Duncanville Marching Invitational 2022 - October 22nd

I see why Keller competes so well. I noticed that when they do those crescendoing phrases, they’re longer than the phrases the other bands attempt. That’s riskier as the longer the phrase goes the more likely(and easier to notice) a decay in the quality of sound can occur. And they attempt more simultaneous playing while marching. 

15 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

I’m impressed with Waxahacie’s risk taking with the triplets in the brass. It can be very easy to make those sound crunched and unclear, but they not only make every note speak but they put a great amount of shape into those phrases and balance and blend their sound very well with their fellow performers. 

Also that lyrical woodwind feature in the ballad was awesome! When the woodwinds play that high up, it can be easy to notice any discrepancy in the sound (like that clarinet squeak lol) but they handle it so well. Very characteristic sounds even in tougher octaves. And they shape it beautifully. 

1 minute ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Duncanville was so funky! The singer so authentically captured the New York, jazzy style. Great job woodwinds with those runs. Brass so groovy and fun to listen to. Very talented performers in every section!

kay I’m now done with analyses, whew!😩🤣 on to the awards!

I appreciate your analysis!

12 minutes ago, peshbandkid said:

I would bawl uncontrollably 

Duncanville closely reflects a UIL rubric, when you see the caliber of bands around them, especially the ones that they placed right below of, I wouldn’t doubt that they’re live in the 3-state-slot race in Area C! Probably placing higher than many people have had them in their predictions up to this point, we’ll see!

7 minutes ago, josephbandfan said:

Was definitely my favorite competition of the season thus far! Everyone was so good and entertaining and I was kind of shocked at how amazing everyone sounded. 

I had a blast being there in person watching the programs do their thing, and relaying the play-by-play for you all🥵🤣

16 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Yes. I was calling it “funny” because at BOA they don’t list them out all at once even if there’s only 1 band in that class, they do them one at a time. It was different. People chuckled when the announcer called the 4A and 5A awards all at once

How was Canyon as the only 4A band? 

13 minutes ago, RaElk99 said:

How was Canyon as the only 4A band? 

They were a good band. I personally thought the woodwinds were stronger than the brass, but the judges may have disagreed, idk the scores and ordinal ranks. Canyon has good performers, just not as much balance in their sound compared to the bigger bands like Wakeland, where it sounded like every performer maintained the same level of intensity. Sometimes Canyon’s brass was a little tentative with their starts. I think because the other groups ensemble sounds are so much louder/stronger and the bigger bands are capable of more complex drill formations, Canyon being a smaller band couldn’t get into finals. 

I loved that bat cave thing where the guard was upside down then jumped down to enter the field. They did a good job staying in character! 

it was a shame the bassoonist’s mic didn’t work in either prelims or finals. I wanted to hear her play! I was a bassoonist in high school too! I loved how she stayed in character regardless! 

2 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

They were a good band. I personally thought the woodwinds were stronger than the brass, but the judges may have disagreed, idk the scores and ordinal ranks. Canyon has good performers, just not as much balance in their sound compared to the bigger bands like Wakeland, where it sounded like every performer maintained the same level of intensity. Sometimes Canyon’s brass was a little tentative with their starts. I think because the other groups ensemble sounds are so much louder/stronger and the bigger bands are capable of more complex drill formations, Canyon being a smaller band couldn’t get into finals. 

I loved that bat cave thing where the guard was upside down then jumped down to enter the field. They did a good job staying in character! 

it was a shame the bassoonist’s mic didn’t work in either prelims or finals. I wanted to hear her play! I was a bassoonist in high school too! I loved how she stayed in character regardless! 

Thanks for the review!! I've seen them perform and loved the theme. The bassoonist was my absolute favorite part of their show, so sad y'all missed hearing it better. 

20 minutes ago, Mellomadman said:

How was Chisholm Trail???

Similar to Lake Ridge, they clearly have a strong concert band program. They play all of their material very confidently and professionally. I especially liked the in the hall of the mountain king movement. I was impressed by how well each woodwind section executed their part, really good control from the high woodwinds in the upper register 8th-note phrases, and confident playing from the saxes and low reeds. I liked those little ornaments the brass did in their playing! Very creative. And the low brass handled their part so well, very controlled sounds coming from that section when they could’ve easily played their parts splatty. They’re a band that’s comfortable with featuring any section which is impressive.

I think the reason they got 10th was because they were more conservative with their drill formations and simultaneous playing while marching. The top two bands, Keller and Wakeland, were much stronger in this department by comparison. And those two groups took higher risks with their music: More double tonguing in the brass, more woodwind runs, all done at a faster tempo while on the move. And at a well controlled, louder volume.