2016 6A State Predictions

Cy-Fair are the very first performers in 2016 6A State. I think that's the main reason that many are discounting them. They would be pretty dangerous to look at, and would have a strong chance at an upset to make Finals, but their extremely early performance time unfortunately dims their chances. I think the strongest contender for Finals from Area E is SFA, with their later performance time and clean show.

True, but from what I've heard, Cy-Fair has a great staff and is working with Willie Veenstra, so I'm sure they'll be well prepared. Should be an exciting way to start prelims.

The two strongest bands from area E would have to be SFA and Clements. SFA has a great record of placements in contests this year and area 2014, and Clements at area 2014 making first place, and first in prelims during Area this year. Although Clements hasn't done great in previous contests this year, they really brought it at area and are most likely still cleaning and improving. Same with SFA, just when you thought their show was perfect they go and clean more lol.

Nope. They are extraordinarily clean this year and the only band imo that can take a medal from Lewisville ISD at state. Frankly I thought prelims was a more accurate representation of the gap between Vandegrift and Leander. But then again I also think Leander will overtake Vandy at BOA San Antonio. Their show styles are very different but both very good in their own ways.

The two strongest bands from area E would have to be SFA and Clements. SFA has a great record of placements in contests this year and area 2014, and Clements at area 2014 making first place, and first in prelims during Area this year. Although Clements hasn't done great in previous contests this year, they really brought it at area and are most likely still cleaning and improving. Same with SFA, just when you thought their show was perfect they go and clean more lol.

Can't count out Brazoswood!! They had the best music scores at Area E in prelims and finals, so if they can get their drill a little cleaner this week they could definitely be in that bubble!

not trying to offend anyone at all but i think the judges rankings were correct in finals when all the bands were out together at area E. that is why finals exists to closely look at the best bands and put them in order. my own two cents.

Anyone else think Vandegrift is overrated? In my opinion. Leander clearly should have won Area. 

I agree and think that Leander was better.  Vandergrift as always has a very loud clean brass section, but the solos are not top notch IMHO.  I also love the use of the cheap props that Leander has and expect them to do great at BOA.

So, across the 33 Regions, about 250 bands tried out.  202 made Area competitions.  40 made it to San Antonio.

All of these band students at all of these programs work hard to attempt to get to SA - Congrats to all of them!!

That being said, only about 15% make it to the State competition - and only about 5% make the Finals.  That's quite a feat.

I know it's history, but of the 40 bands attending this year - I see only 12 that have consistently made the Finals (or very near the Finals) in the last 3 outings (2014, 2012, and 2010) . . . in order of appearance at each of the 8 different Areas.

Area B (Keller, Duncanville, LD Bell - don't think they attended in '14, Coppell)

Area C (Flomo - actually didn't make finals I don't think in '12 or '10 - but hard to ignore this year, Hebron, Marcus)

Area D (Reagan, Bowie)

Area F (Spring - not '14, The Woodlands)

Area H (Westlake - not '14)

Not appearing this year (either chose not to or didn't advance), but have been stiff competition in the past:

CTJohnson

Rowlett

Churchill

Fairly new up and comers (at least in this class I think) that could def compete this year:

Round Rock

Hendrickson

Vandergrift

Leander

Old guard that have been amazing in the past, have fallen off in recent years, but still stand out this year:

Plano East

Berkner

I'm sure there's others

All that being said, they're all adding to and refining their shows in this last week.

But it will be hard to ignore those previously mentioned 12 . . . it's going to be crowded at the top!

I know it's already been addressed. However, after lurking and commenting way less than usual this year, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed reading this thread.

Good sportsmanship should always be practiced, even if you're a parent. I'm not a fan of some of this discussion on here.Thinking back to my high school days, one of the most defeating feelings was reading a negative comment on my show from some anonymous internet person.

Let's think about this:

1) EVERY single kid works the heart off on and off the field.

2) if you identify on this forum with a band program, and make a trivial comment, that reflects on the program. Whether you want it or not.

