2016 6A State Predictions

I was enjoying these posts until the Barry Bonds comment.  Really?  Wasn't there a lot of flack a few years ago about this too when Marcus was winning?  So I guess if you are good or get good you MUST be cheating!  No way around it.  That's the only possible explanation!  (insert sarcasm button!)  Flower Mound's show was outstanding and I venture to say it will only get better.  I doubt if they have cancelled their rehearsals based on one band competition. 

Barry Bonds/Mark Maguire??  SMH!

I would go more with a Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire analogy myself. Hypothetically bands A-Y practice 8 hours a week.  If Band Z practices 9-10 hours a week. Band Z has practiced the equivalent of about 2 more weeks then bands A-Y by October and wins a regional and eventually a super regional.  Yea band Z!

The next year, hypothetically, bands A-Y practice 8 hours a week and if band Z practices 11-12 hours a week.  By October band Z has a super regional finals worthy complete show because they are about a month ahead of the rest of the field while bands A-Y have shows that are about where they usually are in development in early October.  Band Z wins the regional by a HUGE margin over, almost, the exact same bands as the previous year.  I guess it is possible that ALL of the other bands in the area decided to not work as hard this year.  One band simply wanting it more just doesn't flush. 

To the old timers and statisticians out there,  Find a regional in any state and any year where a band has won one year and then came back the next year and wins a second time against the same bands by a margin of 4 points.  Here is a hint...You won't find it because its never happened and shouldn't happen. 

The term "even playing field" does not apply this year.  It is unfortunate that an activity as noble as marching band that shows the skills and hard work of high school kids and Directors has succumbed to the win at all costs mentality.  In the hypothetical above band Z will win San Antonio and probably State everytime because all they have left to do is add some props and polish the rest.  Bands A-Y are still building and adding.

In marching band there is a big difference between working harder and working longer.  Of course this is all hypothetical.......

Peace

What we have here is merely an exhibition of ignorance. Armed with nothing more than opinions and accusations, this individual claims that people he doesn't know are apparently cheating in an activity he knows nothing about. He provides no facts or specific examples and makes disparaging statements about a program of dedicated staff and students that have pushed themselves to a level of excellence that is absolutely admirable and just plain amazing. Sounds to me that this is more sour grapes than anything else. Perhaps he is associated with a competing band that just hasn't attained the level of excellence that Flower Mound has this year and he is lashing out at them instead of facing the truth. If you have ever met any of the students or the directors at Flower Mound, you would know that these people are just good, hardworking individuals that are maximizing their potential and they should be praised and applauded. There really is no need for suggesting that they are doing anything more than giving it 100%. It is human nature to be envious or jealous when others have great achievement and success for a very brief period, but it is entirely something else to lash out in an accusatory fashion. Besides, no amount of time spent doing something poorly will ever make the accumulated efforts successful. I think it is much more likely that their efficiency, focus, and dedication have produced an extraordinary result this year and that it is well within the confines of what is allowed regarding the 8-hour rule.

As a parent of a Senior at Vista I can say that they along with every other high tier school are practicing as hard as they can every day.  My daughter has blisters every day from all the practice.  No Vista is probably the smallest 6A school so they have to compete with schools with a bigger pool of band students because of just the population of the school.  The points about the support of the school district and the quality of the feeder schools is dead on.   I certainly don't see how my daughter could handle more practice hours.  She is already up to 1am everynight with all her AP and early start college courses.   Band is awesome but not 99% of the future of the kids.

The other issue for these shows is economics, we can see it even in our district that schools with parents of deeper pockets don't need to think about fund raising and can have more elaborate props and support.  That is a district advantage for sure, it isn't anything that can be solved but if you look at the amount of money that Vandegrift raises each year vs. Leander each year, Leander impresses me more.   Life isn't fair, it just isn't.  It costs a lot of money to run a good band program and I can only imagine what schools in poor areas have to do to even have a band program.   I don't know much about the Flower Mound area but I do know they are a huge school with multiple marching bands.

About 2.5 weeks away. Not too early now. Let's have those predictions. Here are mine. Is it top 12 or top 10 that make finals? I forget. In any case, here are my top 12

1-3 Flower Mound/Marcus/Hebron

4-6 Vandergrift//Bell/Reagan

7-9 Bowie/Woodlands//Keller

10-12 Coppell/Duncanville/Haltom

I'll second LKendrick. Some programs (Marcus and the Woodlands stand out) have well established and even harsh rules on social media and forum posting for good reason. Even things that seem harmless can be misconstrued and directors and show designers and drill writers 1) do look at this forum or 2) can easily be sent a link or a screenshot. I'm a few years removed from my program but I still shy away from saying critical or negative things about other programs here simply because I don't want it to reflect poorly on their success, should someone discover and make a link to my alma mater.

