I'm curious to see where CTJ ends up at this contest. Their visual program is very difficult, and it showed early in the season. BOA didn't care so much, but I'm wondering if UIL will. I'm sure they're cleaner now, but they started off at a disadvantage, I think. Does anybody have the prelims placements?

I'm curious to see where CTJ ends up at this contest. Their visual program is very difficult, and it showed early in the season. BOA didn't care so much, but I'm wondering if UIL will. I'm sure they're cleaner now, but they started off at a disadvantage, I think. Does anybody have the prelims placements?

I think they'll be fine. It's not anywhere near as dirty as 2016, and they play very well. I'd be very shocked if they didn't advance.

I have a feeling that the top two are extremely close.  Maybe someone swept Music.  Maybe a different program swept Marching.  I don't know.  I'm just a fool.

My fear isn't that they won't advance. It's that they might get kicked down a spot or 2 by groups that you wouldn't expect to beat them. But, looking at the list of competing bands, I can't imagine any group other than maybe James Bowie doing that.

Then they get beat by those groups. It's about winning the war, not the battle. And the war in this case is state. CTJ understands that and will continue cleaning.

Then they get beat by those groups. It's about winning the war, not the battle. And the war in this case is state. CTJ understands that and will continue cleaning.

Oh, of course, but these events can be bellwethers. Well, actually, now that I think about it, UIL Area events are pretty weak bellwethers, to say the least.

Exactly advancing at this point is the main goal tonight, live to fight another day because the likely chance CTJ misses finals at state is slim to none. For groups like Hendrickson and Cedar Ridge, the goal is to make it in that top 6 if they win great but every band kid is hoping to play at state. 

Can someone tell me how a band is allowed to warm up on the field?

Yeah, from the announcer script on the UIL website:

NOTE TO DIRECTORS: The 8-minute clock will begin when the full 5-minute clock
expires. Warm-up or pre-show is permitted during the 5-minute set-up time; however,

judges will be instructed to not begin their evaluation until the 8-minute clock shows 7:59.

If you do not wish to utilize the entire 5-minutes of set-up you may hold your band at the

field entrance to coordinate your ready time with the beginning of the announcement.