2018 6A State

• 1 month later...

I'm bored and want to be bold. Let's rile some people up, baby!

-Marcus is exiled from medaling after their historic 10-year run

-Top 3 is compromised of Vandegrift, Hebron, CTJ

-In terms of music performance, Vandegrift ascends into the ranks of Hebron to form a co-league of their own (have you seen that pre-season video of Vandy? jesus.)

-CTJ's 2017 success, accredited to their pre-season learning of the show, ushers in a return to a trend of more difficult/complex shows that are not only able to do well at both BOA and UIL, but ARE executed incredibly well (finally laying to rest for good the enduring 'UIL vs. BOA show!!!!!' gripes & grievances*)

-No new finalists, although former finalists who have recently missed it will return

-I attempt to fill in the hole produced by the absence of Rubisco, but miserably fail

*as if

I'm bored and want to be bold. Let's rile some people up, baby!

-Marcus is exiled from medaling after their historic 10-year run

-Top 3 is compromised of Vandegrift, Hebron, CTJ

-In terms of music performance, Vandegrift ascends into the ranks of Hebron to form a co-league of their own (have you seen that pre-season video of Vandy? jesus.)

-CTJ's 2017 success, accredited to their pre-season learning of the show, ushers in a return to a trend of more difficult/complex shows that are not only able to do well at both BOA and UIL, but ARE executed incredibly well (finally laying to rest for good the enduring 'UIL vs. BOA show!!!!!' gripes & grievances*)

-No new finalists, although former finalists who have recently missed it will return

-I attempt to fill in the hole produced by the absence of Rubisco, but miserably fail

*as if

well said - I agree 100%

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at Area C.  When I look at the whole area, I realize that I don't know much outside of the big BOA schools.  Here is the list, by Region:

C - Regions 2, 3, 4, 21, 25
6A    Lewisville HS * (Moving up in the past couple years)
6A    Flower Mound HS *
6A    Hebron HS *
6A    Marcus HS *
6A    Nelson HS (Should be a good band, they are located on the FloMo/Marcus border)
6A    Eaton HS
6A    Guyer HS (They just moved up to 6A, I don't know how they did in 5A)

Region 3 High Schools
6A    Mesquite HS
6A    North Mesquite HS *
6A    Horn HS
6A    Lake Highlands HS
6A    Richardson HS *
6A    Berkner HS
6A    Pearce HS *
6A    Sachse HS *
6A    North Garland HS
6A    Rowlett HS *
6A    Garland HS
6A    Lakeview Centennial HS
6A    South Garland HS
6A    Naaman Forest HS

Region 21 High Schools
6A    Longview HS
6A    Lee HS *
6A    Tyler Early College HS *

Region 25 High Schools
6A    Allen HS *
6A    McKinney HS *
6A    McKinney Boyd HS *
6A    Rockwall HS
6A    Rockwall-Heath HS
6A    Wylie HS

The ones marked with an asterisk (*) are the ones I think may qualify at Regions (I don't know about many of these bands).  It looks like only five will move on from this (I've marked those in bold)  

I would put Wylie at #1 in thier region.  They smoked Mckinney Boyd in Duncanville last year, Mckinney HS is a little behind Boyd but similar, both are upcoming bands but Wylie is already there.  I don't get the Allen advancing either, basically just a bunch of kids on the field, I love the fact that they have 800 kids interested in band but it doesn't exactly make for precision marching.  Btw, that's just from impartial observation, I live in Frisco Centennial's district, too bad they are not in 6a in that region btw, because Centennial would most likely be 2nd.

Now getting out of area, I would put Wylie at 4th.  The Lewisville ISD schools will continue to  take the top three spots, can't wait to see Hebron's drill this year.

I would put Wylie at #1 in thier region. They smoked Mckinney Boyd in Duncanville last year, Mckinney HS is a little behind Boyd but similar, both are upcoming bands but Wylie is already there. I don't get the Allen advancing either, basically just a bunch of kids on the field, I love the fact that they have 800 kids interested in band but it doesn't exactly make for precision marching. Btw, that's just from impartial observation, I live in Frisco Centennial's district, too bad they are not in 6a in that region btw, because Centennial would most likely be 2nd.

Now getting out of area, I would put Wylie at 4th. The Lewisville ISD schools will continue to take the top three spots, can't wait to see Hebron's drill this year.

I can’t wait to see Hebron this year too I want them to get a state championship

I see state going down to Hebron, CTJ and possibly Vandegrift without seeing shows of course.  If Flower Mound is more consistent this year they will be in the mix, never seemed to hit their stride last year.

Marcus has a new director, not sure how much will change.  Their show last year would've bombed at UIL, but Marcus usually tweaks for UIL years.

Then of course Leander, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Reagan, North Shore and The Woodlands.

I think Prosper is on the verge of doing something big, they still seem a couple of years away from finals level competition.

