2018 6A State

The main difference is that UIL is 60% Music and 40% Marching and Man.  Visual is not a caption under UIL.  The fact is that a Non Corps style Band could not be judged fairly in BOA contests. In 2016 Spring Hill and China Springs both made the 4A Finals at UIL. In the Finals they received higher M&M Scores than most of the Corps Style Bands.   This made many Corps style Directors angry.  It seems that they did not like having a Band that did precision drills get a good M&M Score.  If you watch the DVD of the Contest, both Spring Hill and China Spring were crisper in their drills than the Corps Style Bands. While most Bands in TX are Corps style, UIL is tasked to judge all types of Bands fairly. The current BOA way of judging clearly discriminates against, Military Style, Show Style and Big Ten Style Bands. For those who disagree, please look at the fact that in 2016, the Florida Marching Band Coalition agreed that the scores for Show Bands under the criteria they had in place was unfair.  They now have different score sheets for Show Bands in Contests. That is an honest appraisal.  When BOA first started their was a variety of Bands that entered. Once they saw that unless you were corps style, you could not win. They walked.  UIL has a responsibility that BOA(which is a Private Organization does not have) of making the playing field as equal as possible. 

Okay, I agree that UIL is good as it is in being fair to the military bands.  However, having marched in military and Corps style bands, Corps style marching is much harder to perform.  Kind of like comparing apples to oranges, many military bands go for years with alterations to the same show.  However, I think they deserve a spot in the competition, I don't think the rules need to be changed, certainly not to include show bands....how would you judge that against military or corps?  I can't think of a military band that would deserve to be in the top 10 in 6A.  The usually dependable Longview band did not perform well this year, Lufkin was better but the drill was blah, neither band has the imagination that some of Spring Hill's military shows have.  I haven't seen Kingwood's performances so can't comment on them.  But comparing a Hebron, Vandegrift or certainly CTJ bands to the top 6A military bands would be very difficult indeed.

Who do we think will do better in 2018 than in 2016 and who do we think might be lower? Is there a possibility that some bands who typically make it, dont make it this year?

If Haltom is anything like they were this year they will make state unlike 2016......I think Vandy will medal but hopefully Hebron can take a state championship just so all three of them can have a state championship

• 3 weeks later...

Just my opinion - but I think that Texas UIL has come a long way in the past few years in recognizing the efforts of the BOA type shows - while there is still a very big difference in scoring, I think there are a number of shows that can do well in both compititions

I would see the following as the top 5 for 6A - in no particular order

• FloMo
  • CTJ
  • Hebron
  • Marcus
  • Vandy

but time will tell

Just my opinion - but I think that Texas UIL has come a long way in the past few years in recognizing the efforts of the BOA type shows - while there is still a very big difference in scoring, I think there are a number of shows that can do well in both compititions

I would see the following as the top 5 for 6A - in no particular order

• FloMo
  • CTJ
  • Hebron
  • Marcus
  • Vandy
but time will tell
I'd replace CTJ with Keller since it's doubtful CTJ will even participate in state. Keller is also extremely strong in music, and have been more favorable to UIL in the past.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, there was quite a bit of talk on one of the other threads about a number of bands in that area moving up to 6A that will both likely change the number of finalists that make it to state and also which expected bands make it. There will be some really good bands in that area that are going to miss out just because of how strong everyone is.

That area which includes . Haltom , coppell , Richland , Keller , duncanville , Ld Bell , and many more is going to be insane . But I still think if they take 5 like they did in 2016 it’s going to be

Top 3- Keller , haltom , ld bell (not in order)

4-5 coppell and hopefully Duncanville

This is going to be a crazy year . And those predictions are just based off last year so who knows .. but very exciting!!

That area which includes . Haltom , coppell , Richland , Keller , duncanville , Ld Bell , and many more is going to be insane . But I still think if they take 5 like they did in 2016 it’s going to be

This is going to be a crazy year . And those predictions are just based off last year so who knows .. but very exciting!!

Also yes Richland is good but not haltom , ld bell and and Keller good !

This was taken from the UIL site.... http://www.uiltexas.org/music/marching-band/marching-band-scoring-and-advancement-procedure

5A/6A Certification. In Conferences 5A/6A the music area shall certify the two bands receiving the highest ranking in each conference to the State Marching Band Contest. Should fifteen or more bands qualify for

advancement in a single conference for the area contest, one band for each five bands that qualified for advancement to the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

I count 37 bands in Area B....if 30 advance to Area, that means 6 will advance to State, correct?  Am I reading that incorrectly?