BOA Dallas/Ft Worth

New band director of Marcus is from North Mesquite.  They've had good bands, but I haven't ever seen North Mesquite at a BOA event.  Not sure if that might be a contributing factor but at the very least it seems evident that BOA is not real important to the new director.

Marcus is going to the Mesquite Contest on the 6th. If the new director is from the Mesquite ISD he may be trying to show his old school his new Band. He also may not be as enamored of BOA as previous folks are. Mesquite ISD does not send a lot of Bands to BOA Events.The play in the evening and there are no prelims. They will probably win the event.

He also may not be as enamored of BOA as previous folks are.

This thought occurred to me early on but then I realized it's hard to imagine LISD would hire a Director who didn't highly value the BOA experience. Perhaps he left MISD because they rarely participate. Either way, it has been reported from inside the program that the schedule was set before he was hired.

I have to be honest that I was not a fan of Coppell's “Haute Couture” last year at all.  I have not seen their show yet this year, though like others said I am sure it's out there.  

I'm not ready to put Duncanville in the top 10.  I think I'd prefer to see how they do this year and hope for a finals placement next year.  

Union....I'm not quick to add them to the finals.  I think they may fall short unless they have  cleaned the program up a good bit.  Sloppy won't make the cut, so I hope they have worked out the kinks.  

LD Bell.....I loved their show earlier in the season but now the full show fell flat for me.  I do not like the big blockers in the front, even though I know that has been a positive for them in the past.  The color guard on them was not only distracting and loud but also they had a near miss where one seemed not locked in well that left me wanting them to just get down.  Love the bagpipes, but it was such a huge part at the beginning.  Loved it but then it seemed to fall a bit flat after that.  I would have liked to have seen it throughout rather than such a focus and then almost nonexistent.  I'm probably in the minority, and my opinion is just that....my opinion.  I'm far from a judge.

I don't think Keller Central or Wylie will make the finals.  Again...I could be wrong.  I just think that Prosper, Waxahachie and Wakeland will be take those spots.  

My predictions:

1. Keller

2. FloMo

3. Hebron

4. Cedar Park

5. Timber Creek

6. Prosper

7. LD Bell

8. Coppell

9. Wakeland

10. Waxahachie

As a prosper band mom... I'm just gonna say. This. Those kids work hard. And it doesn't matter the placement what matters is we as parents support THE KIDS*

Don't discredit prosper we have come a long way and they have put there heart and soul. And don't worry everyone might be surprised.. Weareprosper!

I support every single kid who is going to preform sat. Doesn't matter if I'm a "prosper" band mom or not what matters is kids read these comments and some comment tend to make them feel less then supportive.. Good luck to all the band.

As a prosper band mom... I'm just gonna say. This. Those kids work hard. And it doesn't matter the placement what matters is we as parents support THE KIDS*

Don't discredit prosper we have come a long way and they have put there heart and soul. And don't worry everyone might be surprised.. Weareprosper!

I support every single kid who is going to preform sat. Doesn't matter if I'm a "prosper" band mom or not what matters is kids read these comments and some comment tend to make them feel less then supportive.. Good luck to all the band.

As much as I understand this point of view, the kids of this marching band generation, at least those that are apart of competitive bands, dont really care much about support as they do final appearances now. Kids are looking forward top 5’s at competition more than just having fun. Not saying fun doesnt come along the way but the kids know if theyre doing good or bad

As much as I understand this point of view, the kids of this marching band generation, at least those that are apart of competitive bands, dont really care much about support as they do final appearances now. Kids are looking forward top 5’s at competition more than just having fun. Not saying fun doesnt come along the way but the kids know if theyre doing good or bad

I’d have to disagree. Most band programs that are very successful teach their kids not to care about results. Obviously it is impossible to completely disregard them but most students actually buy into it. They truly care about the things that are more important in the long run.

Let's remember that no matter the results (as nothing is ever guaranteed), the PROCESS is what is important. Their amazing efforts are to be commended as top notch, regardless of placement. That's what our kids are taught!! And they thrive from support!!

Agree!  Despite the actions of some of their fans on this forum, I know that the directors at Keller preach the same message.  

I'm not so sure those people are actually associated with Keller.

Ive never personally been a part of the band program there, but I do know also that the directors are particular about this as many of my close friends were in band leadership. I remember going to a competition once and I was sitting with the band while they waited for prelim results. The head director came and announced that they were barely in second place. (It was behind Marcus and this was back during their dominance) Everyone got all excited and wanted to know how close they were, etc. The director then told them that he wasnt concerned with comparing them but that they were there at the competition to specifically test their implementation of certain aspects they had been working on. He gave them a number of points but I dont remember exactly what they were and I probably didnt understand them quite as well back then anyways. In the end, they lost to Marcus by a larger point differential than at prelims but everyone was happy because they were finally able to successfully run through a part of their show they had been working on and that was their goal in the competition. I remember coming away from that with a new perspective on the purpose of these competitions.

Right after HEB I made a comment that was viewed as being a bit harsh. I've already explained that my inappropriate harshness was actually directed at the person making the comment I was responding to and not at the kids in the Prosper Band. So here are a few follow-up thoughts.

I think what I said was fairly reasonable. (How I said it was the problem.) HornRank has Prosper finishing 6th. Breaking into the Top 5 at this contest is historically very difficult and some very good bands will be left out of Finals.

I avoid making predictions but because of my earlier comment I will say I think Prosper will be in Finals. How far up the list depends on how much more of their show was already "close to ready" last Saturday. They need to add 2+ minutes this week. Are they learning or cleaning that part of the show this week? It's a big difference.

Remember, all these bands have worked their tails off and "put their heart and soul" into their shows.

Providing support should mean teaching kids to aim high but also to be prepared to sometimes fall short. Kids can grow tremendously from the occasional disappointment, but always being pumped full of sunshine is demoralizing and counterproductive in the long run. When a band is improving quickly the kids and parents can sometimes get locked into an incestuous amplification feedback loop and forget that each additional step up the ladder is much more difficult than the previous step. You can see this in the before and after comments about Haltom at HEB and predictions for Area B. Outside feedback can be helpful.

HornRank's 6th place Finals prediction seems like an informed over/under bet. Higher would be wonderful while under would still be an accomplishment. If you let the judges (or the forums) define you there will be many more bad days than necessary.

Aim high or you'll never get there, keeping in mind reality is a fickle mistress. Judging is reasonably consistent but it is fairly subjective too.

Good luck, I think you will do well.

The National Weather Service forecast below is pretty much in agreement - hope that this is no worse than what happened at Austin last week.

Saturday: A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 86. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.

Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. South southeast wind around 10 mph.