BOA Houston 2019

Got to see Austin High and Westlake halftime last night. 

Westlake didn't have any props, but I know they are using the pride of cincinatti props. Not sure why they didn't use them. They sound better than last year at this point I think, and the show seems cleaner. They played and marched up through the ballad. They have really upped their game form a choreography standpoint, there are very few moments in the show where they aren't doing some type of body movement. The ballad has a really nice full band choreography moment that is really really cool. The color guard is also really strong and featured multiple times in the show. 

Overall I think they are building on their success of last season and will do really well this year! I am predicting top 3 at BOA Houston, could possibly challenge the woodlands? I also don't know how Oak ridge, seven lakes and cy fair are performing....so hard to predict!

Austin high is doing really well! They are getting stronger every year and are way better than when I was in the band. They are 6A now, so no 5A state for them, but I still think they will do really well this year. I think they have vista ridge props from last year. 

Got to see Austin High and Westlake halftime last night. 

Westlake didn't have any props, but I know they are using the pride of cincinatti props. Not sure why they didn't use them. They sound better than last year at this point I think, and the show seems cleaner. They played and marched up through the ballad. They have really upped their game form a choreography standpoint, there are very few moments in the show where they aren't doing some type of body movement. The ballad has a really nice full band choreography moment that is really really cool. The color guard is also really strong and featured multiple times in the show. 

Overall I think they are building on their success of last season and will do really well this year! I am predicting top 3 at BOA Houston, could possibly challenge the woodlands? I also don't know how Oak ridge, seven lakes and cy fair are performing....so hard to predict!

Austin high is doing really well! They are getting stronger every year and are way better than when I was in the band. They are 6A now, so no 5A state for them, but I still think they will do really well this year. I think they have vista ridge props from last year. 

Wrong Austin. 

Wrong Austin in what sense? This person literally said they went to that school so I think they knew which one they were talking about?? This is the Austin in the Austin area, right? Not the one we call SFA from the Houston area.

Sorry, I misunderstood. My mistake. My apologies.

I'm definitely not offended. Just a bit confused! There are too many schools with the same name. I think that Westlake is competing at BOA Houston, but this Austin is not.

Yeah sorry, I just read the post wrong and thought someone thought it was the other Austin competing here. My mistake. Both great programs nonetheless!

Any good places to eat around legacy?

Tons, but depending on how far out you want to go. Katy asia town is about five minutes away on a normal day, Red robin, Whiskey Cake are also in that area. There's a Willy Burger ~5 minutes in the other direction, they're pretty good, but can get a bit pricey. You could also go down I-10 a bit (obviously if you have the time.) Plenty of restaurants near Katy Mills.

Will be interesting to see how the tropical storm impacts the Houston area bands. Some areas were much harder hit than others. It caused Brazoswood to pull out of BOA McAllen.

East and south sides of Houston were the most impacted. Brazoswood is near Freeport, which is where the tropical storm made landfall, so they had significant impacts. Katy, Cypress, Tomball, The Woodlands, Conroe and places west and north of Houston had comparatively lesser impacts from the storm.

So, by the first week of October, who will and who won't have a completed show? I anticipate there will be no time penalties, as everyone should have enough on the field to avoid that.

I think TWHS will either have the full show on, or very close. They had around 7 to 8 minutes performed at the last football game (although they skipped the opener due to time constraints at the game). I think as long as the design is ready they will have it on the field. Will they have enough confidence to present it? That is another question. I think they should, so they can receive feedback on the overall design and tweak it as needed.

Kinda funny to see Westwood discounted for finals. It seems like this event would be more favorable to them doing well.

Certainly not discounting them (from your thumbnail, this is your band?). I think Westwood is certainly in the discussion (per my post on my picks), but I think the ones I picked have a better chance purely from past results. Haven't seen anything from y'all yet this year, but I think Westwood absolutely can make finals, and if you do miss, it will not be by much. I wouldn't be too surprised if 10th to 17th are within 2 or 3 points or so. Viewing the predictions analysis page, the current consensus is 11th for Westwood. So you are very much on people's minds for a finalist spot. But don't worry about what we think or say - stay focused on doing your best and knock our socks off on the field!

Kinda funny to see Westwood discounted for finals. It seems like this event would be more favorable to them doing well.

Don't get cocky, a lot of groups here have proven good competition for us including JET and Pearland throughout my years and since I graduated. I hope you guys can make it but it won't be easy, you definitely have the show but after that it's all in your control so don't stop pushing until you have actually made it. See you guys at Austin this weekend!

I'll be open about my thinking....

9 bands that finished ahead of Westwood at San Antonio last year are attending. Those 9 plus Cy-Fair and Stephen F Austin, as well as strong competition from Cy-Falls, Dawson, Westfield, and Brazoswood make a top 10 finish very difficult at this regional. My opinion is that this regional has more finalist worthy bands than the Austin or the DFW regionals. But hey, that is just my opinion.... Every band I listed (certainly including Westwood) are terrific and fun to watch. So many of them are only going to get 1 performance - so go out and make that performance the best you can. You just might get that 2nd one Saturday night.

Edited to add - and I forgot about Richland, Pflugerville, Friendswood.... So while not a top-heavy show, this regional is filled with strong programs through around places 18-20. And who knows - I really liked Bridgeland last year, and they have had another year to grow. And maybe someone else (O'Connor?) will surprise.

Edited by TWHSParent

I'll be open about my thinking....

9 bands that finished ahead of Westwood at San Antonio last year are attending. Those 9 plus Cy-Fair and Stephen F Austin, as well as strong competition from Cy-Falls, Dawson, Westfield, and Brazoswood make a top 10 finish very difficult at this regional. My opinion is that this regional has more finalist worthy bands than the Austin or the DFW regionals. But hey, that is just my opinion.... Every band I listed (certainly including Westwood) are terrific and fun to watch. So many of them are only going to get 1 performance - so go out and make that performance the best you can. You just might get that 2nd one Saturday night.

Edited to add - and I forgot about Richland, Pflugerville, Friendswood.... So while not a top-heavy show, this regional is filled with strong programs through around places 18-20. And who knows - I really liked Bridgeland last year, and they have had another year to grow. And maybe someone else (O'Connor?) will surprise.

I count 8 that finished ahead of Westwood at S.A. - College, Park, James Taylor, Oak Ridge, The Woodlands, Pearland, Clear Brook, Seven Lakes and Ronald Reagan.  Who am I missing?

The Austin contest has 11 that finished ahead of Westwood at S.A., including six Finalists vs two at Houston, which has eight more bands attending.  Gotta disagree with you about Austin vs Houston.  

Having said all that, I have seen Westwood's show and I think they will be in contention for Austin Finals this Saturday.  That contest will certainly speak to their chances at Houston.