Look, I am a fan of Hornrank and what they do. I am just saying that what a band did last year has no bearing at all on what they do this year.

I disagree. How can the previous year(s) NOT influence a band's overall ranking? I guess maybe there could potentially be two ranking systems. One, like now, that sort of ranks the overall "big picture" of where a band stands (heh--band stands), and another that strictly orders the bands based on how they scored at their most recent contest. Of course, poor Jeremiah would never get any sleep, but hey, it's BAND season man!! :)

Once again keep doing what you are doing. The rankings are perfect and cannot be improved upon. Do not change a thing.

What I love most about Jeremiah and Hornrank.com is that he started that website while he was still in HIGH SCHOOL!  Kids are just too smart for their own good these days.   B)

What I love most about Jeremiah and Hornrank.com is that he started that website while he was still in HIGH SCHOOL!  Kids are just too smart for their own good these days.   B)

love following HornRank - each week, regardless of how the rankings are done , there will be some that do not agree. I like the "overall" picture that is presented and that fact that it moves each week - so I think they do a great job in a process that does not always pit the top bands against each other - this is due to the cost of traveling to Grand Nats for some of the best bands in the country -  they have to plan 2+ years in advance to go to Indy and that may not be their year.

Keep up the great work - it gives us a chance to see bands make the top 10 even though they do not make the trip to Indy based on their season and compitition

less than an hour to Conroe kick off - lets see some bands and shake this up 

I noted that at least 9 of the top 30 performed yesterday - what a great show in Houston!! - 8 bands scored above 80!

should be some big shake ups this week - 

In Dayton - #7 Carmel beat #3 Avon - rain wiped out the finals - separated by .15 points and a split of captions. it would have been interesting to see how the finals would have played out

In Conroe - TWHS sliding to #5 was a shocker - but this is a show with a lot of upside growth for a GNats year but the fact that #9 Vandy, #11 Reagan, #10 Leander and Bowie (next 10) finished above #6 TWHS - that should have an impact on the overall scores but we will see

#24 Hendrickson finishing above #13 Round Rock should create some movement.

#29 Churchill continues their string of BOA finals placements

heck of a week

Here's my guess. Avon will stay at 3 because there was no finals and they split captions. Carmel will move into the 6 spot vacated by the Woodlands. Vandy moves to 7, Reagan to 9 and Leander remains at 10.(Or Marcus at 10, Leander 11) After 11 is where the shuffle will be. Where to put the Woodlands, Bowie, Hendrickson, Round Rock etc? It will be interesting to see what "the formula" puts out.

Here's my guess. Avon will stay at 3 because there was no finals and they split captions. Carmel will move into the 6 spot vacated by the Woodlands. Vandy moves to 7, Reagan to 9 and Leander remains at 10.(Or Marcus at 10, Leander 11) After 11 is where the shuffle will be. Where to put the Woodlands, Bowie, Hendrickson, Round Rock etc? It will be interesting to see what "the formula" puts out.

I would agree with all of that - I see CTJ could have a trap this weekend with BOA Midland - anything short of a "BIG" win could hurt their rankings based on the competition base in West Texas. But based on the show they had on the field at the rough rider - they are up for it and will put on a great show

no other major competitions for anyone until BOA San Antonio. let the predictions begin

The third place band was almost 8pts away in scoring. Going to get real interesting in a couple of weeks around here.

Sounds like it's going to be quite the battle. Similar to what is being fought in the top Texas bands. The Hebron/Flower Mound match up last weekend was brutal like that. FloMo won prelims but Hebron came back to win at finals. You guys probably would have done the same thing yesterday in Dayton had there been a finals. It's going to be crazy in San Antonio this year for sure. At this point, simply making finals is going to be quite a feat for many of the Texas bands!!

Would have been nice for a finals run in Dayton, but keeping kids safe beats traveling in bad weather.  Avon performed in the middle of the 2nd pack of bands at 1pm.  Carmel was the last band of the prelims 3 hours later at 4pm. Another tie occurred, and this time it was the famous GE score, and split the other captions.  In finals draw, Carmel was going to be last again with Avon only an hour in front of this time.  The third place band was almost 8pts away in scoring.  Going to get real interesting in a couple of weeks around here.  

Like you said keeping the kids safe is the priority, totally woulda loved to see a finals rematch but I'm glad everyone is home safe.  

LOVE how the show is progressing, I can tell the closer, what's there and what else is to come, is gonna be absolutely epic.  Cannot wait to see the show in San Antonio!

Avon fell to 6th - CTJ moved to 3rd - you were pretty close on the others

Carmel in 5th

Vandy at 7

Reagan at 9th

Leander at 10th

Huge jump for Bowie to 14th

16 of the top 30 are from Texas

I did not see the Avon drop coming after a very close competition.  I guess after seeing all of the top 6 bands the thought is Flomo, Johnson and Hebron may be slightly ahead at this time?  Makes sense, I have not been following non TX bands so not sure.  Kudos to Bowie and Hendrickson.  Well deserved!

Oh my goodness. Remind me again why people care so much about these rankings. It’s because it has its own website, isn’t it? It does make it seem more official, I suppose. Reminds me of that Mark Twain quote: “Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.”

because like the AP college FB polls - many of these bands will never meet up on the same filed - or at least not when they have their best show as many only go to GNats every few years - as we see every year, there in San Antonio where we have bands that finish in the top 10 that are not going to Indy - 

from what I see the reasoning for the rankings is sound - so why not

Oh my goodness. Remind me again why people care so much about these rankings. It’s because it has its own website, isn’t it? It does make it seem more official, I suppose. Reminds me of that Mark Twain quote: “Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.”

Now that is just breathless silliness Rubisco. Your Woodlands did great on Conroe. The show should be great by the time it gets to SA and Nats. I am pulling for them.

Now that is just breathless silliness Rubisco. Your Woodlands did great on Conroe. The show should be great by the time it gets to SA and Nats. I am pulling for them.

so this is more that Rubisco did not like where TWHS was ranked and now must question the value of such rankings? got it.

No reason to get upset about these things. It will all sort itself out in November. I look at these early regionals as an opportunity to get some critical feedback and make adjustments to improve. Yeah, it is great to win, but I find 5th place with an unfinished show (marking time at the end and the tag ending cut some more too) against that competition to be a great result. Based upon what I knew going in, a mid 80's score would have them right on track for their goals in November. Also of note, a mid 80's score usually wins the Conroe contest, but not this year. TWHS scores this year are very comparable to their 2013 scores, and (much?) better than 2015 and 2016. 2014 had mixed results where finals apparently didn't go as well as prelims (before my time, so I wasn't around for that one). To be a complete homer, I think their ceiling by GN is in the 96 to 97 range, which puts them right in the thick of things. But must execute!

Anecdote - I found it nice that the lady from Leander that was sitting beside me during finals was humming the music to our closer between bands. I find it to be a very catchy tune, and she did too.

I also like hornrank.com because of its ability to connect and juxtapose bands from all around the nation. Is it pefect? No. Statistics/analysis is never about perfect because perfect doesn't exist. Does it provide insight? Yes. A lot of thought from multiple people go into the rankings. 

I REALLY WANT A SHIRT (Not a contributor, avid follower).