2017 State Marching Contest (1A,2A,3A,5A)

I might suggest UIL implement a rule similar to their 2 and 1 rule for finals qualification, like if 4 of 5 judges have you in finals you advance. seems only fair that their measures to prevent "rogue" judges from affecting champion outcomes should extend to finalist advancement.

I feel like that is a great idea.

For what it is worth... Every one of the top 10 bands had at least 1 judge rank them top 5. That to me says there was a lot of subjectivity. But that's expected and will always be the case. They were all fabulous! I'm excited my freshman kiddo got this experience and hope in 2 years he'll be back. They upped their results in finals by two spots from the previous state contest so hopefully will continue to improve.

For what it is worth... Every one of the top 10 bands had at least 1 judge rank them top 5. That to me says there was a lot of subjectivity. But that's expected and will always be the case. They were all fabulous! I'm excited my freshman kiddo got this experience and hope in 2 years he'll be back. They upped their results in finals by two spots from the previous state contest so hopefully will continue to improve.

This was a great contest. So much across the board to be proud of. Lots of talent in 5A, it was a great day for band in Texas!

I was very surprised with the results! Well, not 1-2 but everyone else was up in the air. Cedar Park and Dripping springs were performing out of their mind, so congrats to Area D!

I'm glad to see 2 Area C bands make top 5 in finals. Poteet jumped way up in placements from the previous SMC. Kudos to them.

Everyone I was around loved Poteet! It was great. So much good stuff! And can I say Highland Park h o l y c o w can they play for a small group. Thought I was listening to a small drum corps. That is some crazy brass. You go guys! Dang!

With all the crazy judging,maybe it makes sense to go to seven judges and then throw out the high and low scores to eliminate outliers?

They wouldn’t ever do seven, because you could in theory knock out the visual judges or have your music be under-weighted. It would take them moving to nine judges, then doing Olympic Style between captions to still get 3-2, which is kind of costly to UIL.

What really stinks is that is there would have been one more band in prelims, 36 instead of 35 they would have taken 12 to finals. If Area B would have had one more band make a one at region they would have advanced 5 instead of 4 to state getting the number to 36 at State prelims.

I know it's tough but hold your heads high you all had a fantastic year!!!

What a great year for 5A!!, Maybe the deepest top to bottom in terms of quality ever.

What really stinks is that is there would have been one more band in prelims, 36 instead of 35 they would have taken 12 to finals. If Area B would have had one more band make a one at region they would have advanced 5 instead of 4 to state getting the number to 36 at State prelims.

I know it's tough but hold your heads high you all had a fantastic year!!!

What a great year for 5A!!, Maybe the deepest top to bottom in terms of quality ever.

That one more band from Area B would have been Frisco Centennial, who lost a tie-breaker to Southwest for the 4th spot.

That one more band from Area B would have been Frisco Centennial, who lost a tie-breaker to Southwest for the 4th spot.

There was a tie between Frisco Centennial and Southwest for the Area Competition for the 4th spot going to State, but TX_Band was saying that if Area B had one more band score a 1 at the Region competition bringing the total number of bands to 25 instead of 24 for Area B, then 5 bands would have been able to go to State instead of 4 and that also would have brought the total number of bands to 36 for the State competition therefore 12 bands would have been in finals instead of 10. Region 24 had 10 out of 10 get a 1, Region 25 had 5 out of 5 get a 1, but Region 5 only had 9 out of 16 bands get a score of 1 at the Region competition. I think it was a rough year in Fort Worth.