UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

6 minutes ago, washedupalum2017 said:

how has the livestream been? considering subscribing for finals...

Was pretty good for the most part during prelims, definitely worth $12. I wish the ensemble field mics could be better -- the audio is a bit muddy. But it is hard to mic an entire band that's moving around a large field...

10 minutes ago, TacosNSalsa said:

They are two different issues. Agree completely.

The biggest concern is that if a timing penalty was ignored for one band, but it was upheld for several other schools - what is the factor used to make this decision? I don't want to see kids disqualified - that said, if Wax went over, they should have been DQ, and the next band in line (whoever it is) moves up. Those are the rules. In the past, UIL has been clear about things like this at Area and Region - bands who go even one second over, whether its clock operator error, director error, or whatever, have been disqualified. If we are going to show leniency at state, then that should be in the rules. Personally, I do not think the 8:00 thing is worth the stress it creates, but that's neither here nor there it is the rule on the books and others have been held to it.

UIL has so many rules that are restrictive and stressful, that all of the bands who stayed within 8:00 yesterday made necessary accommodations to do so. But, the message communicated when rules are not enforced evenly is that they apply to some, not all.

The solution yesterday could have been to advance the 14 bands who earned it playing by the rules, and a special accommodation made for Wax. But, if that precedent is set, then it should be adhered to going forward.

Sorry for everyone dealing with this. Cooler heads will prevail. Be kind to one another. Kids read this stuff.

See, normally I'd agree with this whole premise, however, we are all going on what is being said here, on a message board. Not to say it isn't absolutely true, but it's still message board fodder and I think that I know one of y'all in real life. 

So color me skeptical of everything I read on the internet. We don't know the details. We don't know EXACTLY what happened. We know something something something something OMG TIME something CTJ something something.

OK. Have a great one y'all.

5 minutes ago, BandFan95 said:

See, normally I'd agree with this whole premise, however, we are all going on what is being said here, on a message board. Not to say it isn't absolutely true, but it's still message board fodder and I think that I know one of y'all in real life. 

So color me skeptical of everything I read on the internet. We don't know the details. We don't know EXACTLY what happened. We know something something something something OMG TIME something CTJ something something.

OK. Have a great one y'all.

Also true, I used the term "if" specifically because I am reacting and responding to what is coming from the board and people who were attending the event yesterday.

1 minute ago, PercussionDad said:

No one is owed a spot in finals. There is a long history of leniency at state for issues. New Diana’s drum major freezing up and the director having to go on the field and start the band. Ronald Reagan several years ago with electronics issues that started 3 minutes late. A balloon being accidentally released during prelims at the Alamodome years ago. I believe the directors received a warning in those cases. 

As good as CTJ was, they didn’t make the top 14. End of story. 

I remember the issue with New Diana! That is a throwback.

11 minutes ago, PercussionDad said:

No one is owed a spot in finals. There is a long history of leniency at state for issues. New Diana’s drum major freezing up and the director having to go on the field and start the band. Ronald Reagan several years ago with electronics issues that started 3 minutes late. A balloon being accidentally released during prelims at the Alamodome years ago. I believe the directors received a warning in those cases. 

As good as CTJ was, they didn’t make the top 14. End of story. 

I agree with leniency - I wish that had been afforded to several bands who were DQ at Area in recent years. I take issue with the lack of consistency, and what is the standard that was applied to those groups vs. the ones at state.

2 hours ago, Coolhornplayer said:

These are the average scores from the top 15 bands. Marcus and Hebron are so close together right now

vandegrift 963.7142857
Marcus 960.7142857
Hebron 960.4285714

Flowermound  957

woodlands 952.2857143
Reagan 948.8571429
vista ridge 947.5714286
Coppell 937.2857143
Round Rock 929.7142857
Pearland 928.7142857
Keller 920.7142857
Bridgeland 917.1428571
Cy-Fair 913.5714286
Waxahachie 911.1428571
CTJ 901.1428571

Wow a 10 point drop off between 7th and 8th. These averages are so interesting. 

7 minutes ago, SleepySeal said:

I’m at the 6a finals for the first time ever. I’ve seen prelims live before but never finals. Excited to be here to see the best of the best high school bands among Texas. 

I came for the first time in 21.  I was absolutely floored by the quality of the bands and the sounds they produced playing in the Alamodome.  Then saw pen-striped - caught me quite off guard.  High school bands aren't supposed to be able to do that.  So i thought.

3 minutes ago, HornBlorgis9000 said:

I came for the first time in 21.  I was absolutely floored by the quality of the bands and the sounds they produced playing in the Alamodome.  Then saw pen-striped - caught me quite off guard.  High school bands aren't supposed to be able to do that.  So i thought.

Wow I came to prelims for the first time in 21 too. Was absolutely amazed by Vista, Vandegrift and Hebron. Can’t wait to see them again today!

7 minutes ago, HornBlorgis9000 said:

I first attended in the mid-1980's when it was at UT's stadium in Austin. It was just as exciting back then and something I will never forget. At that time they did all classes, both prelims and finals, in one day. Only 5 bands in each class for finals then, so making finals was tough. And no 6A class then, either.

14 hours ago, packwick said:

oooo, some seemingly really nutty results in those ordinals. uil, gurl, u spicy!!!

The ordinals system is mathematically, er, "challenged". It introduces an element of randomness (you could say spiciness) into the overall rankings. Thus there can be position shuffling in the overall placements that have little to do with the judges' actual scores. Without seeing the score sheets, I can't say that happened in this particular contest. But being a "fuzzy" subjective contest in the first place, IMHO it'd be better if the scoring system wouldn't add this additional spice. Then again, maybe it just adds to the excitement. :)

4 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

And If I have this right (correct me if I’m not) this is the finalists breakdown by major city:

DFW- 6

Houston- 4

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Congratulations to Houston bands!!! Most I’ve seen since….? Who has stats? In 2021, I believe only TWHS; 2022, THWHS AND Pearland? or was Cy-Fair in there too?

1 hour ago, Bandmomlover said:

Congratulations to Houston bands!!! Most I’ve seen since….? Who has stats? In 2021, I believe only TWHS; 2022, THWHS AND Pearland? or was Cy-Fair in there too?

I don't think Houston has ever had 4 in finals before.  Houston was very strong in the 90's but there were only 5 or 7 finalists total back then.

In fact, the last time they had 3 in finals was 2004: Langham Creek, TWHS, Clements

7 hours ago, SlowDriver said:

Wylie won’t be there.  They are done for the year.  Surprised too since they essentially tied Dripping Spring Saturday in Waco to see them drop so much after a great run. 

There are things that bands of America cares about that UIL does not. Why they placing lower doesn't surprise me at all.