Unexpectedly, it was the music that knocked CTJ into third in finals, despite the fact that they swept 1st place in music in prelims.

What's up with the one judge that scored everyone in the 700s?

I am not surprised CTJ had one judge rate them 6th in Music. They are an acquired taste in music, and my views of them have tended to feel that their music was not their strongest point. They will score much higher at BOA. To many other strong musical groups for them to win it all in UIL 6A

Reagan was amazing.  What a beautifully executed show with very little in the way of crap on the field.  That is the standard that every band should live up to.

Did the judges just change what they were judging?  Meaning the music judges switched to marching?

Yes, two of the music judges switched with the marching judges.

it would appear that Judge 5 in prelims became Judge 3 in Finals - while all other judges started with a top score of 1000 - he/she appears to have started with a top score of 800

To my knowledge, the score is irrelevent.  As long as the judge has the bands in the order that they wish, the scores could be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 20, 21, 100, 1000.  There is no difference.

To my knowledge, the score is irrelevent.  As long as the judge has the bands in the order that they wish, the scores could be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 20, 21, 100, 1000.  There is no difference.

correct - that is what I think is the error in scoring process. we see in other competitions that you can outscore in one area in the composite. but that is just the way that UIL does it. I think it needs some serious updating

Theoretically the scores have subscores based on individual elements of their performance, and ought to be scaled equally within a single judge. So to an extent, the scores should matter. I understand what you mean that the scale doesnt matter, but there are huge issues to the way this works. If they do it the way you said, they would be going more off of General impression and less on jydging every aspsct of the band's ability equally and fairly.