Looking back at the predictions I made in June, I'm almost laughing at loud at how far off I was. I couldn't have been more wrong. I got a few things right but I was WAY off. So I'm gonna shoot for this one last time in hopes that I can be a little more accurate. And now that I'm saying this I'm realizing that it won't be any more accurate because after the top six-ish I have no idea where it'll go.

Bubble Bands (11th-17th)

In order of my opinion

Duncanville (in for finals)

Woodlands (most likely in finals)

LD Bell (close call)

North Shore (close call)

Coppell (close call)

Vista Ridge (close call)

SFA (bubble)

TWCP (bubble)

7th-10th

Keller (probably too high up, 9th or 10th is probably more accurate but they could get 7th)

Round Rock

Leander

Berkner

5th and 6th

Bowie

Vandegrift

3rd and 4th

Marcus

Ronald Reagan

1st-2nd (only one that I don't have an order for)

Flowermound

Hebron

A few thoughts:

I have no idea what to think about 10-17, so don't ask. That's some crazy competition right there.

I am expecting The Woodlands to be higher in finals they just haven't quite blossomed yet. I don't think they're as strong as they were in the past years but their show is definitely one of my favorites. Ballad is a must see.

Duncanville is doing really well this year, I can't see them outside finals. I really think Bell could push for that last spot but it will be insanely close.

I'm not quite sure about Leander being that far down, but I just feel like Keller and Round Rock are about to make an insurgence. I think Keller might be the band to be watching in the next three to four years. I don't think Berkner can get any higher, but with that being said, they are darn incredible this year, best I've seen from them.

Bowie might push for 3/4 but I do think Reagan will be in the top four (thank goodness they're back!) I really adore vandegrifts show this year, if they can clean it they can also push for a higher placing. It's also possible that Vandy and Leander are closer than I have them in the rankings. I just would hate for Bowie to take fourth and miss out on the medals for the third straight state competition.

I'm starting to think that Marcus might be left alone in third, they might be able to squeeze in to the top three but I think any direction that they're gonna go is down one spot or up one. I'll have a better guess on where they are after I see their football game this Friday and I'll be getting to SA right when they perform. I will say that their drumline was probably the cleanest at the area competition, Hebron and Byron Nelson were probably the clear cut top three drum lines (Byron Nelson has John Horn's previous percussion director).

Here's where it gets sticky.

Hebron and Flomo are interchangeable apparently. They tied in prelims, and the scores in finals were really REALLY close. It looked like they were really really really close in finals and the judges just swayed towards flomo. Very impressed that Flowermound took four 1s in Finals but Hebron was right stinking there with them. I think marcus has a shot at cleaning up and getting in but it's looking like we have a clear cut 1/2 punch

"Bubble Bands (11th-17th)

In order of my opinion

Duncanville (in for finals)

Woodlands (most likely in finals)

LD Bell (close call)

North Shore (close call)

Coppell (close call)

Vista Ridge (close call)

SFA (bubble)

TWCP (bubble)

7th-10th

Keller (probably too high up, 9th or 10th is probably more accurate but they could get 7th)

Round Rock

Leander

Berkner

5th and 6th

Bowie

Vandegrift

3rd and 4th

Marcus

Ronald Reagan

1st-2nd (only one that I don't have an order for)

Flowermound

Hebron"

What do you think about Westlake? They beat out Vista Ridge at Area.

these are your 2016 UIL State marching contest bands...

Participating Bands

Permian HS

Coronado HS

Franklin HS

Americas HS

Keller HS

Duncanville  HS

L.D. Bell HS

Coppell HS

Plano East HS

Flower Mound HS

Hebron HS

Marcus HS

Berkner HS

Wylie HS

Ronald Reagan HS

Bowie HS

Round Rock HS

Hendrickson HS

Cedar Ridge HS

Austin HS

Cy-Fair HS

Brazoswood HS

Friendswood HS

Clements HS

Clear Brook HS

Langham Creek HS

Cypress Falls HS

North Shore Sr HS

Spring HS

The Woodlands College Park HS

The Woodlands HS

Dawson HS

Harlingen HS

Brownsville Hanna HS

Laredo United HS

Harlingen South HS

Vandegrift HS

Leander HS

Westlake HS

Vista Ridge HS

--------------------------------------

Wow I forgot about west lake,100% my fault. Westland is, if I'm honest, a lot better than I thought they would be. That isn't a discount to them at all, considering they beat one of the better 6A bands in this state in Vista. For them I would just like to see them clean up, I think they need to be cleaner if they want to be in the finals conversation next week. If they make it into finals, which I think they have a decent shot of, expect them anywhere from 10-12