I don't think San Antonio will be harder than the Grand Nationals this year, especially at the top. With so many heavy-hitters going this year I expect it to be one of the best yet.

Except most of those heavy hitters will also be at San Antonio. I'd argue that Hebron and CTJ are just as strong a group as Carmel this year. Broken Arrow is pretty much the only strong point for why Grand Nats would be harder.

Except most of those heavy hitters will also be at San Antonio. I'd argue that Hebron and CTJ are just as strong a group as Carmel this year. Broken Arrow is pretty much the only strong point for why Grand Nats would be harder.

I was thinking more of just getting into the finals at the Grand Nationals. About 15 who regularly make the finals fighting for those 12 spots, plus several bands that have been very close in the past as well.

Depending on what happens at Conroe, there are at least 4 groups fighting for the top spot at SA (any clear dominant winner or close top two at Conroe could be added on). This leaves Avon in a position where 4th is viable. If TWHS and Reagan both pull unusually strong competition at Conroe, then that makes 6 groups contending for the top spot at SA, meaning that (while I doubt it) Avon would be viable to get 6th.

As for getting into finals, I'd argue the depth is pretty comparable the top ~25 at SA vs GN semifinals.

I was thinking more of just getting into the finals at the Grand Nationals. About 15 who regularly make the finals fighting for those 12 spots, plus several bands that have been very close in the past as well.

I'm not sure that argument works. There are 17 bands on Horn Rank's Top 30 going to SA fighting for 14 (usually) spots in finals and 16 going to Nats fighting for 12 spots. Either way, you're looking at several really good bands not making finals.

Also, distance matters. There are several bands here in Texas that could make Grand Nat's finals "regularly", except they can't attend regularly. Marcus, Hebron, Flower Mound, CTJ, The Woodlands, Round Rock, Vandegrift, and others would all be contenders for GN finals. If they all went in a single year, what would Nats look like. If they all went every year, what would that top 15-20 band list fighting for finals be?

Zach's pictures just reminded me of how awesome Liberty HS's uniforms were, and their fantastic "swaying" pit with the bass guitar player. They were most definitely the "coolest" band at yesterday's contest! ;)

I got to see Liberty again last night.  SERIOUSLY cool show and uniforms.  Honestly, I couldn't take my eyes off them.  There was something so very edgy and on-point about their program.  They are such a low-hype band that they tend to be underestimated.  I seriously expect them to propel forward one of these days in those scores.

I got to see Liberty again last night. SERIOUSLY cool show and uniforms. Honestly, I couldn't take my eyes off them. There was something so very edgy and on-point about their program. They are such a low-hype band that they tend to be underestimated. I seriously expect them to propel forward one of these days in those scores.

Yes, that's exactly it! They were hypnotizing and I couldn't take my eyes off of them either. I expect to see them moving on up in the very near future.

I think the thing that makes San Antonio harder than Grand Nats is the depth of it. Some years there are bands in the top 6 at indianapolis that I'm not sure would be in finals at San Antonio. Obviously that's very rare, but still true, where as it has been a long time to where a top 6 band at San Antonio would not be a Finalist at Indy. Like I said, I can only think of about two examples that the Top 6 in Indy apply to, but it's still some food for thought. What makes San Antonio so hard is that not only are there two or three bands every year that could compete for the eagle if they were all going, but there are also like 10 bands within five points of them. Finals is so dense and SO rich that it is quite frankly hard not to make San Antonio the highlight of the year for me. In fact, I remember asking some Woodlands parents about their 2013 wins and they all kind of agreed that they were more impressed that they won San Antonio than Grand Nats. If I'm correct, that was also the .05 year that they edged out Hebron, who also didn't win a single caption the entire competition. The point is, San Antonio is a crazy hard competition and isn't nearly as spread out at the top as I typically see at Grand Nats.

I remember asking some Woodlands parents about their 2013 wins and they all kind of agreed that they were more impressed that they won San Antonio than Grand Nats. If I'm correct, that was also the .05 year that they edged out Hebron, who also didn't win a single caption the entire competition.

I'll never forget when Leander won BOA Austin in 2015 without winning one single caption. I will also always remember how excited Daniel Sanchez (Xenon) was when that happened. It was a superb day. :)

Texas for the win!!

I think the thing that makes San Antonio harder than Grand Nats is the depth of it. Some years there are bands in the top 6 at indianapolis that I'm not sure would be in finals at San Antonio. Obviously that's very rare, but still true, where as it has been a long time to where a top 6 band at San Antonio would not be a Finalist at Indy.

I can't think of a single instance going back to the beginning of the San Antonio Super Regional in 2003 where this statement is true. And, just four years ago, Blue Springs placed 6th at the SA Super Regional and failed to make finals at Nationals.

It's hard to overstate how much more difficult it is to win Nationals than it is to win San Antonio. The bands that Texas groups compete against at Nationals have the best design staffs out there, and they have all the time in the world to clean their shows. There are probably just as many (if not more) instances where a Texas band has dropped in placement at Nationals relative to their SA placement than the opposite. Last year provides a pretty good example, as the third- and fourth-place performers at San Antonio placed 6th and 9th at Nationals, respectively. And I have add that last year the top groups weren't even particularly strong!

