2019 5A State

I'm sorry but you guys are underestimating SA Veterans Memorial. They're a fairly new school having been only opened for 3 years. But this past season they've done some really great stuff. Our numbers are expected to grow a lot this upcoming season and we're basically the underdogs. Plus we've beat some great bands too cause nobody ever sees us coming!

Y’all are doing pretty great. We’ve competed with y’all the last couple seasons at Yamaha cup and Rocket Review. I’m from James Madison, by the way. I don’t know what grade you are in, but I may know some your friends from them moving here. Maybe we might run into each other some time. Good luck this next marching season!

Y’all are doing pretty great. We’ve competed with y’all the last couple seasons at Yamaha cup and Rocket Review. I’m from James Madison, by the way. I don’t know what grade you are in, but I may know some your friends from them moving here. Maybe we might run into each other some time. Good luck this next marching season!

Thanks, I’m currently in 10th grade. But yeah we’ve got good things going on we just could use some funding lol. And we’re only like 5 minutes away from you guys at Madison. Good luck to y’all too.

I'm sorry but you guys are underestimating SA Veterans Memorial. They're a fairly new school having been only opened for 3 years. But this past season they've done some really great stuff. Our numbers are expected to grow a lot this upcoming season and we're basically the underdogs. Plus we've beat some great bands too cause nobody ever sees us coming!

what area are they in

Could Colleyville Heritage possibly be a contender? I havent heard much from them lately but historically have made BOASA finals, and almost made BOA DFW finals in 2015.

Could Colleyville Heritage possibly be a contender? I havent heard much from them lately but historically have made BOASA finals, and almost made BOA DFW finals in 2015.

They've fallen off a bit, but they seem to be getting stronger, winning 3 USBands competitions last season alone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at state, but they're also in a tough area.

They've fallen off a bit, but they seem to be getting stronger, winning 3 USBands competitions last season alone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at state, but they're also in a tough area.

Good to hear. I think they could pull it off with the right show, as richland is now in 6A.

• 1 month later...

I would count on Roma and Sharyland Pioneer from Area G to a least be contenders for finals. The other Sharyland placed well at USBands this past Sat and Pioneer (which I think is stronger). 

Pioneer was 9th in their class at the Super Regional and Roma was 7th in their class and 43rd overall out the 84 bands. They were also both on that 2nd panel. For comparison Rouse was in Panel 1 and placed 27 overall (same class as Pioneer).

Within recent years, the top two band programs within Area G are most certainly Roma and Pioneer.

Although the other Sharyland is a very storied and historic band program, it seems as if they are going through a rebuilding stage and are hoping to make it to their third appearance at state after losing their head director after the 2017-2018 season.

Roma has been a powerhouse within Area G, more specifically in recent years. After missing state finals last time, it is fully expected for them to come back more determined than ever. Expect a very successful season. 

Pioneer is a very interesting program. After receiving a division 2 the first year they opened the school, Pioneer has had a unprecedented rise within the band world. 2 out of 2 state appearances at state to attempts, consistent class champions and finals medalists in BOA, and 5 years later, Pioneer is now aiming to make it 3 for 3. What is easily considered to be the standard for bands and work ethic in Area G, Pioneer is 100% expected to make state and possibly finals. Although, with the embodiment of that initial drive after that initial division 2 is gone with the last bunch of kinds that knew what it was like before their enormous success graduating; it will be interesting to see how a band whose kids only know success with continue building this dynasty of a band. They must continue to maintain that high work ethic and individual accountability they are known for in order to prove once and for all that they are not going anywhere within the band world.

A band that I think has slipped under the radar in Area I for a lot of people is College Station. They had a MASSIVE breakout year in 2018, beating big 5A names in the Houston-area like Willis, Foster, and Magnolia to win the Waller contest. Area I is setup to be an absolute bloodbath this season and I can't wait to see who comes out on top. My money is on College Station, Galena Park, Tomball, and Willis personally with Crosby, Grand Oaks, Magnolia, Montgomery, Port Neches-Groves, and Porter all likely as well. 

