BOA Dallas/Ft Worth

At the 1999 UIL 4A State Marching Contest Keller had the second timeslot of the day. I believe it was 7:15 AM and they knocked it out of the park finishing 1st in Prelims. When the Finals results were announced it had come down to Keller and Coppell, who had been 7th in Prelims. If you watch the video you can see Coppell's Drum Major start to step forward to receive the 2nd place award only to realize that the announcer had said Keller. The ultimate irony of the day was Coppell had won with drill written by Keller's director.

As you can imagine, he no longer writes drill for bands Keller will face in competition.

(The BOA classification error I mentioned previously happened in 1998. Not 1999 as originally posted. My apologies, my kids are really spread out so I've been doing this a very long time. All those years baking my brain in the sun at band competitions seems to be catching up with me.)

I can’t believe Marcus isn’t going. Played Waxahachie in football and I was impressed. A fanfare opening that sounds extremely difficult to play. Marching could be cleaner. FloMo looks amazing and Hebron is Hebron. I’d like to see Cedar Park.

Do you know what theirs shows are about?

Tons of eyes are on Prosper and Keller and Cedar Park after today's competitions, but one other important tidbit: Union just got 3rd at a show scored on BOA-ish sheets behind two in-state rivals that I don't think have ever beat Union. This season is off to quite the wild start!

wowww. hard to say what that means, bixby and jenks are excellent programs- underrated, I think-  though both of them topping union on the same day is alarming

WATCH OUT. Prosper was scary good at HEB today. They have a shot at Top 5 BOA DFW

What?!? They finished third at HEB. They have certainly improved and are part of the conversation now but let's not forget there was an audible reaction of disbelief from most of the crowd when Preliminary results were announced. Prosper's first place Prelims finish likely was influenced by their last performance slot while Keller and Marcus were much earlier in the day. When Prosper faced them head to head in Finals they didn't fair as well. Do you really think there are only two more bands competing at BOA DFW that can beat Prosper? Please check the list again. There are more bands then that who have regularly beaten Marcus and Keller. While we can all appreciate your enthusiasm for your band and the improvement they have made, Top Five at BOA DFW doesn't seem realistic.

Edit: I seems likely your prediction is fueled, at least in part, by celebration. My comment was meant to be just a light shower on your parade, not a heavy downpour with thunder and lightning. I look forward to seeing Prosper again and welcome to the big stage. Sometimes the lights can get a little hot but it's usually unintended.

Marcus’s show is Renaissance- renewal/rebirth. Fitting, right?

And they had a reason to go to BOA Waco this year. They just really wanted to go to Mesquite’s contest this week and it conflicted with BOA DFW.

Hmm, I'm guessing "they" means the new Director, not necessarily the band kids and parents. Just a thought considering the Director's history versus the history of the Marcus band program. I hope I'm wrong.

What?!? They finished third at HEB. They have certainly improved and are part of the conversation now but let's not forget there was an audible reaction of disbelief from most of the crowd when Preliminary results were announced. Prosper's first place Prelims finish likely was influenced by their last performance slot while Keller and Marcus were much earlier in the day. When Prosper faced them head to head in Finals they didn't fair as well. Do you really think there are only two more bands competing at BOA DFW that can beat Prosper? Please check the list again. There are more bands then that who have regularly beaten Marcus and Keller. While we can all appreciate your enthusiasm for your band and the improvement they have made, Top Five at BOA DFW doesn't seem realistic.

Top two: Hebron and FloMo

Next two: Keller and CP

Prosper’s major threat for 5th place are Bell or Union, both of which have shown some weakness. It’s definitely not a lock, but it’s not unprecedented.

Kinda aggressive

Kinda aggressive

Fair enough. I realized that and was coming back to edit my comment now that I have recovered from the shock at the hubris required to make that prediction. Instead of editing there I will expand on the comment here.

This forum is enjoyable because it is supportive and encouraging to all programs and discourages overly critical comments. On the other hand, I think it can sometime be a bit too tolerant of overly positive hype and predictions. I think the early hype regarding Halton, primarily from people clearly connected to the program, headed into the HEB contest reached the point of unenjoyable ridiculousness before anyone stepped in and asked them to tone it down. Admittedly they did it more gracefully and I will do better next time. This prediction seemed like the same thing getting started with Prosper so I said something. In keeping with the spirit of this forum I should have been less abrupt.

Marcus will not be attending BOA DFW so that does leave another spot for Prosper. The judges scores for the HEB contest look more like a friendly debate in a bar than any firm consensus. There are no real outliers and there could be a few mildly inflated opinions based on reputation rather than actual performance but nothing that reaches the point of being offensive or can't be defended and explained as a difference of opinion. Judging is still subjective. It remains to be seen how the next set views the contestants at BOA DFW.

HEB was one early contest. Nobody is predicting Keller will now win BOA DFW based on HEB. Making the Top Five at this next contest is a huge challenge. Maybe Prosper makes it. But I'd like to think the etiquette of this forum dictates that unusual prediction originates outside their own Band Boosters.