2024 Grand Nationals May get interesting with an LISD participant

7 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Who else is projected to attend based on annual rotation? 

id love to see Rouse, Cy Fair, Bridgeland, Wakeland, and Coppell head that way for the first (?) time! 

Wakeland went in 2014, but other than that it would be first time for thee other bands, would love to see it! 

9 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

I am actually pretty shocked that the LISD schools aren't buying nationals trips in bulk. I am sure the buying power of say 3 schools buying accommodations together, buying rehearsal spaces together, and buying transport together would be a considerable savings. I know that adds a layer of difficulty with coordination but I believe it could be worth thousands of dollars for each organization. I'm not saying make the bands all stay together in the same place, or travel together but just the buying power would be immense. 

I agree with this. For example let’s say Cy-Fair, and Cy-Woods and bridgeland were to do something similar, all in the same district but the savings would be considerable.

20 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

I am actually pretty shocked that the LISD schools aren't buying nationals trips in bulk. I am sure the buying power of say 3 schools buying accommodations together, buying rehearsal spaces together, and buying transport together would be a considerable savings. I know that adds a layer of difficulty with coordination but I believe it could be worth thousands of dollars for each organization. I'm not saying make the bands all stay together in the same place, or travel together but just the buying power would be immense. 

The minimum cost per program in the past was usually in ballpark of 200-250k to go to Grand Nats. With the increase in costs for literally EVERYTHING now, I wouldn't be surprised if schools, more specifically schools boosters, have to account for and budget a minimum of 300-400k depending on the size of the group to go up to Grand Nats. 

Unfortunately, with the funding struggles for all school districts across the country, there's no school district that would ever be willing to cut a check for that dollar amount, let a lone for the equivalent amount of 3 groups to travel, no matter the amount that could be saved on the back end with bulk purchases of accommodations. 

The cost for travel to Grand Nats is one of the reasons I STRONGLY believe that BOA San Antonio should be a Pre-Lims/Semis/Finals format like Grand Nats, or have Grand Nats turn into an every other year format where the location is moved between Indianapolis and San Antonio, Dallas, Oklahoma, etc. somewhere that is MUCH less cost prohibitive for Texas Groups to attend. 

I know I'm selfishly advocating and specifically talking about Texas groups, but even beyond Texas, currently it is an impossibility for the vast majority of groups across the country to have the opportunity to attend and perform at Grand Nats due to the cost. #TheStruggleIsReal

I think Avon came down one year (or was it Carmel??), and got (again, bad memory and too lazy to look it up) - I think 3rd? I know someone will correct me if I am wrong. 😉 And that was only amongst Texas bands. We are a powerhouse state in Marching band, which is why it has been said that BOA SA is the “second,” or the “other,” Grand Nats. It would be very interesting to see, with all things being equal, how well we’d stack up if any band from Texas who wanted to attend, financially could.

6 minutes ago, Spirit said:

I think Avon came down one year (or was it Carmel??), and got (again, bad memory and too lazy to look it up) - I think 3rd? I know someone will correct me if I am wrong. 😉 And that was only amongst Texas bands. We are a powerhouse state in Marching band, which is why it has been said that BOA SA is the “second,” or the “other,” Grand Nats. It would be very interesting to see, with all things being equal, how well we’d stack up if any band from Texas who wanted to attend, financially could.

Found it! 

2017 BOA San Antonio 

Finals Results
96.625 – Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
95.600 – Hebron H.S., TX
95.575 – Vandegrift H.S., TX
95.375 – Avon H.S., IN

2 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Yup, it was Avon in 2017.  They finished 4th in San Antonio.  Then they finished 3rd in Indianapolis.  I'd love to see all of the big-hitters from GN come down to SA every year, or at least every other year.

Finals Results - BOA-SA 2017

95.600 – Hebron H.S., TX
95.375 – Avon H.S., IN

94.875 – Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
94.550 – Flower Mound H.S., TX
93.475 – Marcus H.S., TX
92.275 – Cedar Park H.S., TX
91.975 – Keller H.S., TX
90.875 – Hendrickson H.S., TX
90.700 – The Woodlands H.S., TX
89.875 – Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
89.150 – James Bowie H.S., TX
89.025 – Leander H.S., TX

Finals Results - BOA-GN 2017

97.500 – Carmel H.S., IN
96.925 – Broken Arrow H.S., OK
96.475 – Avon H.S., IN
95.700 – Marcus H.S., TX
95.625 – Flower Mound H.S., TX

92.725 – Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN
91.825 – The Woodlands H.S., TX
91.200 – Castle H.S., IN
91.175 – Blue Springs H.S., MO
91.025 – Union H.S., OK
89.800 – Marian Catholic H.S., IL
89.625 – Round Rock H.S., TX

Absolute fantasy land thought.... 

I know it's COMPLETELY unrealistic - but how crazy interesting and cool would it be if UIL and the State decided to foot the bill for travel to GN for the State Champion for each classification (1A - 6A) to go up to Grand Nats and represent Texas each year? 

(I know logistically, monetarily, timeline, planning for students, etc. this is not possible, but still fun to think about) 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

I love Avon for making that trip down.

GNats is never going to move. Our only hope is to have BOA elevate th status of SASR. I very much doubt that happens.

Is it fair? No.

Does that matter? No.

I love that they came to Texas as well! I wish more would make the trip. But there’s zero incentive at this point for them to spend that kind of money when they don’t have to. 

8 minutes ago, Spirit said:

I love that they came to Texas as well! I wish more would make the trip. But there’s zero incentive at this point for them to spend that kind of money when they don’t have to. 

Well, they can go to a super-regional, the Grand Nationals, and easily be in the top three at both via a quick bus ride, so why spend big money to go and fight in Texas? 

On 11/10/2023 at 2:38 PM, MikeKyu said:

Does LISD pay for the schools Nat trips?  In our district, the students/families covered most of the cost.

5 minutes ago, JockTurnedBandDad said:

Does LISD pay for the schools Nat trips?  In our district, the students/families covered most of the cost.

Not covered by the district - the costs are covered by the students/families/fundraising efforts across the ensembles, if the district covered anything it would maybe be a meal or two for the students on the trip, but even that would surprise me. 

Since BOA Contests are not the sacred three letters, U.I.L, most school districts view and describe BOA contests as "optional" and an extra supplemental performance opportunity that is a choice to attend, therefore won't be covered by the district.

From an administrators perspective or school board perspective, I can see how it could quickly spiral out of hand and cause issues if a district were willing to shell out massive funds for a contest performance opportunity for one organization (band), and not provide any funding or support for another organization (wgi dayton travel, basketball tournament, football skills & sac camps, etc.)  

On 11/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, 11BandMan11 said:

Found it! 

2017 BOA San Antonio 

Finals Results
95.600 – Hebron H.S., TX
95.375 – Avon H.S., IN

Bit of ancient history here but Carmel also did come down to SA in 2002. 

1st:  89.5 - Carmel
2nd:  89.25 - LD Bell
3rd:  87.9 - Reagan