From now own, use this thread to constructively talk about all the bands. I say this every year, but TRULY anything can happen come state. Fate will play out how it's meant to be, and we will all agree that this was an incredible season.

Think before you post.

Said it before I did. 

We can joke, have fun, or even get a little sassy.  Just don't cross the line of insulting someone, a community, members of a band, etc. 

Thank you. 

:)

So, across the 33 Regions, about 250 bands tried out.  202 made Area competitions.  40 made it to San Antonio.

All of these band students at all of these programs work hard to attempt to get to SA - Congrats to all of them!!

That being said, only about 15% make it to the State competition - and only about 5% make the Finals.  That's quite a feat.

I know it's history, but of the 40 bands attending this year - I see only 12 that have consistently made the Finals (or very near the Finals) in the last 3 outings (2014, 2012, and 2010) . . . in order of appearance at each of the 8 different Areas.

Area B (Keller, Duncanville, LD Bell - don't think they attended in '14, Coppell)

Area C (Flomo - actually didn't make finals I don't think in '12 or '10 - but hard to ignore this year, Hebron, Marcus)

Area D (Reagan, Bowie)

Area F (Spring - not '14, The Woodlands)

Area H (Westlake - not '14)

Not appearing this year (either chose not to or didn't advance), but have been stiff competition in the past:

CTJohnson

Rowlett

Churchill

Fairly new up and comers (at least in this class I think) that could def compete this year:

Round Rock

Hendrickson

Vandergrift

Leander

Old guard that have been amazing in the past, have fallen off in recent years, but still stand out this year:

Plano East

Berkner

I'm sure there's others

All that being said, they're all adding to and refining their shows in this last week.

But it will be hard to ignore those previously mentioned 12 . . . it's going to be crowded at the top!

Yes, sadly, LD Bell did not qualify for State in 2014

If anything I said was taken as a negative, I personally apologize to those that felt slighted.  My family sits through and gives cheerful applause for every band that we have seen at local, region, area, and state competitions.  All of these kids impress the crap out of me.  I grew up in a school district in California that didn't have working instruments or quality instruction for the kids in school so the amount of investment into fine arts for our kids is amazing and one of the reasons I moved to Texas.  They all work really hard, I know my daughter is in color guard this year and comes home daily with blisters from working so hard.  All these kids work super hard.

One of my favorite moments was sitting next to a very nice lady at Area this last week when we talked and she said the trumpet soloist is her grandson.  He played his heart out, sounded great, and grandma was in tears.   It is moments like that we all do this.  To me his solo was just as heartwarming as the boy in our band that is 1st chair in the state.

I think it's funny we are trying to predict what bands will be in finals yes there are a few locks. But everyone knows the game now and this is the strongest year yet! It could be anyones game. Like look at Woodlands they where 7th in prelims at area then got 4th finals. I'm not trying to pick on them fantastic program! But just saying anything can happen! Band is not what it use to be and we are in a fantastic state that has so many wonderful programs it's kinda of getting hard to pick.

I think it is so difficult to base UIL placements on BOA results, since there is a different rubric, and there's always that crazy one judge that would probably rank Flower Mound like 15th.

Anyways... here's my finalist predictions (in somewhat of an order)

Flower Mound

Marcus

Leander

Hebron

Woodlands

Reagan

Bowie

Vandegrift

Hendrickson

Keller

LD Bell

Round Rock

Bubble Bands that could take a spot away from one of the bottom bands

Duncanville

Cedar Ridge

Coppell

Westlake

College Park

I really don't think Cypress Falls will place as high as the other BOA SA finalists, maybe that is just me. I absolutely love the rock and roll/jazzy feel to their show, and they are able to take a common show theme that many other schools use and mold it differently to fit their specific strengths. However, (this is just me), I do not feel the same dynamic contrast in their show compared to the other finalists. But I could be wrong and the judges may say something different. Can't wait for the next couple of days!!