3. Reagan

4. Vandegrift

5. Round Rock

6. Churchill

7. College Park

8. Bowie

9. Cy-Fair

9. Coppell

Other than obviously Coppell, who pulled out, I went... 8/9? Pretty good.

Ouch. Round Rock had a higher score at Austin. Honestly a pretty big bummer, I thought they were doing so well.

It seemed to me that they still have a lot of drill and other elements to add to the last section of their show, plus more show. They have been ready for the Grand Nationals the last two times and I would expect them to be ready for that again this year. Remember, they've been at the bottom of the San Antonio finals for many years now and still have done well at the GN Finals. Slow and steady seems to win the race for them - at least the race they're running.

Wow what a contest, this was one I had to sleep on to gather my thoughts but I really enjoyed watching all of finals. What a great showcase of great bands. Loved dan talking about how they were worried about even having the regional and then they put on a fantastic show but anyway on to band talk.

I thought Vandegrift, Reagan, and Leander were all in a league of their own last night when it comes to having a full package of show design and performance level. I generally agree on the order and captions of the three but not on the score gaps. I expected vandy to beat Leander after watching finals but not by 2.5 points.

Bowie was a complete surprise to me, they stepped their game up big time from austin. Same with Hendrickson. 

Round rock perplexes me. I really dont think they should have gone down in score from Austin but after thinking through each band that overtook them I can't say I disagree. I'm sure they'll dust themselves off and be fine by grand nats though. Great leadership in that program.

The woodlands show has a lot of potential and I could see them getting a late season boost with it in the coming weeks, it'll be really interesting to see if this will turn out more like 15 or 16 for them.

Alright the big question. What do these results mean for predicting San Antonio?? Honest answer for me is I don't know. They might mean nothing, last year reagan won this regional and dropped to 8th by San Antonio and the woodlands who were where Leander currently is surged to 2nd. However they could mean that this is finally vandegrift's year to place in the top 5 in finals at San Antonio. Only time will tell but I do know one thing. San Antonio finals this year are going to be absolutely wild from top to bottom.

I'm not sure how many saw it, but Round Rock had a pretty substantial incident behind the pit in that section where the two sides of the band go running madly towards each other, switching sides of the field. A group of them in the very front collided and it took them a few seconds to untangle and get moving again. I don't know how much that hurt their scores, but I'm pretty sure it hurt their bodies!! Band is a full contact sport these days. They'll be having to march in full protective gear pretty soon. :D I did feel really bad for Round Rock tho. They are so good and deserve to be in the top ranks.

But hey, can we just give a shout out to the Bowie band?! Way to make a come back, Bowie!

It seemed to me that they still have a lot of drill and other elements to add to the last section of their show, plus more show. They have been ready for the Grand Nationals the last two times and I would expect them to be ready for that again this year. Remember, they've been at the bottom of the San Antonio finals for many years now and still have done well at the GN Finals. Slow and steady seems to win the race for them - at least the race they're running.

I agree, their show isn't finished and they will continue to improve, So I would say..... One contest doesn't not make or break a band... as always they will dust themselves off and persevere.   

I remember when Round Rock didn't make state with the Raven and then came back with a vengeance at San Antonio.  Don't count them out just yet!  Their leadership is solid and will have those kids and their show ready by SA and Grand Nats.  

A huge shout out to the battery - that drum line is insane - one of the best in the STATE and NOBODY comes close to their most awesome uniforms - one of the best in the NATION. 

I'm not sure how many saw it, but Round Rock had a pretty substantial incident behind the pit in that section where the two sides of the band go running madly towards each other, switching sides of the field. A group of them in the very front collided and it took them a few seconds to untangle and get moving again. I don't know how much that hurt their scores, but I'm pretty sure it hurt their bodies!! Band is a full contact sport these days. They'll be having to march in full protective gear pretty soon. :D I did feel really bad for Round Rock tho. They are so good and deserve to be in the top ranks.

But hey, can we just give a shout out to the Bowie band?! Way to make a come back, Bowie!

I did not notice that, but it is something I have been concerned about happening. They're running full out and the guard is tossing their rifles then having to move back out of the way of the band.

Looks like all the Gnats groups are playing the long game for sure. Round Rock, Churchill, and Woodlands all placing surprisingly low due to dirtiness shows that they're definitely designing harder shows for the occasion. Some groups benefit from this a lot, but not all. This season sure is gonna be interesting.

My two cents on Round Rock's placement comes down to several factors...

1.The run in the drumline feature. This was a major General Effect moment of the battle against the Minotaur, and you could hear the crowd's excitement go from "wow" to "oooh..." as the collision occurred.

2. The pacing of the band. They seem to have focused on getting more show out quickly rather than cleaning what they already had; saving that phase for the later season.

3. RR typically does not go to mid-season BOA regionals, and perhaps they thought that the pacing they were using previously would have been just as effective as going to somewhere like the Westlake marching festival or UIL