2019 5A State

A bunch of hobos has a lot of visual dirt to take care of before state, I think at their current level Sentient Dr. Beat and Drinkwater’s dogs both easily top them, especially with Sentient Dr. Beat’s new staff

Keep an eye out for Collin College... even though they don’t rehearse, ever, I think those jr college kids could really pull it together.

It seems a recurring theme in the Area threads this year is "there are more state deserving bands than slots". Is it time for UIL to change the rules? Especially since state is only every other year?

Very true. Although, from UIL’s point of view I can see why they would keep it the same. The limited spots sparks competitiveness, which in turn sparks great performances, which spark great programs and bands, which brings the excitement and attention on marching band up, as well as the overall quality. But I’m not qualified at all, just playing devils advocate. There are definite pros and cons.

It seems a recurring theme in the Area threads this year is "there are more state deserving bands than slots". Is it time for UIL to change the rules? Especially since state is only every other year?

This happens every year. Tons of great programs everywhere! The 1 to 5 ratio is just fine with me. UIL has expanded the amount of Area Finalists for the areas with the most programs so that helps some. If there were enough slots of EVERY “deserving” program, there would be no need for an Area contest. Part of this activity is rising to the occasion when the lights are on :)

Rooting for Pioneer.

With the way their season is going, and Roma being out (unfortunately) as well as there being 12 finalist bands, Pioneer can very much make state finals this year. And I’m hoping in that they do, because at least one valley band has to make finals to prove that they should not be taken lightly down there.

It seems a recurring theme in the Area threads this year is "there are more state deserving bands than slots".  Is it time for UIL to change the rules?  Especially since state is only every other year?

Thought I remember hearing there was a push to move state to an every year format instead of the every other year format. Also I could be wrong here but also maybe something along the lines of what football does with multiple divisions within conferences. So maybe a possibility of 2 6A State Champs (Div I and Div II - based on school enrollment). 

Now I could be wrong about the 2nd part there, but Im pretty sure the every year thing is being considered at the state level. No decisions, just discussion and it would need to go before the superintendents (executive committee's) of each region for approval.

What would Roma be appealing? I understand they went over the time limit by a significant margin but don’t quite understand what they could use in their appeal

Late to this discussion but I'm sure that is what they were trying to argue, unsuccessfully unfortunately. I'm sure the issue they were trying to argue was that contest started their 5 minute timer before they were staged, or they were not notified by onfield personnel that they were clear to get on the field yet the timer was going already. I've actually seen this happen before and some bands finish scary close to that 8 minutes as a result.

That staff is well seasoned and like everyone I'm sure had practiced numerous times in getting the timing down. Alot of the local contests will also have had a clock running to help bands in getting a UIL run in with timing in as well. That said, I'm sure they had the 8 minute show down and the issue was 100% not for a lack preparation. That band is run by too many good people for that to have the issue. So either there was something that was amiss at the contest (which is what the appeals process is for) or the contest hosts ran things correctly and they had some extraordinary out of the ordinary circumstances that occurred and they used the appeal to try and plead their case (as any director would, can't blame them for trying). 

As I posted in the Area G thread, it could have been a whole possibility of issues. Many bands have a preshow that beigns during the 5 minute set up time (they usually start it around the 1-2 minute mark) and they have it timed to start at a specific moment in that 5 minute time period. But that is reliant upon them staging on the field before the previous band correctly. Are all the props where they are supposed to be? Did the band after them have so many props or equipment it caused a pile up at the gate (this could be something to argue if that was the case)? Did the electronics all get plugged in correctly (which is huge since most preshows utilize electronics)? Were they late coming out of warm up? Maybe a prop broke and they got bogged down trying to fix it? Maybe their mixing board didn't start up correctly that got them bogged down? Who knows, so many things that could have caused them to maybe start that pre show with 1:10 seconds on the clock instead of the 1:30 seconds they had rehearsed. Many bands time that preshow stuff for maximum impact for that 45 second "The next band in Conference..." announcement or big impact chord right at the 8 minute mark so yeh it is crucial that all the pieces are set up correctly during the 5 minutes.  

Either way I wish there was another way to penalize a group instead of in a state year pretty much denying them a shot into the state finals. That seems a bit harsh. I don't know maybe they get docked their highest rating by a single judge, so a band that gets a 211 gets a 221, or in this case a 111 is a 211. They still get penalized, but it doesn't prevent them from advancing to the next round which is a much more severe punishment which seems like a consequence that far outweighs the infraction.

On a separate historical note, it used to be that bands had 10 minutes to perform their show AND exit the field. The problem was that bands were playing 9:30+ shows and then sprinting off the field to beat that clock. UIL changed it to still 10 minutes but broken down into 8 minutes to play and 2 minutes to exit so you didn't have the mad dash to exit the field with 1 second on the clock anymore.