Time for some history booking!

• For the entire history of the Area, the same four bands have advanced to the State Marching Contest. Yes, I know there have only been two such competitions.
  • The bad judge rule is rare, but not too rare. It was used in 6A last cycle in Area A, to advance four instead of three bands.
  • Congratulations to Vista Ridge for their second Area win! Their first was in 2013, where they also won prelims, beating Vandegrift and Leander. What a FANTASTIC season for them!
  • Westlake will make its next appearance at the state marching contest. They seem to work on a pattern. State, but no finals 04/14, miss completely 06/16, and state finals in 08 and...

I believe for a few cycles, there was also a trend of the 2nd or 3rd place band in this area going on to take the state title. CP 11, Vandegrift 13, CP 15, if memory serves right. This precedes the change to 6A classification, but still interesting nonetheless!*

*I also realize Cedar Park was not at this contest today

I believe for a few cycles, there was also a trend of the 2nd or 3rd place band in this area going on to take on the state title. CP 11, Vandegrift 13, CP 15, if memory serves right. This precedes the change to 6A classification, but still interesting nonetheless!*

*I also realize Cedar Park was not at this contest today

CP actually nabbed the Championship in 2011 - quite easily I might add - after BARELY advancing. They were 7th in prelims and 4th in finals, taking the last spot.

You never know how things will end up!

Wow Westlake! Really did not see that coming... excited for state

They've kinda fallen off the BOA scene, but they play and march very well. I think some new direction design wise could help them return to being consistent regional finalists. I had a feeling they would pull off an upset tonight.

This is lovingly called the Bad Judge Rule:

In addition, in contests advancing three or more bands, any band that receives a ranking of three or higher from two music judges and one marching judge shall also advance to the state contest.

Wow.  What are the chances of that?  It's as if it was planned that way huh?  Amazing...