2017 State Marching Contest (1A,2A,3A,5A)

I agree with this, I think there will be a dark horse from all the way out west, based on looking at Borderland Marching which is the site for all the bands out West, it looks like Bel Air will be that dark horse in State.

I also think there will be a dark horse from Area E and that it will be Tomball Memorial...I managed to catch their rehearsal tonight and WOW the sound coming out of them it was definitely a finals performance sound. I have been closely watching them improve in leaps and bounds the past few weeks, and though many leave them off their lists, I think they can be a force to reckon with.

Finally watched Roma's show and they feel pretty safely in finals for me- they sound AMAZING and while they're definitely marching at a bit more languid pace than some other contenders, it's almost flawlessly executed so I don't imagine UIL judges will care about that- I have them pretty deep into finals but we shall see

Roma is without question my favorite somewhat non-traditional (only because of the horns) to get into finals. I can't wait to see how high their music score is. Can't wait to hear them in the dome!

I also think there will be a dark horse from Area E and that it will be Tomball Memorial...I managed to catch their rehearsal tonight and WOW the sound coming out of them it was definitely a finals performance sound. I have been closely watching them improve in leaps and bounds the past few weeks, and though many leave them off their lists, I think they can be a force to reckon with.

I love a dark horse! I think a lot of groups are really bringing it on this year. I don't think this is a fight just for silver or bronze. Some really polished groups are going to shine Wednesday night. Fun stuff!

Anyone have any last minute thoughts for tomorrow with 2A finals and 3A?

With a solid performance, Clarksville can take the title.  They move significantly faster and with more difficulty than everyone else.  They sound great as well!

I have a feeling Mineola is going to bash people's heads in later today.

1. Richland. Without a Doubt

Richland's Honor's Band got 2nd in Music for All National Competition in 2017.  Fortunately for us spectators - These same Musicians March, too. Richland's  Marching music this year is phenomenal along with their timing, lines and marching. Their music is complex for marching and unlike other shows you normally see.  Richland is spot on this year and a great representation of Texas.

I look forward to seeing them in San Antonio.

1. Richland. Without a Doubt

Richland's Honor's Band got 2nd in Music for All National Competition in 2017. Fortunately for us spectators - These same Musicians March, too. Richland's Marching music this year is phenomenal along with their timing, lines and marching. Their music is complex for marching and unlike other shows you normally see. Richland is spot on this year and a great representation of Texas.

I look forward to seeing them in San Antonio.

Agreed ! I also watched birdville last night at there send off and wow the improvement ! Both birdville schools are truly killer

So do people like the full retreat for finals this year or not?

People seem to like it.  The students don't really follow the cue to break ranks when they are told since they usually don't do anything unless their director or Drum Major tells them.  The announcement is a little confusing, but maybe they'll fix it soon.