My curiosity is what did Carmel do to jump both Hebron and CTJ? Hebron and Flower Mound traded wins (Hebron in prelims, Flower Mound in Finals), so there is merit to having Hebron over CTJ (who beat Bellevue West). I don't think Carmel had a competition this past weekend. I'm guessing the panel had these 3 really close, and one or two small changes in ordering caused the flip.

CTJ just won their 2nd BOA title, has won every contest by huge margins, has swept every caption. Became the first and only BOA band in the country to break 90 so far this season.

Hornrank dropped them two spots.

I think it had more to do with the bands they competed against than the specific placement. Notice after they won austin against many more “top 30” bands, they jumped significantly, but after this weekend of placing 1st over bands not on the top 30 list, the competition was probably not weighted the same. And I doubt scores themselves have much weight in the ranking system. Scores are completely isolated to each competition and are related to the DIFFERENCES between bands a little more than a score like on a math test.

My history teacher gave his definition of “sports” (with which I disagree) but he has a good point. A sport is an activity where people DIRECTLY compete against each other using specific rules to achieve quantifiable results. Shooting balls into hoops, finishing a race before the person next to you. Things like gymnastics aren’t considered sports (to him) because although you are competing against people, the goal is to perform without flaws, and things like style come into play. He argued that even though band competitions are huge, that band wasn’t a sport because the goal of the competition was unquantifiable other than with adjectives like “good” “perfect” “moving”

There are some quantifiable aspects to marching band, like specific technique, but even that is getting blurry with bands like vandegrift and Reagan competing head-to-head and both schools marching totally different styles.

I just think it’s unfair to complain about a ranking system when the things being ranked are only competitive based on subjective rules/opinions. It’s not like class rank with gpa

I think the move down was more a testament to Carmel doing really well and some videos of Hebron getting out. Hebron music is lit. I think the Hornrank contributors expect them to deal some heavy damage in Music Performance and GE. On the other hand, CTJ's music and visual books are insanely difficult and people are wary to put them above a super clean Hebron.  

At the end this is all judgment based and no one has the "right" answer. The polls will be noisy and should be considered more as directional than absolute (i.e. these results reflect a general idea of where the band belongs and not some universal truth).

I think it had more to do with the bands they competed against than the specific placement. Notice after they won austin against many more “top 30” bands, they jumped significantly, but after this weekend of placing 1st over bands not on the top 30 list, the competition was probably not weighted the same. And I doubt scores themselves have much weight in the ranking system. Scores are completely isolated to each competition and are related to the DIFFERENCES between bands a little more than a score like on a math test.

My history teacher gave his definition of “sports” (with which I disagree) but he has a good point. A sport is an activity where people DIRECTLY compete against each other using specific rules to achieve quantifiable results. Shooting balls into hoops, finishing a race before the person next to you. Things like gymnastics aren’t considered sports (to him) because although you are competing against people, the goal is to perform without flaws, and things like style come into play. He argued that even though band competitions are huge, that band wasn’t a sport because the goal of the competition was unquantifiable other than with adjectives like “good” “perfect” “moving”

There are some quantifiable aspects to marching band, like specific technique, but even that is getting blurry with bands like vandegrift and Reagan competing head-to-head and both schools marching totally different styles.

I just think it’s unfair to complain about a ranking system when the things being ranked are only competitive based on subjective rules/opinions. It’s not like class rank with gpa

Your opinion is interesting, but let's take a look at Hornrank's own criteria:

"Scores and placements from BOA competitions with weight based on how recently the competition occurred, with finals scores and placements carrying slightly more weight than prelims scores and placements. Scores and placements from non-BOA events are taken into account, just not as much as those from BOA events."

Of the top 5 bands, only CTJ competed in a BOA competition last weekend, which they won, with the highest score in the country so far this season.  HornRank dropped them two spots.

Your opinion is interesting, but let's take a look at Hornrank's own criteria:

"Scores and placements from BOA competitions with weight based on how recently the competition occurred, with finals scores and placements carrying slightly more weight than prelims scores and placements. Scores and placements from non-BOA events are taken into account, just not as much as those from BOA events."

Of the top 5 bands, only CTJ competed in a BOA competition last weekend, which they won, with the highest score in the country so far this season.  HornRank dropped them two spots.

Reputable advisors submit their rankings every week. These are converted into a weighted number system and accounts for a portion of the overall rankings.

I say everything that I do even though I totally disagree with their aggregated decision.

I might suggest a red, Trump-style hat. “Make Band Great Again.” With a HornRank logo on the back.