Another thing that I haven't seen discussed is the potential for 12 finalists at 5A state. If the number of bands that qualify for state exceed 35, then the expansion will happen. In 2017, there were 35 bands exactly and my projections currently have 36 bands qualifying for state if trends continue. 

A band that I think has slipped under the radar in Area I for a lot of people is College Station. They had a MASSIVE breakout year in 2018, beating big 5A names in the Houston-area like Willis, Foster, and Magnolia to win the Waller contest. Area I is setup to be an absolute bloodbath this season and I can't wait to see who comes out on top. My money is on College Station, Galena Park, Tomball, and Willis personally with Crosby, Grand Oaks, Magnolia, Montgomery, Port Neches-Groves, and Porter all likely as well.

I actually didnt even know College Station was 5a. That being the case, I could see them doing VERY well.

• 4 months later...

Why did I not realize or forget that Cedar Park lost a director? Do you think this had an effect on their disappointing season this year? Or was it just a fluke season?

Turnover will almost always have an effect on an organization. I do not believe that the turnover was the biggest issue that Cedar Park had last season. Their show was a massive show that had issues with music and visual arrangements and getting them to mesh. Only getting judged once for the entire season before BOA was the most difficult issue they had. They got rained out of every BOA that they went to with the exception of Austin. There was no judge's feedback on the show. This meant they started with the exact same show they finished with.

Turnover will almost always have an effect on an organization. I do not believe that the turnover was the biggest issue that Cedar Park had last season. Their show was a massive show that had issues with music and visual arrangements and getting them to mesh. Only getting judged once for the entire season before BOA was the most difficult issue they had. They got rained out of every BOA that they went to with the exception of Austin. There was no judge's feedback on the show. This meant they started with the exact same show they finished with.

great explanation and those were things I hadn't thought of.  Not that I remember posting my original comment back in November.   :lol:

Cedar Park is one of the bands I am MOST excited to see on Saturday.  I think we're looking at another 5A state championship for the Timberwolves.  

We are also seeing the sudden change of design from the past few years to this year because of another staff change in the color guard. Sullivan had a huge say in what we saw from Cedar Park the past decade.

Interesting! For the better, you think? Or just different.

Different. The guard right now is using a lot of the same visual techniques founded at CP by Sullivan/Wessels but is still under the overall guidance of Wessels, AD Mr. Yee, and the new staff on guard. Some of the technique approaches are changed but for this season still carry the fingerprints of Mr. Sullivan.

• 2 weeks later...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OYWoq0Sy186KraWX39QbQhpc3ulglnd1xfMR3opsFOw/edit?usp=sharing

Spreadsheet with every single 5A band in the state in their region, and area, with markings for bands with past achievements or have recently changed conferences. I still need to highlight all the Area Finalists, but other than that, it should be complete, let me know if I missed anything!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OYWoq0Sy186KraWX39QbQhpc3ulglnd1xfMR3opsFOw/edit?usp=sharing

Spreadsheet with every single 5A band in the state in their region, and area, with markings for bands with past achievements or have recently changed conferences. I still need to highlight all the Area Finalists, but other than that, it should be complete, let me know if I missed anything!

Wow, THANKS for doing this!! That's quite an undertaking.

For Area I, you are missing Beaumont United.  Here's a link to the Area I Draw Order:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/59e8cd43-c3cb-442a-913b-e742220c84a5/downloads/2019%20Area%20I%205A%20Draw%20Order.pdf?ver=1568990152650

Wow, THANKS for doing this!! That's quite an undertaking.

For Area I, you are missing Beaumont United. Here's a link to the Area I Draw Order:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/59e8cd43-c3cb-442a-913b-e742220c84a5/downloads/2019%20Area%20I%205A%20Draw%20Order.pdf?ver=1568990152650

I’ll check when I get to my computer, but I think United is entered as a Non-Varsity group, I didn’t enter those groups since they can’t advance to area. Also I could’ve sworn they started as 6A this alignment, but I guess either I was wrong or something changed