BOA Dallas/Ft Worth

It was a cool experience to get to hear an individual player. However, even though it wasnt the fault of anyone in the band or even the band itself, it cant be denied that the performance was less enjoyable because of it. What I have to say doesnt matter, but I think we shouldnt be giving scores based on what it would have sounded like. We talk about how the microphones can add to the quality of a performance and that makes scores higher. Likewise, if people decide to use those microphones in their design, I think they should simply be taking the risk that if things go wrong they have to deal with it and make it the best. Hebron sounded good enough even with the issue that they probably still would have been in 2nd going into finals, and definitely wouldnt have fallen out of the top 5 in prelims, but I think their music GE and music ensemble scores should have been impacted a little bit.

It was a cool experience to get to hear an individual player. However, even though it wasnt the fault of anyone in the band or even the band itself, it cant be denied that the performance was less enjoyable because of it. What I have to say doesnt matter, but I think we shouldnt be giving scores based on what it would have sounded like. We talk about how the microphones can add to the quality of a performance and that makes scores higher. Likewise, if people decide to use those microphones in their design, I think they should simply be taking the risk that if things go wrong they have to deal with it and make it the best. Hebron sounded good enough even with the issue that they probably still would have been in 2nd going into finals, and definitely wouldnt have fallen out of the top 5 in prelims, but I think their music GE and music ensemble scores should have been impacted a little bit.

This hits an interesting point that I’ve seen discussed with multiple shows. Something like mics can be used to increase GE, but micing issues may not be incorporated into score sheets. Or how props can be used to increase GE without their coordination being judged.

I think the bottom line is that many of us were feeling disappointed and unsatisfied after DFW last night. At least I know I was. I was disappointed in Hebron’s performance due to the mic issue that was so distracting so I was really looking forward to a second chance at seeing them again. I was unsatisfied with the lack of finals, which obviously could NOT be helped. And I was disappointed for Coppell, who I was really expecting to make finals (and they would have if not for the one ME judge who evidently saw things differently than most of the rest of us). Mostly I was disappointed for the band kids because I know that they were anxious to perform again in finals. There are several bands, like Hebron and Cedar Park, who have a tendency to be stronger in finals performances, and I was looking forward to a little shake up at the end of the night.

It’s over and done with now and we can’t change any of it. Time to move forward!

An excellent summary of what many were feeling and that's no surprise since LeanderMomma runs with a top tier program. I'm happy to see the conversation is headed in a more positive direction today.

It's also interesting that Coppell and Keller Central, who seem to be receiving the most sympathy for missing Finals, are the bands that fit the +/- 2 expectation I proposed. They finished 11th and 12th.

...even though it wasnt the fault of anyone in the band or even the band itself...

That's a bridge too far for me. Problems/accidents boil down to cause and effect. While clearly not the students fault, this was a design choice made by the band staff and no other band had the problem all day. No doubt Hebron's outstanding staff learned from the experience.

...I think we shouldnt be giving scores based on what it would have sounded like. We talk about how the microphones can add to the quality of a performance and that makes scores higher. Likewise, if people decide to use those microphones in their design, I think they should simply be taking the risk that if things go wrong they have to deal with it and make it the best.

This sounds much more reasonable and accurate to me. The staff made the design decision but also instilled the extraordinary discipline in this group to press on in a highly distracting situation.

That's a bridge too far for me. Problems/accidents boil down to cause and effect. While clearly not the students fault, this was a design choice made by the band staff and no other band had the problem all day. No doubt Hebron's outstanding staff learned from the experience.

This sounds much more reasonable and accurate to me. The staff made the design decision but also instilled the extraordinary discipline in this group to press on in a highly distracting situation.

It was actually an issue with Pennington field themselves who were supposed to check all of the frequencies of the radio systems to make sure they didn’t interfere. There was 0 way Hebron could have known that the two frequencies would have been exactly the same. Hebron did make the choice to have it on that frequency but there’s no way they could’ve known. But i agree, Props to the students for being able to push through tough and major props to the staff for teaching those skills.

It was actually an issue with Pennington field themselves who were supposed to check all of the frequencies of the radio systems to make sure they didn’t interfere. There was 0 way Hebron could have known that the two frequencies would have been exactly the same. Hebron did make the choice to have it on that frequency but there’s no way they could’ve known. But i agree, Props to the students for being able to push through tough and major props to the staff for teaching those skills.

I disagree. The responsibility to be sure they are on a clear channel falls on Hebron. The stadium PA is not the only thing that can interfere. And Hebron absolutely has a way to know. Simply do a microphone level test during setup as many bands do. The problem would have been immediately apparent and given time to switch channels or turn off the stadium equipment.

This is not the first time something like this has happened at a BOA event. In fact, just last year at the Clarksville Regional, this happened to Franklin (TN) and a saxophone soloist.