Yes, I know I'm forgetting a couple more Austin area schools maybe Bowie and Hendricks that could be in the mix as well.  

I see state going down to Hebron, CTJ and possibly Vandegrift without seeing shows of course. If Flower Mound is more consistent this year they will be in the mix, never seemed to hit their stride last year.

Marcus has a new director, not sure how much will change. Their show last year would've bombed at UIL, but Marcus usually tweaks for UIL years.

Then of course Leander, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Reagan, North Shore and The Woodlands.

I think Prosper is on the verge of doing something big, they still seem a couple of years away from finals level competition.

Yes, I know I'm forgetting a couple more Austin area schools maybe Bowie and Hendricks that could be in the mix as well.

so no one from area B?

I see state going down to Hebron, CTJ and possibly Vandegrift without seeing shows of course.  If Flower Mound is more consistent this year they will be in the mix, never seemed to hit their stride last year.

Marcus has a new director, not sure how much will change.  Their show last year would've bombed at UIL, but Marcus usually tweaks for UIL years.

I wouldn't see CTJ at the top 3 because their style is more BOA than UIL. It would most likely be Hebron, Vandegrift, and Flower Mound this year or the Lewisville ISD trio (including Marcus with Hebron and FloMo). CTJ might rank 4th-7th depending if the show is written to rank high in BOA or UIL but their shows are more design for BOA. The Lewisville ISD trio have shows that both do well in BOA and UIL. However, I believe Vandegrift might break the Lewisville ISD trio this year for State.

I wouldn't see CTJ at the top 3 because their style is more BOA than UIL. It would most likely be Hebron, Vandegrift, and Flower Mound this year or the Lewisville ISD trio (including Marcus with Hebron and FloMo). CTJ might rank 4th-7th depending if the show is written to rank high in BOA or UIL but their shows are more design for BOA. The Lewisville ISD trio have shows that both do well in BOA and UIL. However, I believe Vandegrift might break the Lewisville ISD trio this year for State.

I disagree - 2014 CTJ took BOA SA Gold and a UIL bronze. i believe the point was tossed out earlier that if more programs try to get their shows completed early in the season and spend their time polishing the program they can be successful in UIL and BOA.

it appears to me (just my thoughts) that what impacts the scoring in UIL for BOA focused programs is in the drill/marching - if the drill is done early and there is time to polish that drill I think we could see some medals cross over this year - time will tell

Looking at Area C.  When I look at the whole area, I realize that I don't know much outside of the big BOA schools.  Here is the list, by Region:

C - Regions 2, 3, 4, 21, 25
6A    Lewisville HS * (Moving up in the past couple years)
6A    Flower Mound HS *
6A    Hebron HS *
6A    Marcus HS *
6A    Nelson HS (Should be a good band, they are located on the FloMo/Marcus border)
6A    Eaton HS
6A    Guyer HS (They just moved up to 6A, I don't know how they did in 5A)

Region 3 High Schools
6A    Mesquite HS
6A    North Mesquite HS *
6A    Horn HS
6A    Lake Highlands HS
6A    Richardson HS *
6A    Berkner HS
6A    Pearce HS *
6A    Sachse HS *
6A    North Garland HS
6A    Rowlett HS *
6A    Garland HS
6A    Lakeview Centennial HS
6A    South Garland HS
6A    Naaman Forest HS

Region 21 High Schools
6A    Longview HS
6A    Lee HS *
6A    Tyler Early College HS *

Region 25 High Schools
6A    Allen HS *
6A    McKinney HS *
6A    McKinney Boyd HS *
6A    Rockwall HS
6A    Rockwall-Heath HS
6A    Wylie HS

The ones marked with an asterisk (*) are the ones I think may qualify at Regions (I don't know about many of these bands).  It looks like only five will move on from this (I've marked those in bold)  

Actually when you did not asterisk Longview in the Region 21 list, you made an error. This Band is a military Style Band which does not choose to enter UIL Area Contests. However, they have for 68 consecutive years received 1st Division Ratings at Region Marching Contest. They are a good military Band, that does not choose to compete other than at UIL. It is my opinion that they will make this 69 years of 1st Division Ratings at Region Marching Contest. By the way, they are far superior musically than either of the Tyler Bands you asterisked. Just thought I would let you know

Honestly they sorta blew me away alittle . There first movement . Wow I didn’t think they could play like that . But they learned and match tonight movement one and two of there show. Second movement is alittle rough but that’s because they learned it today and it’s a few solos and they are alittle shaky but nothing that can’t be fixed in a week . And I can’t see to where they grow to by state

Honestly they sorta blew me away alittle . There first movement . Wow I didn’t think they could play like that . But they learned and match tonight movement one and two of there show. Second movement is alittle rough but that’s because they learned it today and it’s a few solos and they are alittle shaky but nothing that can’t be fixed in a week . And I can’t see to where they grow to by state

Someone said that they hope they don’t play the “Overdone O’Fortuna” but it seems like they played it great