2016 6A State Predictions

I wonder how the new schedule will impact the bands.  The extra day could be really good or really bad in some areas.  After all, these are still kids many are away from home since Friday night/Saturday morning through Wednesday.  They probably rested and had a rehearsal yesterday.  Will do some school work, region practice, rehearsal again today (hopefully with a fun event tonight).  

Good luck to all the bands and extra special thanks to all the chaperones taking time away from their lives to look after and protect the kids while they are away. 

I wonder how the new schedule will impact the bands.  The extra day could be really good or really bad in some areas.  After all, these are still kids many are away from home since Friday night/Saturday morning through Wednesday.  They probably rested and had a rehearsal yesterday.  Will do some school work, region practice, rehearsal again today (hopefully with a fun event tonight).  

Good luck to all the bands and extra special thanks to all the chaperones taking time away from their lives to look after and protect the kids while they are away. 

It will be crazy for sure.  I know that for Vista Ridge our kids got on a bus early friday 2 hours to San Antonio, then back to Austin for a football game.  Then back again Saturday to San Antonio.  Then back down again tomorrow through Wednesday, then back to Austin and then back to San Antonio for a playoff football game on Thursday.  And of course the lone star competion this weekend.   Leander had it better this last weekend with prelims on Saturday so only one day but then they have to fly right out of UIL for grand nats.  

Did Flower Mound just stay down in San Antonio for BOA through UIL?  I know it is a long way.

I don't know how the kids do it.  I am hoping to watch some great shows tomorrow.

It will be crazy for sure.  I know that for Vista Ridge our kids got on a bus early friday 2 hours to San Antonio, then back to Austin for a football game.  Then back again Saturday to San Antonio.  Then back down again tomorrow through Wednesday, then back to Austin and then back to San Antonio for a playoff football game on Thursday.  And of course the lone star competion this weekend.   Leander had it better this last weekend with prelims on Saturday so only one day but then they have to fly right out of UIL for grand nats.  

Did Flower Mound just stay down in San Antonio for BOA through UIL?  I know it is a long way.

I don't know how the kids do it.  I am hoping to watch some great shows tomorrow.

Yes Flower Mound stayed in San Antonio this weekend.  The schedule for those going to GN this year is pretty crazy.  

Two years ago, Flower Mound had a football game the Friday night before San Antonio, that went into 3OT, had a quick pizza dinner, loaded the buses for the 5+ hours bus ride to San Antonio, early prelims performance, Finals performance, retreat, then returned home after finals.  On Monday they went to class, had a short practice, then left for San Antonio for state.  Performed at State on Tuesday, returned home that evening with props that had their fabrics ruined by the rainstorm.  The drumline had a competition that weekend (thankfully it was local).  Then left for Grand Nats the following Wednesday evening. The replacement fabrics were actually delivered to Indy.  After the whirlwind weekend in Indy, the kids' buses departed town late, and one even broke down on the drive home.  They had to combine those kids onto other buses, AND leave their bags behind on the other bus.

This year all three LISD schools stayed in San Antonio, and I'm really interested in this because groups that go early in the morning, while their judging might be a little more controversial or arguable, they can go rehearse what went wrong later if they can find a place. Groups that go Later will most likely just have to talk things over and hope they fix on the fly or in the lot.

Yes Flower Mound stayed in San Antonio this weekend.  The schedule for those going to GN this year is pretty crazy.  

Two years ago, Flower Mound had a football game the Friday night before San Antonio, that went into 3OT, had a quick pizza dinner, loaded the buses for the 5+ hours bus ride to San Antonio, early prelims performance, Finals performance, retreat, then returned home after finals.  On Monday they went to class, had a short practice, then left for San Antonio for state.  Performed at State on Tuesday, returned home that evening with props that had their fabrics ruined by the rainstorm.  The drumline had a competition that weekend (thankfully it was local).  Then left for Grand Nats the following Wednesday evening. The replacement fabrics were actually delivered to Indy.  After the whirlwind weekend in Indy, the kids' buses departed town late, and one even broke down on the drive home.  They had to combine those kids onto other buses, AND leave their bags behind on the other bus.

You forgot the snowstorm that followed them home from Indy extending the trip several hours 

This year all three LISD schools stayed in San Antonio, and I'm really interested in this because groups that go early in the morning, while their judging might be a little more controversial or arguable, they can go rehearse what went wrong later if they can find a place. Groups that go Later will most likely just have to talk things over and hope they fix on the fly or in the lot.

My bet is that the contenders probably all already have a rehearsal planned out on Tuesday regardless of when they go on.  The ones who go later, can have one earlier in the day to shake out the nerves, and tune up, while the ones in the morning can rehearse later to fix flaws.  Wednesday would be the interesting one.  The last few bands could have an early morning walkthrough before reporting to the alamodome.  The band going at noon won't even have to be at warmup until 10:50.  They could easily have a 7am practice somewhere for 2 hours. then have plenty of time to have a quick lunch, regroup, and drive to the stadium.