I know at DCI events, corps are given a list of acceptable and unacceptable frequencies to use, and they work with each corps to coordinate frequencies so that corps don't overlap and risk messing up other corps performances while say doing a mic check out in the parking lot. I'm not sure how much, if any of that BOA does, especially at regionals. I would imagine they have to do some sort of frequency coordination at supers and grand nats, but I'm not sure.

I'll just say there's a reason that every year, you see Broken Arrow bring out their sound cart and check all their wireless mics during a break in St. Louis before they perform.

I'll just say there's a reason that every year, you see Broken Arrow bring out their sound cart and check all their wireless mics during a break in St. Louis before they perform.

Bring out your dead.

Ha, I’m not sure why your comment made me think of that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Seriously though, will there eventually be crazy issues with the extensive use of wireless mics in the future? Will we hear one band’s outside rehearsal coming in over another band’s performance? Will Dan Potter’s conversation with his buddy sitting next to him accidentally be broadcast to the whole stadium over a show? Will Daniel Valdez’s pizza delivery order be on the PA system while....oh never mind. I’m getting distracted. :D Things like this are why I couldn’t concentrate during Hebron’s performance on Saturday. SQUIRREL.

Bring out your dead.

Ha, I’m not sure why your comment made me think of that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Seriously though, will there eventually be crazy issues with the extensive use of wireless mics in the future? Will we hear one band’s outside rehearsal coming in over another band’s performance? Will Dan Potter’s conversation with his buddy sitting next to him accidentally be broadcast to the whole stadium over a show? Will Daniel Valdez’s pizza delivery order be on the PA system while....oh never mind. I’m getting distracted. :D Things like this are why I couldn’t concentrate during Hebron’s performance on Saturday. SQUIRREL.

My goodness, you are a hoot. Your Monty python quote had me in stitches

I disagree. The responsibility to be sure they are on a clear channel falls on Hebron. The stadium PA is not the only thing that can interfere. And Hebron absolutely has a way to know. Simply do a microphone level test during setup as many bands do. The problem would have been immediately apparent and given time to switch channels or turn off the stadium equipment.

That’s true, a mic check definitely would’ve alleviated those issues.

One possible explanation is that Prosper needed to add about 2+ minutes to their show. It seemed like what they added was a more mellow transition perhaps leading into a ballad section. That's just a guess but without the ballad to complete this section it may not have been judged as being as strong, finished, polished, (pick your own adjective) as the earlier section we saw last week. This can happen with partial shows and I expect Prosper will do well as the season and their show develops.

Comparisons between contests using the same scoring system are difficult enough and HEB was an hybrid scoring system. For example, Marcus finished 0.1 point behind Keller but HornRank found a way to fit five bands between them in the Top 30 list following HEB.

How many decimal places are you guys using in those algorithms? :-D

Regardless what anyone thinks of prosper we made history first time ever making it in boa. I know many don't like are show or performance. The kids are working there butt off to make it! I'm proud of the band. Yes they have a lot of work to clean some thing up. But I have watch this band grow from july.. I know there are many band that are absolutely amazing. Sad about the canceling and disagree with some of the judging points. But that's there job. All we should do is support and watch each band grow.

Bring out your dead.

During GN 2014 semi-finals, Dan's conversation with his buddy sitting next to him was accidentally broadcast, well the very start of it, when Flower Mound announced.  Right after he finished the announcement he said something like "Ohh, I really like this one... what?... huh?...oops..."

During GN 2014 semi-finals, Dan's conversation with his buddy sitting next to him was accidentally broadcast, well the very start of it, when Flower Mound announced. Right after he finished the announcement he said something like "Ohh, I really like this one... what?... huh?...oops..."

Oh how funny. I don’t remember that!

Regardless what anyone thinks of prosper we made history first time ever making it in boa. I know many don't like are show or performance. The kids are working there butt off to make it! I'm proud of the band. Yes they have a lot of work to clean some thing up. But I have watch this band grow from july.. I know there are many band that are absolutely amazing. Sad about the canceling and disagree with some of the judging points. But that's there job. All we should do is support and watch each band grow. PS. Not here to debate just adding my thoughts..

I hope you didn't think my comment was derogatory or I don't like Prosper's show. Quite the opposite. Someone asked so I was just offering a possible explanation for the difference between some expectations after HEB and their placement at BOA/DFW. I want to see and hear where this is going. If it helps ease your concerns, Prosper actually reminds me of Cedar Park.

Marcus is going to the Mesquite Contest on the 6th. If the new director is from the Mesquite ISD he may be trying to show his old school his new Band. He also may not be as enamored of BOA as previous folks are. Mesquite ISD does not send a lot of Bands to BOA Events.The play in the evening and there are no prelims. They will probably win the event.

They just posted results from the Mesquite Contest today(only took 9 days) and Marcus cleaned up in the awards. Their Ordinal score was. 2.60 Second Place was  Forney at 6:30 with Rockwell at 3rd with an 8.80 Ordinals Score.  Really was not much of a contest for Marcus.