution, but 10th in content, which is baffling to me coming from the BOA system.) Anyway, musically, they seemed a little fatigued compared to area videos, and they definitely didn't project the full, rich ensemble sound of groups like Marcus and Flower Mound, for example. Soloists had rough runs, too. But, their music ordinals are still quite a bit lower than I would have had them. Not sure what to make of it for BOA this week and next!

so it looks like we'll likely be seeing Hoskins in brass tomorrow, Brooks in perc. Davis and Fugett id guess in either ens music or design, Wessels in woodwinds?? not sure about that one. one of the vis judges from today should return but Miller will join him as a new judge in either ens or ind vis. sooo mostly a new panel.

10 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Well I got 12/14 finalists right so yay for me lol. I couldn’t really figure out who be those last one or two. 

12 out of 14 of last year’s returning finalist returned to state and made finals, one of them was first out. So cool to see programs maintain such a high standard year to year. 

I managed to get 10/14 guessed to make finals, I didn't guess Waxahachie, Cy-Fair, Bridgeland, or Keller. I always like to be proved wrong :)

8 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

I managed to get 10/14 guessed to make finals, I didn't guess Waxahachie, Cy-Fair, Bridgeland, or Keller. I always like to be proved wrong :)

My only surprise was no CTJ. I felt the returning finalists were killing it this year so I had them all coming back to finals. When I first saw Bridgeland’s show I thought “wow this is so good” there was something special about their performance but I just didn’t realize it was THAT good this year. 

17 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

My only surprise was no CTJ. I felt the returning finalists were killing it this year so I had them all coming back to finals. When I first saw Bridgeland’s show I thought “wow this is so good” there was something special about their performance but I just didn’t realize it was THAT good this year. 

CTJ was robbed of finals. If you followed this thread earlier in the day, you would have seen comments of Waxahachie being disqualified for exceeding the time limit. It was decided that they would not be disqualified or penalized in any way by a panel. Even though the UIL rules state - as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any Band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified.

they have used this rule to disqualify programs in the last 10 years that I have been involved with UIL.

I am not saying that Waxahachie should be excluded after they were announced as a finalist - but if you are going to ignore your own rule, to make concessions for them you should also make concessions for CTJ and add a 15th finalist to the event.

at the end of the day, if you have a rule, it needs to be enforced or done away with.

50 minutes ago, JMR2022 said:

CTJ was robbed of finals. If you followed this thread earlier in the day, you would have seen comments of Waxahachie being disqualified for exceeding the time limit. It was decided that they would not be disqualified or penalized in any way by a panel. Even though the UIL rules state - as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any Band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified.

they have used this rule to disqualify programs in the last 10 years that I have been involved with UIL.

I am not saying that Waxahachie should be excluded after they were announced as a finalist - but if you are going to ignore your own rule, to make concessions for them you should also make concessions for CTJ and add a 15th finalist to the event.

at the end of the day, if you have a rule, it needs to be enforced or done away with.

I have no horse in this race but I completely agree. Why teach students that standards and regulations are okay to break when the stakes are higher? UIL, remove the rule OR enforce the rule. 

1 hour ago, JMR2022 said:

I 1000th% concur.  Rules are rules and can't pick and choose when to apply them especially when it's black and white. 

I most definitely agree ! Only way to fix it is add 15th to finals and go back to enforcing this rule immediately!