2019 5A State

I didn’t notice anything wrong up until I saw the clock at the end. No clue what happened.

It’s interesting because sharyland went over the time by 3 or 4 seconds as well, but they ended up with a 1 rating

This is completely false. I remember looking at the clock when Sharyland finished and there were 8 seconds left.  I just looked at our video and while you cannot see the timer, the announcer finishes the script at 1:43 on our video and the band finishes at 9:36..

Please don't spread false information.

CLARIFYING STATEMENT:

Roma is appealing the UIL’s decision/rating due to a timing infraction at Region Contest this past weekend. The UIL’s decision will be made later today. All facts/evidence will be reviewed and UIL will reach a decision. Because this is a fluid and sensitive situation, we ask that this conversation be kept civil and professional. Any negative claims without evidence, regardless of program, will be deleted after I finish my lunches. Yes, plural.

Thank you.

Per what I can find on the region contest rules

I'll have to pay more attention next time to see what actually happens.

Here is how it works at our region contest:

1) While the previous band is performing, the contest timer allows the next band to come into the field but they must say behind the back line of the end zone.

2) When the previous band finishes performing and the audience is done clapping, a two minute timer starts on the scoreboard. The contest timer allows the band (and any props / front ensemble etc.) to move up to the goal line.  Note: the two minute timer is for the band leaving the field.  It does not mean the next band's time will start when it expires.  For example if the previous band's show was seven minutes, the two minute timer still begins whenever it is over, so there may be an extra minute before the contest timer gives the next band the go ahead.

3) When the actual time reaches the scheduled start of the next band's five minute setup period, the contest timer announces "_________ high school, you may enter the field!" and the five minute countdown starts on the scoreboard.

4) With :45 left on the scoreboard (five minute clock) the announcer begins the script "The next band to perform in Class 5A is the ______ high school band...." 

5) When the clock hits :00 it immediately starts at 8:00 and at this point the judges begin judging.  (Any preshow that has occurred prior to this point is not supposed to be part of the adjudication.)

6) Whenever the band is finished and after a few seconds of applause, the 2:00 clock begins for the band to get everything off of the field (outside of sidelines and endlines).

7) Repeat for the next band.

We could possibly be looking at 12 bands making State Finals if I'm not mistaken.

If I understand correctly, it seems a near certainty.  The State Marching Band rules just state that they follow the Area Marching Band rules,which state:

(3) 20 Or More Bands. If there are 20 or more bands, the top 10 bands will advance from the preliminary round to the final round. In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the final round. The two marching judges and two of the music judges will change captions. There will be a drum major retreat at the end of the preliminary round to announce the results. Bands not advancing to final round will receive a participant award. At the end of the final round there will be a drum major retreat where each band will receive a finalist award and the names of those bands advancing to the state marching band contest will be announced. Under extenuating circumstances such as severe weather or limited participation, the contest officials in consultation with the State Director of Music may declare the preliminary round to be the final contest.

(4) 30 Or More Bands. If there are 30 or more bands, the top 12 bands will advance from the preliminary round to the final round. In addition, any band below twelfth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the final round. The two marching judges and two of the music judges will change captions. There will be a drum major retreat at the end of the preliminary round to announce the results. Bands not advancing to the final round will receive a participant award. At the end of the final round there will be a drum major retreat where each band will receive a finalist award and the names of those bands advancing to the state marching band contest will be announced. Under extenuating circumstances such as severe weather or limited participation, the contest officials in consultation with the state director of music may declare the preliminary round to be the final contest.

We're at 26 bands already with three regions left to report, and I know Area I alone we are waiting to see if we advance 3 or 4.  So get ready for a 12 band finals round!

If I understand correctly, it seems a near certainty.  The State Marching Band rules just state that they follow the Area Marching Band rules,which state:

(3) 20 Or More Bands. If there are 20 or more bands, the top 10 bands will advance from the preliminary round to the final round. In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the final round. The two marching judges and two of the music judges will change captions. There will be a drum major retreat at the end of the preliminary round to announce the results. Bands not advancing to final round will receive a participant award. At the end of the final round there will be a drum major retreat where each band will receive a finalist award and the names of those bands advancing to the state marching band contest will be announced. Under extenuating circumstances such as severe weather or limited participation, the contest officials in consultation with the State Director of Music may declare the preliminary round to be the final contest.

(4) 30 Or More Bands. If there are 30 or more bands, the top 12 bands will advance from the preliminary round to the final round. In addition, any band below twelfth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the final round. The two marching judges and two of the music judges will change captions. There will be a drum major retreat at the end of the preliminary round to announce the results. Bands not advancing to the final round will receive a participant award. At the end of the final round there will be a drum major retreat where each band will receive a finalist award and the names of those bands advancing to the state marching band contest will be announced. Under extenuating circumstances such as severe weather or limited participation, the contest officials in consultation with the state director of music may declare the preliminary round to be the final contest.

We're at 26 bands already with three regions left to report, and I know Area I alone we are waiting to see if we advance 3 or 4.  So get ready for a 12 band finals round!

There were 35 bands in prelims in 2017, but still only 10 went to finals. Unless the rules have changed since 2017 I think we still need 36 bands in prelims

Wow, that's awesome! But I was wondering, is this a recent change? As tubaboom44 stated, 35 bands participated in prelims at the 2017 5A SMBC but 10 advanced to finals. I checked the results for the 2018 6A SMBC and saw that the rule applied; 41 participated in prelims and 12 advanced to finals. 

I was not aware of the 36 bands rule - I'm sure that is correct!  So if we're at 26, we need ten more.  We are waiting for the results of Region 9 to see if Region I will advance 3 or 4 bands.  I don't know what the potential is for Area D or E so I guess we'll wait to watch the results roll in this evening & tomorrow.