Last year when Leander went to state, the Leander parents and students were standing outside the school holding up signs as the band kids boarded the buses to drive to San Antonio.  Now if you remember, last year the state marching contest fell on Election Day.  Leander HS was one of the voting sites and there were election signs all over the place.  There were also some pretty amusing signs being held up by parents as the band kids walked by.  Some of the signs said things like "vote for Leander" and such, but the most amusing one I thought was one that read, "Make UIL great again."    :)

Edit:  I'm not sure if this link will work but here is a picture. 

www.facebook.com/LeanderHighSchoolBand/photos/a.196543077180066.1073741829.190181291149578/688627961304906/?type=3&theater

I heard rumors a few months ago that CTJ was looking into withdrawing from UIL. Has anyone heard anything about that?

I am pretty sure it was just a rumor. It would affect the entire school, not just band. All of CTJ would have to leave UIL, including football.

I think the fact that they skipped state last year fueled the flames of gossip. They really only skipped it to be more rested and prepared for Grand Nats. Avon and Carmel are doing the same thing this year...skipping state to focus on more BOA type competitions, including a much anticipated trip to BOA SA of course. :) Well, for Avon at least!

CTJ's director has stated that they will try to plan future GN trips on years where GN isn't the same week as a Wednesday UIL State day. Having 6A State Finals on Wednesday in 2016 was a relative surprise from a multi-year travel planning standpoint.

Yes it was quite the wakeup call for Leander as well who was not only making their first trip to Grand Nats in nearly 20 years, but who also had just moved up to 6A. 2016 was an unforgettable journey for Leander in so many ways, but it was most definitely an exhausting one as well. I doubt Selaiden will take the kids back to GN during a state year again if he can help it!

It seems to be the consensus among directors to only plan future trips on non-state years. Unfortunately, that means even years, without Texas bands at Grand Nats, are likely to have much different dynamics than odd years, with Texas bands at Grand Nats. At least, if the usual scheduling practices, having San Antonio the weekend immediately before Grand Nats with UIL State in between, stay the same.

It seems to be the consensus among directors to only plan future trips on non-state years. Unfortunately, that means even years, without Texas bands at Grand Nats, are likely to have much different dynamics than odd years, with Texas bands at Grand Nats. At least, if the usual scheduling practices, having San Antonio the weekend immediately before Grand Nats with UIL State in between, stay the same.

Although it might be good for some band programs in Texas.  6A is odd years while 5A is even years.  There are some very good bands in 5A.  Maybe they will be inspired to make an "off-year" trip.  I Do agree that should the current schedule for UIL State Finals stay the same, there will be fewer bands going to GN on state years.

Although it might be good for some band programs in Texas.  6A is odd years while 5A is even years.  There are some very good bands in 5A.  Maybe they will be inspired to make an "off-year" trip.  I Do agree that should the current schedule for UIL State Finals stay the same, there will be fewer bands going to GN on state years.

Cedar Park is still 5A so maybe they'll go on even years.  

CTJ's director has stated that they will try to plan future GN trips on years where GN isn't the same week as a Wednesday UIL State day. Having 6A State Finals on Wednesday in 2016 was a relative surprise from a multi-year travel planning standpoint.

CTJ's director posted on this myth last year - it was just to rest the kids for GNats trip - not any intention of dropping out of UIL

CTJ just won their 2nd BOA title, has won every contest by huge margins, has swept every caption. Became the first and only BOA band in the country to break 90 so far this season. 

Hornrank dropped them two spots.

I agree, i dont buy the "there was less competition" so it counted less - it was still a BOA scored event and not only was it the only score to break 90 so far this year - in at least the last 4 years (did not look further back than that) there has not been a score break 90 in a regional - only super regionals.

but it will all come out in the wash with 2 super regionals this weekend that have 8-10 bands ranked bands - the San Antonio Super will eliminate the speculation

I think the spread of CTJ and Timber Creek is interesting - at Midland they were 7.6 points above TC. At Southlake (many weeks earlier), Hebron was 9.85 points above TC and Flomo was 9.45 points above TC. While I doubt Hebron and Flomo are 2 points above CTJ (frame of reference from Southlake to Midland is radically different), it's an interesting comparison to make.

on the post performance interview last year I believe they said they only go every 4 years, but correct me if I’m wrong

In the 5 years I've been around in the high school band world, Cedar Park has only gone once which was last year.  Unless they went in 2012 and I'm just not remembering...which is quite possible as my kid was only a Freshman then and I truly knew next to nothing about the world of BOA!!

In the 5 years I've been around in the high school band world, Cedar Park has only gone once which was last year. Unless they went in 2012 and I'm just not remembering...which is quite possible as my kid was only a Freshman then and I truly knew next to nothing about the world of BOA!!

Cedar Park has only gone in 2010 and 2016.