Obviously, Texas has a lot of depth in its musical programs, but much of what is being posted here is breathless silliness.

The comment about last year's, while valid, there's a case for the 9th place group at SA jumping to 5th at nationals.

This year of all years I would say SA is going to be just as competitive for first as Nationals if not more so. 2013 is another example of a year SA was similar to Gnats. I'd say the past three years this has not been the case, but this year is shaping up to be a LOT more competitive down south than last year. Plus, we haven't even seen Conroe yet.

I can't think of a single instance going back to the beginning of the San Antonio Super Regional in 2003 where this statement is true. And, just four years ago, Blue Springs placed 6th at the SA Super Regional and failed to make finals at Nationals.

It's hard to overstate how much more difficult it is to win Nationals than it is to win San Antonio. The bands that Texas groups compete against at Nationals have the best design staffs out there, and they have all the time in the world to clean their shows. There are probably just as many (if not more) instances where a Texas band has dropped in placement at Nationals relative to their SA placement than the opposite. Last year provides a pretty good example, as the third- and fourth-place performers at San Antonio placed 6th and 9th at Nationals, respectively. And I have add that last year the top groups weren't even particularly strong!

Obviously, Texas has a lot of depth in its musical programs, but much of what is being posted here is breathless silliness.

In 07, Reagan got 5th at San Antonio and 16th in Indy

I think it really depends on the year. Often Texas bands seem to collectively be better or worse than usual with a few outliers. The years when Texas bands are the strongest, SA is more competitive than nats. The years when they're not, Nats is more competitive. While I could probably count the number of years SA was more competitive than nats as a whole on one hand, this year does seem to be shaping up to be one of those years. Especially with Avon coming down, and the Texas bands as a whole raising the bar even higher than it has been in the past.

Sorry if this was already discussed, but was just looking through misc. scores (I'm a score junkie) and noticed that Coppell's penalty was .45, which seems abnormally specific for a penalty score that just happened to drop them into the tie for 10th that let Timber Creek sneak into finals. I don't know penalties too well, but just seems like an odd number to be assigned to one.

I'm not crying conspiracy, I love that 11 bands got a chance in finals, and am truly excited for Timber Creek, but seems too specific to not have some kind of meaning...right? maybe?  ;)

Sorry if this was already discussed, but was just looking through misc. scores (I'm a score junkie) and noticed that Coppell's penalty was .45, which seems abnormally specific for a penalty score that just happened to drop them into the tie for 10th that let Timber Creek sneak into finals. I don't know penalties too well, but just seems like an odd number to be assigned to one.

I'm not crying conspiracy, I love that 11 bands got a chance in finals, and am truly excited for Timber Creek, but seems too specific to not have some kind of meaning...right? maybe?  ;)

Check out the comment at the top of the page at http://www.hornrank.com/2017/09/southlake-prelims-sept-30-2017.html They have some info about that penalty... (fixed link).

Check out the comment at the top of the page at http://www.hornrank.com/2017/09/southlake-prelims-sept-30-2017.html They have some info about that penalty...

Yeah, I found that penalty rather odd, especially when it was modified after I pointed out to MFA staff that the recap was calculated incorrectly.

And it looks like your link has an extra period at the end, here's a working link: http://www.hornrank.com/2017/09/southlake-prelims-sept-30-2017.html

Yeah, I found that penalty rather odd, especially when it was modified after I pointed out to MFA staff that the recap was calculated incorrectly.

And it looks like your link has an extra period at the end, here's a working link: http://www.hornrank.com/2017/09/southlake-prelims-sept-30-2017.html

Thanks for the clarification...seems to me like potentially a mistake made based on good intentions? Perhaps it could've been a .5 penalty that would've heart-breakingly knocked Coppell out of finals, and this was a way of compromising. No idea, but definitely odd...

Thanks for the clarification...seems to me like potentially a mistake made based on good intentions? Perhaps it could've been a .5 penalty that would've heart-breakingly knocked Coppell out of finals, and this was a way of compromising. No idea, but definitely odd...

When they made the correction, the contest was already done, so maybe they just made an adjustment so they were still tied. I don't think it was a conspiracy at all, just an error and they made the best of it, once they figured it out. The bottom line is that Coppell had actually beat TC in scores in prelims (and only "tied" because of the penalty) so whatever happened with the tie, it was a win-win for both schools. At HEB, Coppell actually beat TC by a substantial margin, and even beat us (Wakeland) by a few points, which they had not done at BOA. They were only behind the winner Prosper by 0.8 points. I think the BOA scores for Coppell were as low because they didn't have as much on field as the others. Still, glad we got to see TC and Coppell both in finals at BOA. Like I said, win-win for both.

Interesting LISD schedule coming up if you want to see more of the shows.

Oct 13 - Hebron at Marcus football

Oct 14 - Plano Invitational. Flomo and Hebron attending.

Oct 20 - Hebron at Flomo football

Oct 27 - Flomo at Marcus football

Oct 28 - Duncanville Invitational. Marcus and Hebron attending.

Also on Oct. 21, all three schools will perform at the UIL Region 2 contest at Justin Northwest, for a class rating, of course, no competitive scoring.